http://www.thereporter.com/news/ci_3333933

another car gone

Very sad story
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE (mk114 @ Dec 27 2005, 05:11 PM)
http://www.thereporter.com/news/ci_3333933

another car gone

Very sad story

Another driver gone. Not wearing a seatbelt. People sometimes chuckle when I do-up my 5 point harness. I'll continue to make sure it's good and tight.
Elliot
Brad Roberts
WOW.

We have several members in that area.

Man that sucks.

B
porschecb
NORTH BAY 914 lives in Fairfield. He may know him.

btw how did you come by this story when you live in UT?

Bummer deal thats for sure. Rain/no seat belt/to fast/ not a good combo.
mk114
I work for a Telephone company as a internet tech and I set a alert to find all porsche 914 stories for me.

I find alot of weird fact out Like

Ice T Loves porsche 914's

But local stories also flow through too!!!!
Mr.C
That's terrible. I hope it wasn't anybody here. sad.gif
Brad Roberts
I searched our database and didnt find a John Charles Cintas.

B
Trekkor
Wasn't there a guy that works out at Sears at a t-shirt print shop who has a 914-6 conversion and lives in Vacaville?

KT
Brad Roberts
What is the guy's name that bought Dunkles 6 conversion car? He left here and went back to Rennlist? He lives in that area, not too far from that exit.

Dominic used to live in Vacaville, but moved to the east coast a year or so ago.

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Dec 27 2005, 06:09 PM)
What is the guy's name that bought Dunkles 6 conversion car? He left here and went back to Rennlist? He lives in that area, not too far from that exit.

Dominic used to live in Vacaville, but moved to the east coast a year or so ago.

B

=thats martin and alison baker....
SirAndy
sad.gif sad ...
messix
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ever one here please wear your seat belts always, even just around the block. i have lost and have friends injured, paralized and brain damaged, just from that simple task of wearing that slightly annoying belt.
markb
QUOTE (messix @ Dec 27 2005, 06:09 PM)
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ever one here please wear your seat belts always, even just around the block.

agree.gif
Alison Baker
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Dec 27 2005, 05:09 PM)

B

You mean Martin .........

And that is our exit too our house
Alison Baker
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 27 2005, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Dec 27 2005, 06:09 PM)

B

=thats martin and alison baker....

Thank you Aaron !!!

Andyrew
More reason for me to tell the cops to piss off if they say they dont like my 5 points...

Hopefully I'll never have to do that.

Sad story indeed.
EdwardBlume
Geez, that's too bad.... RIP

On the way home from an AX a couple years ago, Jason Samson passed me on 101 still wearing his helmet. At first, I thought it looked kind of odd, but then when I started thinking about the drivers around here it sort of made sense.
pfierb
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 27 2005, 11:02 PM)
More reason for me to tell the cops to piss off if they say they dont like my 5 points...

Sad story indeed.

you mean the cops in California bother you for wearing a 5 point harness?
914Timo
Very sad story.

...., later identified as Cintas, who...

Cintas ?? What does that mean ?? Sorry, but I really do not understand. Could somebody translate and/or explain.
type47
QUOTE (914Timo @ Dec 28 2005, 04:26 AM)

...., later identified as Cintas, who...

Cintas ?? What does that mean ?? Sorry, but I really do not understand. Could somebody translate and/or explain.

the name of the driver?
Dominic
Sorry, I have never heard of that guy either and I have lived in Vacaville for many years. There were a few 914's floating around the area, but I don't recall seeing a silver 74' ??

Martin, have you ever met this guy ?
maf914
That is very sad. The seat belt may not have saved him, but it would have increased his chances greatly.

I have always worn seat belts and required any passengers in my cars to do so, it's automatic, but I am amazed at the number of people who continue to ignore both laws and common sense with respect to seat belt use. This past year a co-worker told me he had been stopped for speeding and was given a citation for not wearing his seat belt. I asked him why he wasn't wearing a belt and he responded that it wasn't necessary, he didn't feel like it and no one had the right to require that he wear one. Wasn't necessary? This person is a mechanical engineer who must have had to take all of the basic physics courses, statics and dynamics. He should have some concept of mass, velocity, acceleration, and force. I was really surprised by his response, but it reminded me of how differently people can view issues.
bd1308
QUOTE (maf914 @ Dec 28 2005, 08:03 AM)
That is very sad. The seat belt may not have saved him, but it would have increased his chances greatly.

I have always worn seat belts and required any passengers in my cars to do so, it's automatic, but I am amazed at the number of people who continue to ignore both laws and common sense with respect to seat belt use. This past year a co-worker told me he had been stopped for speeding and was given a citation for not wearing his seat belt. I asked him why he wasn't wearing a belt and he responded that it wasn't necessary, he didn't feel like it and no one had the right to require that he wear one. Wasn't necessary? This person is a mechanical engineer who must have had to take all of the basic physics courses, statics and dynamics. He should have some concept of mass, velocity, acceleration, and force. I was really surprised by his response, but it reminded me of how differently people can view issues.

its scary that a ME doesnt think a seat belt is necessary. I'm going outside to install my Ljet w00t.gif

b
motorhead
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ever one here please wear your seat belts always, even just around the block. i have lost and have friends injured, paralized and brain damaged, just from that simple task of wearing that slightly annoying belt.

Couldn't agree more. Been a firefighter for 25 years. I can probably count on one hand the number of dead bodies I've pulled out of seat belts.
lotus_65
QUOTE (maf914 @ Dec 28 2005, 09:03 AM)
That is very sad.  The seat belt may not have saved him, but it would have increased his chances greatly.

I have always worn seat belts and required any passengers in my cars to do so, it's automatic, but I am amazed at the number of people who continue to ignore both laws and common sense with respect to seat belt use.  This past year a co-worker told me he had been stopped for speeding and was given a citation for not wearing his seat belt.  I asked him why he wasn't wearing a belt and he responded that it wasn't necessary, he didn't feel like it and no one had the right to require that he wear one.  Wasn't necessary?  This person is a mechanical engineer who must have had to take all of the basic physics courses, statics and dynamics.  He should have some concept of mass, velocity, acceleration, and force.  I was really surprised by his response, but it reminded me of how differently people can view issues.

a guy i know said he didn't want to wear a seatbelt because he thought he'd be trapped when the car caught fire, or drown or something... any mathematicians out there want to calculate those odds? 1 atom in an ocean i bet!

that same arguement is really popular here with the motorcycling crowd (there's no law against going helmetless in mn). one guy i know said he'd rather be dead than badly debilitated by a crash! it just seems like wonton ignorance to me, despite their i.q.'s

there is really nothing like riding a bike sans helmet, though. i did it once at a park!
North Bay 914
QUOTE (Dominic @ Dec 28 2005, 05:41 AM)
Martin, have you ever met this guy ?

Never seen a silver one around here, I just met a guy with a yellow six conversion in Suisun, and I know where a 73 2.0 is sitting in Vacaville, but have not seen this one. I drive that exit daily, and love it. In the rain it commands respect. Its a fast exit. Normally you can continue highway speed almost to the light. It exits to the right, makes a constant radius uphill, with a quick switchback to the left, arriving at the stop light, its not a very complicated set of corners, but as I said, you can maintain good speed all the way through. I'll drive it today to see the scene. Maybe I'll take a photo for reference. so you can see the exit.

The car is possibly impounded just about a block away, where the CHP station is there on Travis Blvd. Thats the second 914 crash in the area this year. A friend of mine lost their 71 in a crash in Fairfield.
North Bay 914
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 27 2005, 05:08 PM)
Wasn't there a guy that works out at Sears at a t-shirt print shop who has a 914-6 conversion and lives in Vacaville?

KT

Thats the guy I just met, lives in Suisun...Chris is his name. His car is Yellow. They are two doors down from where I work. He told me yesterday when he saw the red car, Man its good to see a 914 on the road. I do like driving it, so far is has been a great car. Very dependable, and good MPG. It has set the GT back a bit while I fix a few things on the red car to make it the way PORSCHE should have built to begin with, mainly the 5 lug conversion.

Toast
"..and struck an overhead freeway sign,"
ohmy.gif
And how airborn was he!?

RIP 914 and Driver.

I'm very avid about seat belts, even if it's just around the block.
I've seen what someone looks like going through a windshield. blink.gif icon8.gif sad.gif
lapuwali
On the ME's attitude, while I disagree with him that they're "not necessary", I do agree that it's not the gummit's job to be your mom, and prevent you from being an idiot, so long as you're only going to be harming yourself. I vigorously defend the right of every moron to kill themselves in any way they see fit, so long as they don't take any bystanders with them.

As for the general seatbelt attitude, you have to remember that seat belts were not required in cars in the US until 1968. My '67 912 has only lap belts, and they were a dealer-installed OPTION. Until the 1970s, it was commonplace to see racing cars with no seatbelts fitted, even all the way up to F1. The primary fear was fire, and quite a few drivers felt safer actually being "thrown clear" during a crash. This was a fairly lethal era in racing, when the cars were extremely fragile things with the driver literally surrounded by fuel. There was a tank under and behind his seat, in tanks on either side of him, and often another one dangling over his legs (no refuelling pitstops in those days, so you had to take it all with you). The belts probably wouldn't have helped much, as any forces on the car would be transmitted straight to you pretty much unattenuated, and if you were thrown out, it was just your inertia at play, not the inertia of 1000lbs of car, too.

That attitude made it's way into the minds of the general public, and even today, people buy SUVs to "be safe", thinking they need 4000+lbs of steel around them to survive their own inability to control it, and prefer to have several explosive devices fitted to help protect them when they lose it.

bondo
QUOTE (Rob Ways @ Dec 27 2005, 09:48 PM)
On the way home from an AX a couple years ago, Jason Samson passed me on 101 still wearing his helmet. At first, I thought it looked kind of odd, but then when I started thinking about the drivers around here it sort of made sense.

Someone died a while back on thier way home from practicing rally driving. He had cleared a dirt road, used all his safety equipment (harness, helmet, full cage) and did his practicing. After he was done and driving home, he loosened his harness a little and took off his helmet. He was in a regular old low speed survivable acident (rear ended or something) and his head hit the roll cage.

I will never have a cage in a car that I don't ALWAYS wear a helmet in. There's a reason for all that padding on the inside of the targa bar and windshield frame.
North Bay 914
DUI... Looks like he crashed between the first and second corner. Heavy rain that night. I will drive it again tomorrow in the light. The sign is mounted on a pole next to the pavement. He never went airborne. Rumor is the car is not heavily damaged, and was in great shape prior to the accident. No seatbelt, not much speed required to really hurt you.
mikelsr
QUOTE (markb @ Dec 27 2005, 06:27 PM)
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ever one here please wear your seat belts always, even just around the block.

agree.gif

I also agree. I lost my big brother because he wasn't wearing his seat belt.
jimtab
People who drive without seatbelts and those who play the lottery are condemed from failure of understanding generally obtained in physics and math classes. And while I don't like the government sticking their noses in anywhere...ask anyone....if a dipshit with no seatbelt and no insurance busts his mellon and survives..my taxes are used to care for him...screw that. Just my .02
Howard
QUOTE (jimtab @ Dec 28 2005, 09:15 PM)
People who drive without seatbelts and those who play the lottery are condemed from failure of understanding generally obtained in physics and math classes. And while I don't like the government sticking their noses in anywhere...ask anyone....if a dipshit with no seatbelt and no insurance busts his mellon and survives..my taxes are used to care for him...screw that. Just my .02

Preachin' to the choir, here. I won't impair your Civil Rights to not use seat belts or motorcycle helmets if you provide your Blue Cross card or post a $1mil bond. Our community hospital (at the foot of Decker Canyon) went broke from all the uninsured canyon hot dogs that were checked in every weekend.
jimtab
QUOTE (Howard @ Dec 28 2005, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (jimtab @ Dec 28 2005, 09:15 PM)
People who drive without seatbelts and those who play the lottery are condemed from failure of understanding generally obtained in physics and math classes.  And while I don't like the government sticking their noses in anywhere...ask anyone....if a dipshit with no seatbelt and no insurance busts his mellon and survives..my taxes are used to care for him...screw that.  Just my .02

Preachin' to the choir, here. I won't impair your Civil Rights to not use seat belts or motorcycle helmets if you provide your Blue Cross card or post a $1mil bond. Our community hospital (at the foot of Decker Canyon) went broke from all the uninsured canyon hot dogs that were checked in every weekend.

agree.gif Yup...
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 28 2005, 09:21 AM)
I will never have a cage in a car that I don't ALWAYS wear a helmet in. There's a reason for all that padding on the inside of the targa bar and windshield frame.

that's why you put padding on your rollcage ...

the rollcage metal is no different than a doorframe or windshieldframe yet you happily drive a car with both every day.

does your "normal" car have padding around the drivers side top of the door?
cool_shades.gif Andy
neo914-6
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 28 2005, 06:37 AM)
its scary that a ME doesnt think a seat belt is necessary.
b

Being technically brilliant doesn't mean you have common sense, I know lot's of them. wink.gif

The real reason Jason wore the helmet was because his car was loud laugh.gif
jetboy
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 27 2005, 07:02 PM)

Sad story indeed.

Just make sure if your using a 4 or 5 point harness that you have a roll cage as well. Try to duck to dashboard level with them and see how low your head. This is where your head will be if you roll over and flatten the roof without a cage. Much safer to go with stock style if your not using a cage.
gregrobbins
I vigorously defend the right of every moron to kill themselves in any way they see fit, so long as they don't take any bystanders with them.

If my taxes have to pay to care for you the rest of your life because you want to exercise your freedom to be a moron, then I (and the government) have a say in how you act. Some insurance policies provide lesser coverage if a seat belt is not worn, that is just more for the tax payers to pick up. The penalty for driving without belts should be stronger!

Still something like 30% of the public does not wear belts.

Go figure.
ConeDodger
I agree with Martin. That exit does not require heavy braking until you get close to the light. No talent required. The intersection is the entrance to the busiest part of Fairfield. Not more than 3/4 mile from Martin and Alison's house. I have worked in EMS and Emergency medical education all of my adult life and still laugh out loud when I hear someone tell some old story about how they would have been killed if they had been wearing a seatbelt. "my uncle's car overturned and he was strangled by his seatbelt"

Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.