Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 left me stranded again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
...at the same son of bosch post office as last time. Gawdam mother fuchin POS.

I'm gonna let it rot over there until morning. I drove it to work and back (topless). Let it site for a couple of hours, drove two miles over to the P.O. Was talking to Greg on the cell, started the car, let it idle while chatting for a few minutes and it died. Crank it over a bit and let off of the key and it fires a few times and quits. Over and over and over again.

&W*^$*@#^$!!!!
Joe Ricard
Gint you gotta drive it harder. Letting it idle just pisses it off.
Sorry I haven't kept up with your car. What are we looking at 6 with carbs? Did it flood out? What ignition do you got? Are you losin spark from bad connection at the coil.

Gint
naw, this is the "Budget 914" I bought for $2300. 73 2.0 beater. It's been running pretty well since replacing a intermittent fuel pump. D-Jet It's also had a full tune up, valve adjustment and filters. Drained the tank and everything.

POS is pissin me off. It's acting like it isn't getting fuel... again. I'll know tomorrow morning when I get back over there. If it won't start, I'll bet a $fiver that it will when I dump some fuel down the TB.
rick 918-S
Maybe a clue in what you posted. check the ignition switch. It may be failing. You posted (I think... idea.gif ) Crank it over a bit and let off of the key and it fires a few times and quits. Over and over and over again.
Your switch could be shorting in the crank position. Just a thought. Do you still have points?

Is the coil stock? Could be too much voltage to the points and now their fried.

99% of fuel related problems are electrical.
Gint
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 27 2005, 09:00 PM)
Maybe a clue in what you posted. check the ignition switch. It may be failing. You posted (I think... idea.gif ) Crank it over a bit and let off of the key and it fires a few times and quits. Over and over and over again.
Your switch could be shorting in the crank position. Just a thought.  Do you still have points?

Is the coil stock? Could be too much voltage to the points and now their fried.

99% of fuel related problems are electrical.

No, I hear ya Rick. But to be more specific, it fires like on 2 cylinders, and caughs, then on 2 again, and coughs, then on 2 again, for 3-5 times and then dies off. I don't think it's the ignition switch at all. It could well be that I have an electrical issue... at the pump. The ignotion seems to be doing it's job. I'll know more tomorrow morning.

I just wanted to bitch more than anything else. dry.gif
Andyrew
Got enough gas in the tank?

Battery dead?

Dwell set wrong?

Dizzy off?

Plugs burnt out?

Fuel filter plugged?

Injectors bad?

Dont know if that helps.. but thats what I would check as well.
SirAndy
disconnect battery first!
then ...

check fuel pump relay for corrossion (sp?). make sure it's clean and a tight fit. pry the prongs open if needed.

check the large connector on the RB in the back, the one that goes into the main harness.
take off the cover and inspect each prong. clean if needed.

check wires and crimps/connectors at the fuel pump.

check 4-prong white connector on RB that comes from the brain, make sure it's a tight fit and not corroded.
this is where the brain controls the fuel pump.

check large connector at brain

check white wires from brain to RB and the injector grounds under the air filter. they all merge into one sigle splitter connector and can corrode and/or come lose.

replace brain with a known to be good one ...

just to get you started! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif Andy
jhadler
Hey Gint,

That sucks! This was a warm re-start right? Did you try restarting cold? Did it smell like there was too much fuel? A bad HTS connection can do that...

Let us know how it goes!

-Josh2
swl
fires on start, two cylinders then dies. Throttle points or the cable to them? Does it run if you feather the throttle?
Gint
I stopped over there this morning. Stone cold after sitting all night, still no startie... I even poured a little fuel into the TB, no joy. Now it doesn't fire at all. Looks like another AAA tow home. I hope I don't get another "sensitive" tow driver.
Trekkor
Not fun.

At least your 914 didn't break down on the way home from you own wedding, like mine did dry.gif

KT
maf914
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 27 2005, 08:00 PM)
Your switch could be shorting in the crank position. Just a thought.

agree.gif I'm with Rick on this one. A failing ignition switch, the plastic insert portion, will exhibit similar behavior. It will start, then stall shortly after you release the key. Mines had two fail over the years with these symptoms.

So.... If none of the other checks work out, don't discount the ignition switch. idea.gif
Toast
QUOTE (Gint @ Dec 27 2005, 08:38 PM)
It's acting like it isn't getting fuel... again.

Hummm.........sounds like a familiar problem. idea.gif

Have you cleaned your fuel filters? wink.gif

Maybe it just doesn't like the Post Office. confused24.gif
Bruce Allert
Even tho I got rid of mine cuz it left me stranded so many times... I had similar probs that seemed to go away after I installed a remote start button. I'd turn the key to the on position then hit the start button & it'd run better (yes, run & start better) than doing it with the key. dunno why confused24.gif

.....b
dlo914
funny how my buddy and i were counting how many times and where his 914 had broken down over the past year...we ended up w/ about 7 locations dry.gif these cars are seriously an ADDICTION confused24.gif wacko.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Gint @ Dec 28 2005, 11:31 AM)
I stopped over there this morning. Stone cold after sitting all night, still no startie... I even poured a little fuel into the TB, no joy. Now it doesn't fire at all. Looks like another AAA tow home. I hope I don't get another "sensitive" tow driver.

too bad we cannot "give" away our unused AAA tows...I still have 2 more left for the year.....

IronHillRestorations
I'm gonna say FI trigger points. Why? Cause I'm not good with FI, and that's my standard reply. Thing is the last five times I've helped diagnose a FI problem it was....you guessed it....FI TRIGGER POINTS! cool.gif

The other thing could be a bad fuel pump relay, or the pump itself.
Gint
Oh well. It's only my daily driver when I want it to be. wink.gif I was hoping to go over a week in December and even into the new year with the top off though. dry.gif

When I called AAA they said this was my last tow (thanks to the 914) for the annual billing periood (that doesn't renew until August). Then the kid says, "You're wife hasn't used any service calls. You could have her call it in." Good idea and it will save me one more tow for the period. Then when Shar calls they give her a bunch of grief. It looks like your husband already called about this. Duh. Anywho, this tow driver was a reasonable guy and didn't insist on using my axle shafts for his tie down chains. The car's home and I'll poke around tomorrow.

I've never had a bad set of trigger points. But I do have a spare set. But I would think the engine would have at least fired when I poured some fuel down the TB. But it won't even do that now. I'm more inclined to think electrical at this point. I'll start with the basics tomorrow.

Carl
When I called AAA they said this was my last tow

Hey Gint, push it into the PO and mail it to yourself.
Gint
Hey thanks Carl... NOT! wink.gif

I'm not taking this 914 to that P.O. ever again.
McMark
Start with your coil. Andy just had this problem.
Howard
And pull the plug on the '5th' injector to see if that helps. Mine went south when I first bought the car, stayed open and drowned everything.
gfulcher
here's what I would do:

take off the FI system, replace with Dellortos.

Enjoy the drive.

Although, I do agree it sounds like an electrical problem, ultimately. With those FI systems, it could be anything, and troubleshooting on the side of the road isn't often a viable option. At least with Carbs, you know where you stand..

Good luck - don't give up - it is frustrating for sure - but once it's sorted out.. woohoo.

-greg-
pete-stevers
mike just phone sher...tell her you have a deal that is to good for her to pass up...sell it to her to give to me for valetines day....good idea eh?
after all it is rust free isn't it? biggrin.gif
best o' luck
steve
rick 918-S
What's the verdict confused24.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (gfulcher @ Dec 28 2005, 08:54 PM)
here's what I would do:

take off the FI system, replace with Dellortos.

Enjoy the drive.

Although, I do agree it sounds like an electrical problem, ultimately. With those FI systems, it could be anything, and troubleshooting on the side of the road isn't often a viable option. At least with Carbs, you know where you stand..

Good luck - don't give up - it is frustrating for sure - but once it's sorted out.. woohoo.

-greg-

not without changing that cam

a FI engine with carbs = not efficient at all.

b
Gint
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Dec 29 2005, 10:26 PM)
What's the verdict confused24.gif

It was only about 45 today with wind gusts up to 60 MPH. No garage space without moving a lot of junk (inlucing one 914/6 tub and two motors) out of the garage. Not much time either. Skeleton crew at work today.

I decided to skip it until Saturday.
Trekkor
Gint, sorry the car is not being your friend.

a FI engine with carbs = not efficient at all.

Sorry to hi-jack, I just can't let this slide.
This is not true. I've personally seen/ridden in a car with a stock 1.8 with Webers and it was amazing.
Beat near everyone at the a/x.

Most people say a carbed motor on the stock cam will not make *more* power than a well tune F.I. set-up.

I'm not even so sure about that.

Hi-jack over...Start a new thread if you want to go on this.

Sorry Mike... hijacked.gif

KT
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (Gint @ Dec 29 2005, 09:38 PM)
No garage space without moving a lot of junk (inlucing one 914/6 tub and two motors) out of the garage.

mike,
what time do you want me to come by and (re)move that tub and motor for you(permanently), so you have room to work on the budget car? lol2.gif
rhodyguy
you're crazy t wink.gif . you're right britt., and 2 x 32/36DGAVs would be 2x inefficient. but you would have dual webers. huh.gif

k
TravisNeff
My first thought would be bad CHT
bd1308
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Dec 30 2005, 11:36 AM)
you're crazy t wink.gif . you're right britt., and 2 x 32/36DGAVs would be 2x inefficient. but you would have dual webers. huh.gif

k

actually, you would no longer have the problem with the long intake runners and the lack of heat. It would be intresting to see how well they worked. Granted this still wont work well for a 2000cc engine, but for a 1700...........

b
Gint
I had a pretty good idea that knew what it was. I had been telling Sharon just a few days before it quit that the car felt like it was having less and less power at low rpm. The dwell was a little high when I installed the points when doing th etune up a month or so ago. I suspected my timing had changed or something was wronng with the points and that the dwell might be changing on me.

The dizzy was locked down tight and not turning (changing the advance), nor had it risen up and subsequently become disengaged. For grins I checked the coil for spark and found none. I have a new Bosch blue coil that I hadn't installed yet, so I temp'd it in... no joy. A check of the points revealed that with them on a dizzy lobe, they were still shorted. I loosened the screw and tried to open the points but they were still shorted. At this point I noticed the rubbing block had seemingly disapeared. Took the points out and low and behold, the rubbing block is broken at the base.

I just happened to have a spare set of points on my desk. Stay tuned...
bd1308
this happened to me as well....the p-car mechanic didnt lube the dizzy cam and wore down my point block in like 1000 miles. I now have bosch dizzy grease.

b
Gint
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 31 2005, 12:14 PM)
this happened to me as well....the p-car mechanic didnt lube the dizzy cam and wore down my point block in like 1000 miles. I now have bosch dizzy grease.

b

It didn't wear down, it cracked at the base.

It's 62 and sunny, the top is off... I'm goin for a ride. driving.gif
bd1308
allright! smile.gif another one back on the road.

was the points a bosch brand or the mexico one?

b
Gint
Bosch, Brazil And I just put the same thing back in it.

Damn that was fun. I just terrorized a 5 mile radius. Gotta replace that glass pack with the stock muffler I bought.
SLITS
QUOTE (Gint @ Dec 31 2005, 12:05 PM)
A check of the points revealed that with them on a dizzy lobe, they were still shorted. I loosened the screw and tried to open the points but they were still shorted. At this point I noticed the rubbing block had seemingly disapeared. Took the points out and low and behold, the rubbing block is broken at the base.

Another testimony for Crane/Allison, Petronix/Compufire biggrin.gif
JoeSharp
Mike: I don't have points in anything but spare parts.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Mark Henry
Does it have a bosch coil? I've seen FLAPS coils melt that block.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.