Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - crankshaft nomenclature
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
anyone know the technical names for the various parts of a crankshaft?

i know where the main bearings are, the journals, etc but I am unclear about concepts like the "planes" etc... and other terms.
bd1308
smile.gif ah the smell of learning...

smilie_pokal.gif b
Mark Henry
so many.....

Main and rod journals

OD

Stroke

radius (part of the journal)

taper

keyways

gears, spacer, clip

Plane refers to a balancing term

Even I would have to look it up, or at least think about it, to remember them all
Mark Henry
On plane...think of a gyro you had as a kid. When you spin the center that is running in one plane (or axis) then the cage begins to spin, that is running in a 2nd plane (or axis).

On a crank you not only balance the crank you also have to correct for plane. This is to make sure the crank is not trying to turn end for end (on a 2nd plane or axis), which is hard on the bearings.

What else would you like to know smile.gif
ArtechnikA
plane may be a balancing term, but it's not the usual meaning in a crankshaft context.

it has to do to with how the crankthrows are arranged in phase.

a VW Flat-4 has a single plane. a 911 crankshaft is, IIRC, a 3-plane crankshaft, with throws 120-deg apart.

your standard V8 is a 2-plane crank, with throws 90-deg apart. this has an effect on firing order and thus header design. some racing V8's use a flat (single-plane) crankshaft - i believe with benefits in header design but an increase in vibration.
machina
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Dec 28 2005, 09:52 AM)
plane may be a balancing term, but it's not the usual meaning in a crankshaft context.

it has to do to with how the crankthrows are arranged in phase.

a VW Flat-4 has a single plane. a 911 crankshaft is, IIRC, a 3-plane crankshaft, with throws 120-deg apart.

your standard V8 is a 2-plane crank, with throws 90-deg apart. this has an effect on firing order and thus header design. some racing V8's use a flat (single-plane) crankshaft - i believe with benefits in header design but an increase in vibration.

that's what I was thinking about, any idea how a V12 jaguar crank is configured plane wise?
Bleyseng
Is this what the little guy on Fantasy Island has always yelling about?

"the Plane,the Plane"
Mark Henry
Rich is right...I was trying to keep it simple wink.gif

I was thinking David was reading his balancing report and wondering WTF plane is. I was talking about cause and effect.

I get asked every time I give a report out...like the one spit out by a Sunnen DCB-750
JWest
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Dec 28 2005, 09:57 AM)
that's what I was thinking about, any idea how a V12 jaguar crank is configured plane wise?

The Jag V-12 is 3-plane.
thesey914
I know Ferrari V8's have a flat plane crank....why they have that racing car scream and not that american V8 rumble.
maf914
QUOTE (James Adams @ Dec 28 2005, 08:02 AM)
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Dec 28 2005, 09:57 AM)

The Jag V-12 is 3-plane.

Very good!

How about a Porsche 917 flat 12? Or the still-born 917 flat 16? Or a BRM H-16?
balljoint
This thread needs a sketch. wink.gif
thesey914
How about the Veyron W16? wacko.gif
Dead Air
QUOTE (balljoint @ Dec 28 2005, 12:28 PM)
This thread needs a sketch. wink.gif

[QUOTE]
MarkV
cranks boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.