Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got me under pressure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
the question says it all.... what is the max pressure in oil lines running to remote oil cooler
J P Stein
I talked (internet) to a racer that rigged a oil pressure gauge to the scavenge side of his car....a few years ago.
He said he saw up to 165 lbs at cold start. confused24.gif

Then there was this idiot who missed plumbed his thermostat
and blew his Fluidyne cooler....prolly went to 300psi+.
I can't imagine how I....he did that. I understand he got away with it for bout 2 months... till one cool morning. It pays to have a thermo with a pressure by-pass....or so I hear wink.gif
redshift
Lots! Imagine how much pressure you'd be under, if all those dollars depended on you working flawlessly!

blink.gif

M
michel richard
I think that the pop-off valve that should be in most systems to protect the oil cooler are set at approximately 80 pounds.
brant
I want to add to this post.
I remember way back when.

a 914 guru I knew was at a cold track event and kept popping his slip on/hose clamped oil line under high rpm.....

he had to quit the day after the 3rd or so time and use a threaded on line after that. thats when I realized that those expensive AN fittings had a purpose.

Hey JP... I remember a track event at topeka back in around 1999 where my lil' 4 banger with its accusump popped the pressure relief valve built into the accusump not once but twice! in the early hours... seems that scrapping the ice off from the windshield that morning should have told me sumething?..... guess I was just slow because after I would start the car to warm up, I couldn't understand why mobil 1 was pouring out on the ground under the front trunk ?

the 2nd incident was sunday (following Saturday)

but the current car has NO thermostat... so that really prooves my stupidity above all else. I did learn and committ this time around that if my early morning thermometer reads below 55 or 60F that I won't be turning the proverbial "key" to start the car until after the lunch time sandwhiches have been served.
(gosh those thermostats are heavy!)

brant
J P Stein
QUOTE (michel richard @ Dec 28 2005, 07:02 PM)
I think that the pop-off valve that should be in most systems to protect the oil cooler are set at approximately 80 pounds.

I have seen 8 bar on the pressure side....but the engine oil cooler thermo is closed. The pressure bypass pops open and the pressure drops to 6 bar quickly.....maybe 10-15 sec.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.