Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: STOLEN! Orange '73 in Oakland, CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ammason
Hey all, just to be aware, my '73 2.0L was stolen from in front of my friend's place in Oakland, CA. I'm talking with the Oakland PD, but they're obviously not very hopeful.

The car was a bright orange '73 bought from CAMP 914 in April. Webber 40IDFs, black painted bumpers, sway bar and Konis in the front, Bilsteins and 140# springs in the back, bare metal Fuchs all around, banana muffler exhaust, center console, old silver tape player for a stereo. The driver side headlight relay was going out, so when you turn on the headlights they would both go up, but the driver side light would just keep going up and down untill you caught it just right with the switch.

If anyone has any information about my baby PLEASE send me an email. I am not interested in dealing with the police in the matter, I'd just like my car back.

The worst thing about this is that a friend of mine was taking care of it while I was travelling through Egypt, and it was stolen about 30 days ago while I was gone, so that now he feels awful and I'm stuck chasing it 30 days later.

I don't have any hope that it'll turn up, but if you guys see, or have seen in the last month, something like this pop up in the paper or on the street, please let me know...

aaron@aaronmason.com

I'd tell you guys to watch out, but hey, I do live in Oakland...

Cheers...
Midtowner
Sorry to hear the bad news. Gotta license plate and VIN number to share? I'll be on the look out. wacko.gif
Racing914six
Do you have some pictures?
rhodyguy
i know exactly what your experiencing. i hope you car comes home safe and relatively sound. when mine was boosted, i damn near had a heart attack.

k
Allan
QUOTE (ammason @ Dec 25 2005, 02:32 AM)
The worst thing about this is that a friend of mine was taking care of it while I was travelling through Egypt, and it was stolen about 30 days ago while I was gone, so that now he feels awful and I'm stuck chasing it 30 days later.

Didn't your friend call the cops when it went missing?

That sucks. I hope they find it and it's still in good shape.
Lou W
Maybe you should post the VIN number and License Plate here and the Bird. sad.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Lou W @ Dec 25 2005, 08:37 AM)
Maybe you should post the VIN number and License Plate here and the Bird. sad.gif

agree.gif

Maybe Craig has an old photo to post. Or a vin. we could watch for. confused24.gif
horizontally-opposed
shocked[1].gif

I'll keep an eye out in the city and Marin...but I haven't seen an orange 914 like yours in a while. If I remember correctly, that was a NICE car from CAMP 914.

So sorry you lost it --- but fortunately Porsche made 115,000 of the things. Even if half are gone from rust and another half of that from neglect/abuse, there are surely some good ones out there. Maybe even a better one. That said, I know what it's like to develop a bond with one 914 in particular! And the outrage!

I've always wondered how much of a theft target a clean, nice 914 is...and when it's going to become "too" valuable for its parts...

pete

mikey
Post a picture if you have one. If it shows up in San Francisco I'll let you know!

dmenche914
Try getting the CHP involved if oakland is useless.
Dr. Roger
if they have not parted it out, i believe there is agood chance of getting it back. as there are so few orange 914's on the roads at this time.

i'm just north of you and will definately keep a look out.

you should post some pics and #'s of the car.

roger
ammason
Thanks for the looking out. The VIN on the car is 4732915108. Craig might have some pics left over - I never really took any except one that for some reason keep sgettin gchewed up when I try to FTP it up to my website. I'll check on it and have it posted in an hour or so...
Brad Roberts
With the number of people this club has in the Oakland area.. the thief is going to have a VERY hard time trying to part it out without someone in this group running across the parts/car.

Get the pics up. I *think* I know which one this is.. but pics would help.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Dec 26 2005, 02:08 PM)
With the number of people this club has in the Oakland area..

i better go downstairs and check if mine is still there ... ohmy.gif

post some pics so i know what to look out for ...
unsure.gif Andy
9146R
Be sure to notify all the parts houses and maybe the Porsche shops in Alameda county at least. I live on the other side of the tunnel - will keep my eyes peeled. That sucks....I hope you find it and deal with the scoflaws that took your baby. Too bad we can't post the i.d. on amber alert too.

Good luck,
Greg ar15.gif
Brad Roberts
post the i.d. on amber alert too.

I honestly believe that system could be easily hacked..LOL

B
porschecb
How did they ever get it in first gear? Thats why I don't have shift pattern knob! wink.gif Sorry about your loss! Did you check out your friends friends?
Brad Roberts
Ha ha... a decent running 2.0 will take off in second gear all day. I normally do a fule pump cutoff with a semi hidden switch.

B
porschecb
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Dec 26 2005, 03:55 PM)
Ha ha... a decent running 2.0 will take off in second gear all day. I normally do a fule pump cutoff with a semi hidden switch.

B

I know! Just a running joke! (get it?) Still sorry for the loss!!!!!!!!!!!!
boxstr
Sorry to read about your 914 being stolen, that is a really sucky thing to have happen. I would keep my eyes on the CL and ebay, plus some of th elocal ads.
Fun if it should show up back here someone calling to ask if I want to buy it,"sure bring it over, I have cahs waiting for you" and the cops.
CCLINHOTTAMALE
boxstr
Interior.
boxstr
rear quarter
ammason
That's the one! The steering wheel was changed to an aftermarket wheel, but other than that they're perfect. Thanks for posting them and thanks again for keeping the eye out... Here's the only one I can find... The giant red car in front is the one I drove across the country in July. My friend didn't call the police when it dissappeared because he figured it'd been towed (even though there was still a car with tow notices on the same street that had been there for months) and was waiting for me to get back to deal with it.

I've spoken with John down at EASY, the Oakland PD has registered it as a stolen car, and I'll watch craigslist... Any other ideas as to who else I should contact locally that might be able to keep an eye out (parts shops, etc.)?

A couple of identifying characteristics are the addition of the 914/6 hand throttle next to the gear shift and the chip in the windshield right behind the rearview mirror (from the driver's perspective). The engine is a 1974 2.0L with finned aluminum valve covers.

The license plates are from Oregon: YTQ 136

user posted image

Would it help if I posted a long list of all the parts on the car that could be parted out?

Thanks again guys!
Roger D.
I would suggest watching Porsche's for sale on Craig's list. A lot of stuff winds up for sale there.

Roger D.
'74 2.0
neo914-6
How about a "MISSING 914" ad like missing children on the homepage or header?

More likely the thief took it for a joy ride. I hope you get it back...
Dr Evil
Since you are in Oakland, check with Easy Auto on Harlan near 49th and San Pablo (IIRC). I used to live there huh.gif They only deal in old porsche parts.

Good luck.
EdwardBlume
This is awful to see. Good luck in getting your car back. Keep spreading the word.
nomore9one4
I did not check it out,but there is a orange 914 just listed on ebay.It is in Colorado.I am sure it nothing,but I would love to see it found that easy! I hope it turns up in usable shape. headbang.gif Update..After further review of the ebay car it is the right color,but nothing else is similiar.Sorry! ph34r.gif
Brad Roberts
Don't lose hope it took me 18 months to get mine back, the people who stole mine and ended up with felonies for their efforts are, ************, and Brad Allen Roberts. Brad used a friend by the name of ****** and a local title company to get a lean title on my car.(No I did not.. never had a title on the car) Make sure the DMV knows that it is stolen, make sure it's on the list in all 50 states. From what I heard from other people it was not Brads first time.

Sam,

who runs this site? Do you not understand that every time you turn your computer on...we know it?

If you are going to send out PM's and email to people.. at least give me a shot to defend myself.

I used the lien company to search for previous owners. Get it straight.. please. It is all documented 1500 times in the court docs.

Oh.. the title company was NOT local. They are based out of San Diego county. It was the largest lien company that had been around the longest.

The above quote was sent to the person who started this thread.

B
redshift
Fuck that guy, Brad. What a piece of shit.

(guy and the car)

Happy New Year, hope it brings you insanely great things. (and ass pain for Samantha)

M
rhodyguy
asshole, whole ass unsure.gif . not you or miles b.

k
kconway
Why don't the admins pull this douche bags privliedges on this board...?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (kconway @ Dec 27 2005, 09:58 AM)

he's like a cockroach... cut his head off and he comes right back
Brad Roberts

It is more fun to track him through all the different logins he has.

It is kinda like watching a train wreck.

B
mikey
Any other ideas as to who else I should contact locally that might be able to keep an eye out (parts shops, etc.)?

It's not really local, but have someone down south check out the next swap meet in Pomona. Stolen stuff sometimes ends up there.
brant
Unbelievable....
(I'm referring to Sam)

but regarding the original poster.
I'm sorry about your car.
I'm in colorado. Does anyone have that ebay link that was mentioned? If that appears to be the same car I could look into it?

brant
GWN7
To help find your car you could make flyers with it's picture on it. List when and where it was stolen. The licence plate numbers and serial numbers and a contact number for yourself and the police.

Send or deliver them to all the local auto parts places with a letter asking if they would post the flyer. Send them to any auto recyclers also.

Join every car club board you can find. Most have a off topic thread that you could post the info too.

Who knows, someone may see the flyer and have seen the car or knows where it is.

Good luck on getting your car back...
Mark Henry
Also post it on www.thesamba.com

Bug guys are after the 2.0 and the Fuch's.

Oh and BTW....Sam pissoff.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE (brant @ Dec 27 2005, 11:39 AM)
Unbelievable....
(I'm referring to Sam)

but regarding the original poster.
I'm sorry about your car.
I'm in colorado. Does anyone have that ebay link that was mentioned? If that appears to be the same car I could look into it?

brant

I checked the auction and the car is pretty rusted out, I am sure it is not the missing 914, It was just wishful thinking on my part. confused24.gif
EdwardBlume
Saw this on Craigslist... doubt anyone is this dumb but give it a try....

PORSCHE 914 1972 PARTING OUT (CHEAP) (berkeley)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-121037781@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-12-28, 12:37PM PST

BODY IS STRAIHGT.EVERYTHING IS THERE EXCEPT THE ENG AND TRANS.CALL ME AT 510-938-0339 AND LETS TALK.
This item has been posted by-owner.

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Dead Air
this came from another topic here

"I've got a buddy who is stranded in San Antonio. Any 914ers who could lend
him a hand, please call him at 713 480 4995. His name is Lamar Felder. He
was driving his newly acquired 914/4 back from Sna Fransico and it died on
him He thinks the fuel pump went."
MecGen
[this came from another topic here]

Imagine if its the same car cool_shades.gif

Not making fun of your situation, but I would definately check the "buy and sells"

+Karma

beer.gif
ammason
Thanks for the info! I've been watching craigslist... I don't think they'd be that bold, but hey it was a month ago, maybe they let it sit for a little while...
ammason
So the car on craigslist was orange, but it was not my car. Newer paint, different wheels, no rips in the seats, rusty rotors, different speedo, no hand throttle. I really wanted it to be mine - it was in the right place, but nope.

There are a few parts on it if people are interested, but the whole driver's side was crunched (not destroyed) in an accident.
echocanyons
thesamba.com has a "stolen" page to post so people are aware of it , this might be a good idea

I hope you get it back
scotty b
A recent thread about a stolen maroon car reminded me of this one . Any news on this car ???
jimtab
This may not help but when we were coming back from Richmond on the bart I saw an orange 914 just off 7th ave(a little north) but I can't tell you the cross street...but before the freeway...hope it's yours and you get it back in one piece...didn't look like a very cool neighborhood...
computers4kids
Just a handful of 914s running around the Visalia area...it will certainly stick out if it ends-up here, even with a new coat of paint.

We'll keep our eyes open...very sorry to hear about your car.
Mark
DonTraver
Maybe post a Want to Buy add on some of the sites, ya never know. Hope you get her back, that just sucks so bad. Sending bad Karma to the thieves.

Just a FYI, Harbor Frieght sells a wireless motion detector with a range of about 100 feet for about $20. Stick the motion detector inside your car, carry the base unit into the house. If anyone opens the door it goes off, let/s you know somethings going on. Hey, it only needs to work once. It's battery powered, depending on how big the base unit is, might be good anywhere. I'm picking one up tomorrow.

Good luck, Don
jim_hoyland
I'm using Lojak; it would be nice to know whether these can be tested. Anyone know the answer ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.