Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Instrument light bulb replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trevorg7
I bought new bulbs for my instrument cluster and before I take it appart to replace the bulbs I am wondering if anyone has done this and has advice.

Do you have to disconnect all the gauges?

Thanks

T
dinomium
It is hard, but it can be done... All of the bulbs are in thier own sockets in the back of the gauge, indicators as well. Trouble is the cluster in wired with lengths of cable that is just enuff to reach. I always end up tugging to hard and disconecting something!
SO if you undo the four screws you can see and the two on the underside of the cluster, you can do a combination of tilting the panel back and pushing the gauges one at a time forward. They are just held in by rubber gaskets... The lighting connections are Blue with Black or Black with white depending on year... black is older I *THINK*
Good luck and go slow
beer.gif
pfierb
QUOTE (dinomium @ Dec 29 2005, 01:38 AM)
It is hard, but it can be done... All of the bulbs are in thier own sockets in the back of the gauge, indicators as well. Trouble is the cluster in wired with lengths of cable that is just enuff to reach. I always end up tugging to hard and disconecting something!
SO if you undo the four screws you can see and the two on the underside of the cluster, you can do a combination of tilting the panel back and pushing the gauges one at a time forward. They are just held in by rubber gaskets... The lighting connections are Blue with Black or Black with white depending on year... black is older I *THINK*
Good luck and go slow
beer.gif

Just replaced some of my instrument bulbs,1973 2.0, was very easy.... pull the guages out of the rubber rings just be gentle seemed to have plenty extra wire.Didn't disconnect any guages ...be careful not to scratch the painted instrument bezel.
Trevorg7
Thanks guys.

Are there 5 lights total? 2 each on the tach and speedo and 1 on the gas/idiot light gauge?
SirAndy
you can also take off the steering wheel for easier access. just takes a minute but makes working on them gauges easier ...

cool.gif Andy
dinomium
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 29 2005, 10:56 AM)
you can also take off the steering wheel for easier access. just takes a minute but makes working on them gauges easier ...

cool.gif Andy

agree.gif
Great excuse to buy impact tools and compressor if you dont have them already!
Is that nut 22mm? I can't remember....
Bertus
Can you get those bulbs from your local auto part store, or do you need to order?

Thanks!
pfierb
QUOTE (Bertus @ Dec 29 2005, 03:00 PM)
Can you get those bulbs from your local auto part store, or do you need to order?

Thanks!

Bought mine from Zims in Texas local flaps didn't have them.

Had to get them from Zims in Texas local flaps didn't have them.

Sorry for the double posting
Trevorg7
Oh good idea (excuse to use) I have a 33gal compressor and impact tools!!

I bought the bulbs from pelican.

T
McMark
I've had to unclip the speedo cable from above the pedal cluster. There's a clip that keeps it from dangling. Otherwise it's completely doable without disconnecting anything. Sorry Andy, I'm against removing the steering wheel, because sometimes it can be a PITA to reattach straight.
dinomium
I found em at NAPA of all places!
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 29 2005, 12:04 PM)
Sorry Andy, I'm against removing the steering wheel, because sometimes it can be a PITA to reattach straight.

well, i have an easy solution for you then!

remove the nut, slide wheel out just enough to have it sit flush with the column part, take a good marker and draw a line over both parts.

when you put the wheel back on, simply align it back with the line.

has worked many, many times for me ...
wink.gif Andy
tracks914
I replaced mine with the new LED lights bought on this site. They aren't much brighter but the colours are cool. I tried the red and the white but the white looks a bit blueish. They do run cooler though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.