Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cable lube?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
Lube with lithium grease?

smile.gif

M
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (redshift @ Dec 28 2005, 09:15 AM)
Lube with lithium grease?

smile.gif

M

Attract dirt and grit? Naaaahhhhh .......... The Cap'n
redshift
=o)

Better plan?

M
Aaron Cox
most cables come teflon dry lubed wink.gif
redshift
Teflon.... OEM is lubed then.

It's slippery, but not very uhh... slippery.

M
Aaron Cox
will you install it already???!!!! dry.gif av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (redshift @ Dec 28 2005, 10:25 AM)
Teflon.... OEM is lubed then.

agree.gif no luby on the cables ...

cool.gif Andy
SLITS
ah hell Miles...fill the tube with goat grease...it will be the only part of your car that doesn't rust!
Katmanken
Motorcycle shops sell cable lubes in a spray can fer lubing those pesky cables....

Ken

redshift
The grease I usually use probably wouldn't work on such a thick cable.

sad.gif finger.gif

M
Mark Henry
I lube my cable with K-Y

redshift
Yes, I also lube my tailpipe with that stuff.

Kentucky Jelly..

M
Mark Henry
huh.gif icon8.gif

TO MUCH INFORMATION---TO MUCH INFORMATION

laugh.gif
JeffBowlsby
The portion of the cable from the firewall back is in a teflon sleeved housing...agreed, no lubing needed.

But what about the front part of the cable in the tunnel, where there is metal to metal contact? There is a constant sawing of the braided SS cable and the friction points in the centertunnel guide tube. I would think its a good idea to lube the cable where it rubs inside the center tunnel tubing to prevent premature cable wear, premature guide tubing wear, and a smoother clutch action.
hotdgr
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Dec 29 2005, 05:40 AM)
The portion of the cable from the firewall back is in a teflon sleeved housing...agreed, no lubing needed.

But what about the front part of the cable in the tunnel, where there is metal to metal contact? There is a constant sawing of the braided SS cable and the friction points in the centertunnel guide tube. I would think its a good idea to lube the cable where it rubs inside the center tunnel tubing to prevent premature cable wear, premature guide tubing wear, and a smoother clutch action.

I have used graphite-powder lube in some applications. Very slippery and doesn't attract dirt.
redshift
How about around the pulley?

Where can you buy that black, gritty goo? Seems to be a.. baked on coating???

wink.gif

M
redshift
Damn! I don't recall it being this insanely hard! Took HOURS to get the damned pin back in on the pedal end, and lock it down..

1. Too much slack taken up on pedal end.. spacer doesn't fit on clevis end.

2. One of the nuts on the clutch end was stripped out (*inside one) so now, I have one nut, and no spacer.. until I get the BALLS to adjust a 1/4 inch out on the pedal end, and find a suitable nut for the clutch end..

Hey, it works.. and better! FARG!

M
SLITS
Rule #1: NEVER play with your nutz until they strip!
redshift
And lots of KY!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.