Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: does anyone know the size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
double-a
help! i'm trying to install an oil pressure sender for my triple gauge, and apparently i don't have a large enough socket to pull out the sender unit. what size is that nut? it's a stock 1.8 liter engine.

thanks,

~a
Brad Roberts
Damn good question.

I *think* it is 27mm.

Here is what I suggest: grab a pair of needle nose pliars and grab the sending unit on the sides with the pliers. Start twisting. They should not be installed with more than 10lb ft or so of torque on them. You should be able to get it out without the socket.

B
double-a
yeah, it's big... like the size of the steering wheel nut. i don't have a socket deep enough, i'll try with the pliers.

~a
Porsche Rescue
If it is exactly the size of the steering wheel nut, Brad got it right....27mm. If so, 1 1/16 inch will work too.
Brad Roberts
How about this:

The two large nuts that hold the shock through bolt on the control arm are.... 27 also They are actually identical to the steering wheel nut.. probably has the same part number..LOL

B
Brad Roberts
Bingo:

Steering wheel nut: 900 078 007 02
Shock nut: 900 078 007 02

B
double-a
no good, the sender insert is too smooth, nothing i have that will fit down that hole worked. and as a bonus i sheared off the male spade connector. lovely rolleyes.gif

looks like i'm back to finding a socket. i have a 1 1/16, but it's too big for the engine tin hole.

~a
double-a
we were wrong. ohmy.gif the nut is smaller than 27mm. not sure what the exact size is, because my metrics don't go that large, but i managed to get it out with a us 1 inch socket. actual nut size is smaller than that.

but i got it done, i now have a functioning oil pressure gauge (and a nice third brake light, but that's another "while i was in there" thing). 10-bar pressure gauge reads six. normal?

~a
Mark Henry
24mm....just checked smile.gif
Allan
QUOTE (double-a @ Dec 27 2005, 01:31 PM)
10-bar pressure gauge reads six. normal?

~a

Wouldn't that convert to about 88 lbs?

I think Aarons motor runs right about there...
SLITS
AFAIR.... 1 bar = 14.7 lbs = 1 atmosphere
double-a
just got back from a drive. gauge reads about 5 at speed, 2 or 3 at idle.

it came home on a flatbed, all of a sudden it won't start, which is nice. wacko.gif cranks, sounds like it'll go, but won't fire up. fuel pump? coil?

i guess class is in session again biggrin.gif always an adventure...

~a
Mark Henry
Points maybe...time to start a new thread wink.gif
Porsche Rescue
Last time that happened to me it was a wire off at the coil. I would look there first since you were working near the coil I think.
double-a
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 27 2005, 05:21 PM)
Last time that happened to me it was a wire off at the coil. I would look there first since you were working near the coil I think.

yes i was. all the wires look good, and they're in their proper locations. i had just run out to costco and back, and when i tried to restart, it would not fire up. so how does one check the coil? i know they're not too expensive, i guess after 30 years it's due for a new one biggrin.gif

~a
lapuwali
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 27 2005, 02:14 PM)
AFAIR.... 1 bar = 14.7 lbs = 1 atmosphere

Nitpickers R us: 1 bar = 14.5psi = 100kPa = metric standard "atmosphere". The US standard is 14.7psi = 101.32kPa = 1.01bar = 29.92inHg. The usual variance will be about 102kPa to 98kPa at sea level, depending on the weather.

See what you started?
double-a
eh, that's a little over my head, i'm but a humble graphic designer. so... what's the normal range at speed and idle for a stock 1.8?

~a
double-a
update on the non-starting problem. hint: when your double relay looks like it's been sitting inverted in the engine bay with 1/4 inch of water inside, your car don' wanna start.

luckily, i had a spare. and yea the car did start, and it was very good.

~a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.