Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll Cage Fabricator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kdfoust
I want to line up a fabricator for the cage in my car. This needs to get done in January so I need to start talking to these people pretty quickly. I know about TCDesign up in the Bay Area. Have any of you had experience with cage fabricators in SOUTHERN Ca? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Kevin
rpmmaxxed
Have yet to do business with them personally, but seen some of their completed work. Looks top notch.

http://www.autopowerindustries.com/
silversprint
Call Sam at Proto in Riverside. He builds custom cages for NASA race cars. He is also a great driver. He can also get your cage NASA certified. One word of caution, he does not do bolt in cages. He will only do a weld in cage. Also he will not paint it. You will have to do that yourself.

<----He built the rollbar for my MR2 spyder.

Proto
phone: (951) 276-3395
Brad Roberts
Kevin,

lots and lots of people can put cages into 914's, but VERY few (if any) know were the cars are weak. TC knows. We spent a LOT of time together building upwards of 15-16 cages over a 2 year period.

I'm up to 5 cars now that people have brought to me after they had someone else do a cage for them based on pictures from some of the cars TC did with me in the past. Rarely do they ever get it right.. and it typically costs them more than what TC charges. The fab work was top notch, but it doesnt mean they know the tubs.

B
turbo914v8
What about us? The poor bastards in Canada. I have tried till I have turned blue in the face to get Tony to put together a cage that I can bring home and have professionally welded in, all to no avail. I am still searching for that imaginary shop that knows 914's that can, and would be willing to put a cage in my 914. You’re so lucky that you have access to Tony. Stop wasting time and effort, just bring your car to Tony and get it done properly the first time.
Brad Roberts
Paul,

Let me speak with AutoPower down here in SD. They would *probably* package something for you that is weld in. They are super nice people. I just need to show them were we go. I have to take a Boxster to them over the next few weeks for a custom cage so I will ask them then.

If you witnessed how a cage was built into the cars, you would understand how hard it is to make something generic enough to fit all the cars.

B
kdfoust
Well I've nothing against using TC to do the cage. However, with the number of 914s in California it just seems hard to believe that there's only one competent cage fabricator for this car. I'd just like to find a competent fabricater that won't F66K up my car that's local to me. That's all.
beerchug.gif

If I can't find one I'll go to TC. But TC is like FIVE HUNDRED MILES from me. Might as well be in Texas...
blink.gif

I do appreciate the current experience TC's got on 914s.

Later,
Kevin
Aaron Cox
a guy at the local PCA AX had his cage done by a nascar guy in riverside.....

might be the above mentioned fella

AA
pete-stevers
how about some pictures of a cage that works well ...
i would like to put one in in spring but am not sure if i will tie in the rear suspesion of just put a simple cage in the compartment.....but more info will be needed
Brad do you have pics of some?
silversprint
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2005, 06:54 PM)
a guy at the local PCA AX had his cage done by a nascar guy in riverside.....

might be the above mentioned fella

AA

Proto is not NASCAR but NASA. As in the road racing organization.
turbo914v8
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Dec 26 2005, 07:20 PM)
Paul,

Let me speak with AutoPower down here in SD. They would *probably* package something for you that is weld in. They are super nice people. I just need to show them were we go. I have to take a Boxster to them over the next few weeks for a custom cage so I will ask them then.

If you witnessed how a cage was built into the cars, you would understand how hard it is to make something generic enough to fit all the cars.

B

Brad that would be great. I know who d@m busy you are these days. We are talking about a full cage, tying all four corners together. When you find something out just drop me a line.

I understand that the install of the cage is very difficult. I just figured that Tony would be able to make duplicate bars on one of his 914 cage installs. I understand that it’s a custom fit, however I figured that the duplicate bars would be close enough that a competent fabricator could tweak the bars enough to make it all fit nice. Maybe I am out too lunch, I don’t know. I just figured that something like that would work if he was willing to do it. If I had the cash I would send my tub to Tony and be done with it. But that's not going to happen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.