Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which heads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Poor-sche Lover
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out exactly what heads I have. The PO seems to be pretty knowledgeable, and he swore it was a 2.0. I'm pretty sure that he's wrong. . . the engine code is EA, the spark plugs point straight up, there are four intake manifold studs. My only other avenue to explore is whether or not they are Bus heads on a 1.7 engine. Here are some pics. The only identification I see on them at all is "AMC" on the bottom of the head and "207900" stamped on the plate that the intake bolts to. Thanks in advance.
Poor-sche Lover
more
Poor-sche Lover
yet again
davep
EA is the code for 1.7, the 4 bolt intake manifold says it is not a Porsche 2.0 head, so most likely a standard 1.7
lapuwali
AMC makes aftermarket Type 4 head castings. It's not a stock VW head at all, for any engine, let alone a 2.0 head. Measure the valve sizes and you'll get some idea of what engine it was meant for.
Allan
1.7 Heads....
McMark
More info than you can shake a stick at: http://www.tunacan.net/t4

One of the few URLs I have memorized. Brad Anders site being another one.
Cap'n Krusty
Measure the bore! AMC doesn't make a 1.7 head. They make 1.8 heads, which have the air injection ports, and 2 litre heads, which don't. If you have a 93 mm bore, you most likely have a 1.7/1.8 crankshaqft and 1.8 pistons and cylinders. If the bore is 94 mm, you are likely to have a 2 litre crank, rods, and pistons. Whatever, they're replacement bus heads. I can't tell from your pictures whether you have the AIS ports or not. The Cap'n
Poor-sche Lover
Excuse my ignorance, but you have to measure the bore on the cylinders, NOT the heads, right? Also, what are AIS ports?
Al Meredith
I think with that combustion chamber shape they are bus heads . I think this is good as the CC is smaller than 914 = more CR. Look at the 4 bolt holes ...the ring goes through the holes =1800CC or 2000CC cylinder.
Jake Raby
Due to the chambers alone I can tell you that those are 2.0 Bus heads....

A further look at the exhaust ports being oval clearly show that the head is designed for a 1976- late 1978 Bus engine, not hydraulic.....

The heads are AMC replacements- watch those seats, valves, springs, retainers and guides- if they are the AMC supplied parts, they suck.

BTW- those heads sould measure 51cc inside the chamber, and 56cc to the top of the step. boldblue.gif
Poor-sche Lover
So, these are the heads that everybody says not to use? I'm not really looking for a ton of power, just something fun to drive around. Is rebuilding them an option for a newbie, or is that something that should be farmed out? Where would I even get the parts? Am I better off just finding some stock heads, or what?
Bleyseng
the small valve size doesn't make great hp but you can have them rebuilt to a better size.
Jake Raby
Send them to HAM and have Len rebuild them to his stage 1 specs all while relocating the plugs to the 2.0 location... Toss those shitty AMC seats and have him install 42X36 valves

You'll have our version of a stock 2.0 914 spec head based on that casting, the chamber compliments the plug relocation drastically.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Poor-sche Lover @ Dec 28 2005, 06:54 PM)
Excuse my ignorance, but you have to measure the bore on the cylinders, NOT the heads, right? Also, what are AIS ports?

1.8 cylinders have a 93 mm bore, 2.0 cylinders are 94 mm. You can generally extrapolate what kind of crank and rods you have from that, because the stroke is longer on a 2 litre engine (stock parts). AIS is air injection, like engines with smog pumps. VW 2 litre engines never had it. I believe the head bore is the same on 1.8 and 2.0 engines, but I don't have them here at home and can't go look. The Cap'n
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 28 2005, 10:51 PM)
QUOTE (Poor-sche Lover @ Dec 28 2005, 06:54 PM)
Excuse my ignorance, but you have to measure the bore on the cylinders, NOT the heads, right?  Also, what are AIS ports?

1.8 cylinders have a 93 mm bore, 2.0 cylinders are 94 mm. You can generally extrapolate what kind of crank and rods you have from that, because the stroke is longer on a 2 litre engine (stock parts). AIS is air injection, like engines with smog pumps. VW 2 litre engines never had it. I believe the head bore is the same on 1.8 and 2.0 engines, but I don't have them here at home and can't go look. The Cap'n

Head bore is the same on 1.8 and 2.0l.
Poor-sche Lover
An update:

I took off the other head and discovered the truth, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. It appears as if I have a 914 1.7 case, that has been rebuilt to accomodate Volkswagen Bus 2.0 pistons, cylinders, and heads. This info is gleaned from the shape of the combustion chamber, the dished pistons, the serial number on the other head, and the fact that the cylinder bore is 94 mm. I'm guessing that one of the heads busted at some point, so he bought the aftermarket head shown in the pics. So, yes, I have one "stock" VW Bus head, and one AMC aftermarket head.

Anyway, I know this is a newbie question, but who is Len? What is HAM? Contact info? What's the going rate for doing what Mr. Raby suggests?
Jake Raby
www.haminc.biz
Len does all my cylinder head work. He is a God.
Bleyseng
Well since you are at about 67hp now things are looking up for you. Len is a God at headwork and how much it cost is on his website or on Jake Raby's Type4 store. Hell, look at both sites and gather info.

Len cleaned up my 914's 2056 heads and they are really killer now along with the Jake cam (thanks Jake!!!)

clap.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Jake Raby
No sweat... You need to get your ass in gear and get something running with those parts!
Bleyseng
my 914 is running!!!

the Westy is coming apart next week. I need a Ljet cam!!!!!!
Jake Raby
In stock.... email me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.