Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bonding Fiberglass to metal...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Well Im currently in the proccess of doing my rear flares... I went to the Pro auto paint store and asked the "pro" what to use... (guy was like 60, looked like he had been in the buisness for 30 years..)

After spending about 5 mins looking at the labels, he showed me one that looked that it could work, and he was farily confident in himself that it would work perfect...

Anyways, after getting home, I mixed it all up and started putting the bead down on the body. Got about halfway through (bout 20 seconds, I was moving fast..) and the damn stuff started setting on me. Chunked up in my mixer, and started to get really warm. 3 minutes my ..

Anyways, after scraping most of it off, Im resorting to you guys for info...

What glue should I use? My uncle (very big car guy, knows his stuff) told me about some glue that sets like a rock and would be perfect for me. But I forgot the name.

Kem pack or something

No pics yet... I want to do a progress thread when im done...

Andrew
bd1308
if its two part stuff, use less hardening stuff....

b
scotty b
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 27 2005, 04:52 PM)
if its two part stuff, use less hardening stuff....

b

Most all of the 2 part bonding systems are pre-measured and use their own applicator. Duramix is probably the best product out there but it does require you to buy a $60.00 application gun (similar to a caulking gun) I haven't used the metal to F.G. bonder yet but have used several other of their products. They do have a quick application time so you need to MOVE with some of them.
Al Meredith
When my son installed his flairs he used "Corvette bond" That is what he called it. Screwed the flairs on and came back the next day and I think unscrewed the screws. That stuff stuck the flairs on and then he filled the area with " Kitty Hair" . That looked semi-liquid with short pieces of fiberglass string in it. That car raced in EProduction for 4 years and never cracked. The car is in New England now and still racing 10 years later.
scotty b
forgot the link

http://www.autotoolmart.com/cgi-bin/webc.c...t_sresults.html

most local shops will carry these products.
Brad Roberts
Andrew,

call Scott Yeaman.

650-328-8169

Ask for Scott or Jeff. Tell them what you are doing. They do this for a living.

I use the same stuff they use, but I dont recall the name of it. The Durmix stuff sounds familiar. They have $20 applicators.

B
scotty b
As a semi side note. A few years ago I werked at a collision shop and the Duramix rep came by to demo the product. He spoty welded two pieces of metal together and Duramixed to pieces together. Put both on the frame machine and started to pull. The spot welds tore, and the duramix panel tore in the middle of one of the 2 parts, but stayed intact at the seam. GOOD shit. A warning against it though. I tried to bond a quarter on a 914 and did not have enough clamps to cover the whole panel, came out the next day and it had slipped. NO chance of correcting it so know there is a teener with a slightly larger trunk gap on one side than the other. Sorry!
TimT
this stuff works well, Lord Adhesives

Andyrew
Thanks Brad, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Andrew
TimT
Note that you have to buy an applicator gun, and mixing tips. the tip can only be used once!!

Lord offers a few different bonding epoxies. some are quick set up other have a longer dwell time..

Durabond is another panel adhesive.. you have to buy a gun and mixing nozzles with that system also.
Andyrew
Thanks Tim. I might just look for that tomorrow.

Andrew

Back to cut the other fender out... Woo Hoo!!
Brad Roberts
Call him tonight Andrew. They are in the shop until 6pm.

B
blabla914
Check out Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. They supply the home-built aircraft folks. I bought some epoxy about 8 years ago to put a glass front fender on that is specially formulated to bond dissimilar materials. It's called Epolite and the fender is still on there. It also has a longer cure time. I guess the aircraft folks do quite a bit of bonding of fiberglass to aluminum and steel. Maybe some other people here can elaborate.

Kelly
andys
Andyrew,

Didn't you buy your flares from Fiberglass Trends? I asked them what they use on all their other f'glass to metal bonding. They told me PC-7. So I called the manufacturer and got all the local dealers. Do-it Center carried the smaller sizes, but the kid at the counter told me he could order and have it in two days (sure I thought, and gave him my phone number). To my surprise, I got a call two days later. Add to that, they discounted the gallon kit by $25! PC-7 is a two component aluminum filled epoxy that, according to the manufacturer (spoke with their tech guy), is not brittle and lends itself well to this application. Guess I'll find out as soon as I bond mine on.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.