Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear rotors, 5 lug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goose2
I got my rear suspension torn down a couple days ago to install bearings and a pair of Eric Shea's 5-lug hubs. It went pretty well, thanks to my BFH. smash.gif
The rotors I had planned on using are early 911 (solid) and since the diameter measured the same as the 914 rotors, I assumed they would fit. Now that it's all apart, I see that the offset on these rotors is about 1/2" different than the 914's. They're NOT gonna work. I think what I need are 914-6 rotors. Can someone verify this and recommend a good source before I lay out anymore cash for something that won't fit?
Dr. Roger
will someone please correct me if i'm wrong... but

i believe the offset is to the outer direction of the car and some 3/8" caliper spacers will do the trick. (move the caliper outwards the right amount. you may need to get longer hardened bolts...

roger
SLITS
Whatever....buy them new from PP or ?....they're cheap enough (kinda)
Eric Taylor
Randy - to bad the 911 rotors didn't fit. Wish I was there to see more of it go together, argh, I guess family time is good too wacko.gif . Any other progress on the car?
Eric
goose2
I think there's a chance I can make these rotors fit by using some spacers on the caliper mounts...but there's not much extra room there if the calipers need to go toward center. I'll probably just get some 6 rotors and do it right. Anybody need some 911 rotors?
Oled
I had no fitment problems and kept my e brakes by using 914/6 calipers with M spacers in them and SC ventilated rotors.
Aaron Cox
just buy the /6 rotors....

or redrill your 4 lug rears...

BTW - the /6 rotor is a few MM larger OD, and has been noted that SOMETIMES can interfere with the caliper
goose2

Bingo! biggrin.gif Aaron has the best answer...my 4 rotors are like new, and my neighbor has a vertical mill with all the right stuff...and he owes me a favor too.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (goose2 @ Dec 27 2005, 11:04 AM)

Bingo! biggrin.gif Aaron has the best answer...my 4 rotors are like new, and my neighbor has a vertical mill with all the right stuff...and he owes me a favor too.

only if you trust yourself....

a mm off and you got problems....
John
a mm off and you got problems....

Now just hold on there...

Are your hubs redrilled 4-cyl hubs or 6-cyl hubs.

I thought that the rear rotors center themselves up on the hub. (Not dependant on the lug bolt holes)

I would have the 5-lug (130mm) pattern drilled slightly oversize just in case one gets off a little.

You may want to also redrill the two countersunk screw holes to retain the rotor to the hub.

We did this on several sets of rotors before taking the plunge to 914-6 rear rotors.
goose2
well, yes I trust myself....I was a machinist in one of my former lives...and this guy's got all the fancy indexing gear. Now that I consider it...he's got a lathe too. I'll also check to see how the rotors center on my hubs...they're re-studded 914 hubs from Eric Shea. Thanks for the guidance biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.