Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor - Electronic ignition question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trevorg7
So I bought points and condensor, among other parts to replace worn parts. I open the distributor cap and boom...something I don't recognize. The PO seems to have put in some sort of electronic pick up. Does anyone recognize this? I'd like to track it down to gather more information.

Thanks and let me know.

Pic - inside the distributor.

T
Trevorg7
This is the cap that sits on top.

Thoughts?

T
Brad Roberts
CB Performance used to sell something like that. I also think the CompuFire setup uses the flying metal.

I personally would leave it alone. Typically those systems dont "start" to go bad.. they fail completely.

I'm surprised you dont have something else in the engine compartment to go along with that setup. I'm guessing that it hooks up directly to the coil??

B
Trevorg7
Thanks B - Yes it connects directly to a non descript coil.

Do you know if it is hotter than stock?
Brad Roberts
Show me the coil.

Anything electronic is going to give the coil more time to "saturate" compared to the points. Points take time to open and close (dwell time).. electronic happens right now and essentially has no dwell time.

This is about as easy as I can put it.

B
Trevorg7
Here it is.

Thanks
Brad Roberts
It is not the Compufire biggrin.gif or the CB. Both had their own coil setups.

Run it.

What problem ar you chasing?

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. FYI: mount that pump a tad lower in the chassis (like the stock loaction) those diaphram style do suck the fuel, but they are better pushers than pullers.

B
Trevorg7
I looked up the Compu-fire and picture to picture it looks the same.

I am chasing a heavy engine load (accelorating up hill for example) lack of power issue. Interesting you mention the fuel pump in the back of the picture. I was wondering if my problem is fuel starvation.

Where is the stock location?
Trevorg7
When I say lack of power up hill I mean spuddering to the point that I have to downshift.
Brad Roberts
Sounds to me like it is running out of gas.

The stock location is under the car just in front of the engine mount that hangs down on the right hand side (passenger side) If it is not completely rusted out your should have two rubber mounts hanging down from the engine shelf area. The FACET pumps mount directly to this.

B
Brad Roberts
Your current pump location is more than half way up the actual tank location.

I'm betting your robbing power from the coil also to power the pump?

Run it off the stock wiring with a fuse and a relay (all should still be in place)

B
Trevorg7
Thanks for all your help Brad.

So here are some pics....am I getting the idea?

T
Trevorg7
btw - not rusted out...very little surface rust.
Trevorg7
and the far corner in front of the battery.
Trevorg7
Ok, sorry disregard the pictures as I just noticed you mention Under the car.

I'll take a look...should be no rust there either.

I'll post pics.

T
Brad Roberts
The backside of the rubber grommets are just behind this wiring loom, but the pump goes under the car.

B
Brad Roberts
ergerg
lapuwali
The fuel pump mounts are lower still, below the engine shelf. They're pretty much impossibe to see w/o good light. They're two rubber mounted studs, which miraculously have exactly the right spacing to mount a Facet-style carb pump, like you're running. You can run the fuel hose to the right after it leaves the firewall, connect to the pump, then run it up through the hole in the tin to a regulator, then to the carbs.

Brad Roberts
The fuel pump mounts are lower still, below the engine shelf.

Negatory good buddy. They are on the shelf.

B
Trevorg7
You guys Rock!

Thanks for your help. I'll have to jack up the car tomorrow as I cannot get good pics tonight.

Thanks

T
Trevorg7
Brad - that is the fuel pump in the background of the pic true?
Brad Roberts
Dont thank anyone until it runs laugh.gif If you need any more help I can send a few girls over to help you. Jenny and Birgit are both in the San Jose area and know the cars pretty damn well..LOL

B
Brad Roberts
Brad - that is the fuel pump in the background of the pic true?

Correct. The one pictured just so happens to be a carburetor pump for a 9146. They looke identical to the stock 4cyl fuel injection fuel pump.

B
Trevorg7
Ok, oil change day so I got a chance to crawl around under the car.

So two questions, are these the mounts for the stock fuel pump (blue arrows) and (red arrows) is this the stock fuel filter?

Thanks

T
TravisNeff
Yep, you are correct.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.