Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compression Terster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dralf
Still hoping for more stuff since I had such a poor haul during Christmas. I was thinking about getting a Mityvac Compression Test Kit from Northern Tools. But now I am confused for I have also seen “Engine Leak Down Testers” on some of the web sites.
Can someone tell me the difference? And which tester is the best for checking my 2.0 L engine?
Dead Air
I bought one From Advance Auto parts, KAL Equipment. It's pretty nice. It has several different size bushings for different spark plug sizes, a 12 inch hose and a pressure release button.
Some testers are just "press in" so you need a helper to turn the ignition.
I've never used it on the Porsche though. I bought it after replacing the head gasket twice on my Toyota truck. The water in the oil was due to the timing chain guides being gone and the chain ate through the inside of the water pump.
Yeah, it was a good time! wacko.gif
bd1308
hey Al wavey.gif

if you need help gimme three hours and a phone call smile.gif

b
vertigo
I bought my set from SEARS. The set has multiple length hosegood guage and case to keep it all together. Remember to have car warm when doing compression test, and to have throttle at wide open or you get lower reading than true. Also disconnect coil or it will start! Hope this helps
dralf
blink.gif
Thanks for the offer of help Brad,
It would make you sick if you saw all the "stuff" my women has me put in storage in that nice 3 car garage. If the teener was not on jack stands to get it up higher you would not see it for all the plywood and building products
that surround it. I have to finish building the kennels for my woman since she is offically in the dog business now. Once done I hope to get the alternator put in and perhaps we can get the rest of the fellows in Ohio and KY to meet at a bar to plan what is up for 2006.
motorhead
Definitely the type with the hose. Pretty likely the push in type won't reach thru the engine tin. Probably had mine for 20 years, the only thing to go bad was the o-ring on the plug adapter. Get a remote starter switch while your'e at it, and you got a one man operation
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.