Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lincoln
ok yesterday i got the starter to turn over, sounds like its too tight and after about 3 times it drains the juice in the battery to nada, was talking with my dad who was a mechanic for over 40 years and he told me sometimes if a vw has been 6 volt and swapped over to 12 you still have to use the 6 v starter- dont think this is the prob, but like i said it just seems to be too tight to the flywheel- had to borrow a couple wrenches cuz mine are all at work til tuesday heheh , so today ill be testing the old starter that was in the rear trunk , maybe rebuilding it and removing the new starter the PO installed , if the old starter works still ill reinstall it and try a remote starter switch( think ignition is bad ) hope this works

next week ill more than likely start building a fresh wiring harness, wire is free from work and so is the loom covering to make it all pretty as well as connectors that will be waterproof, relay board looks reusable as does the original fuse block

following wiring diagrams a harness isnt really that difficult- build em all the time at work without a diagram lol

lets hope for the best and go from there eh?
SLITS
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

The "VW" starter is not correct for the type 4. (One that looks like the 6 V starter or was fitted to a Type 1). The "correct" VW starter is one that was listed for the "automatic"....bendix shaft does not extend beyond the gear.

If you hook a 6V starter to 12V...it will spin madly and burn up in a short second.

Anyway, if you had the Bosch numbers off the starter, it would be easier to see if you have the correct one.
smooth_eddy
How is the condition of your battery? Is the ground strap in place on your tranny? Eddy
lincoln
stats right up now- found out it was a language problem

new starter was made in mexico and didnt speak german

actually yes it was wrong starter , one with the long shaft from the bendix gear . checked old starter and it works fine , so swapped em out and she fires right up

brakes looked ok to me, not soft on the linings etc, pedal is good- i did top off the MC

lights are good- need a new pass h light cuz low beams out

need to get wipers working now- gonna test the power to the motor and see if its just maybe a switch or if its bad

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.