Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Titanium Billet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
How much would a 6x6x8 billet of Titanium cost? Anyone know?
scotty b
Lowe's has it, in the bolt / metal isle for $20.00 they usually have a good stock of it. Good luck blink.gif
TimT
1x3x12 costs $212 for Grade 4 (40KSI-YS) and 521 for grade 5 (6AL-4V)

You can kind of extrapolate from there
TimT
Oh and then machining it opens up all sorts of hidden costs wink.gif
Andyrew
Ft or inches? biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 26 2005, 08:10 PM)
Ft or inches? biggrin.gif

If it's in metric maybe he's not going....DOH!
Katmanken
Ouch!

This is gonna hurt......

happy11.gif

Ken
LvSteveH
There are a couple places online that carry it, sorry, I don't recall who. You can try www.metalspecialty.com at 1-800-345-3140 or others. Depending on the grade of Ti, I'm guessing $500+. You'll want to research the various alloys, because pure titanium doesn't offer any real advantage to billet aluminum. It's the various alloys that make it the metal of choice for high end projects. It's a challenge to work with in terms of machining and welding, but you probably already know that. You might try calling Timet directly, to see if they can refer you, that’s what I did last time. For welding, I’d get one of the cheap bead blast cabinets from harbor freight, and turn it into an argon chamber. Sounds fun!
McMark
Ahhh. Yeah. I figured, but, ya know. Gotta ask. pinch.gif
sixnotfour

Titanium Plate Grade 2  
Dimensions
Dimension Name Value
Thickness 3"

(Technical information is located at the bottom of the page)  

Weight/square foot: 70.416 pounds  

Select Size:  12 inches x 12 inches - $7,147.22

Onlinemetals.com
100bucks a pound and a piece that size is rare

J P Stein
We have a 5000 lb forging at work from the Ruuskis....
96K.....shipping alone would have got you a used Boxster.
We'll mill it down to 800 lbs.
It's some new trick alloy. *Nobody* else wanted the job.
We gotta segragate the scrap & ship it back.
Ain't we "lucky". wacko.gif
TravisNeff
sounds like it is one level under unobtainium, lol
J P Stein
The whole freakin' airplane is made out of various forms of unobtainium. If you know of a manufacture that makes CF mat, buy their stock. Scarebus & the Lazy B are tying up most all of the supplies. We've got more than 300 of these sold....we haven't got any built yet......but that's not important now wacko.gif Anything touching CF structure & must be made of Ti.
Since most all of the structure is CF...... unsure.gif
DNHunt
This is a little off topic, but we use titanium pins in teeth. They are self tapping, threaded pins that shear at a score when they bottom in the pilot hole. They are something like 1/2 mm in diameter and 4 mm long. Oh ya they make a cool liight show in peoples mouths when you hit them with a diamond drill. We don't tell people about that.

Titanium implants are cool too.

Dave
airsix
Try Halpern Titanium. Family run and good pricing. Nice people to deal with. I get my 6AL/4VA sheet from them.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.