Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Porsche 968s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
Wife is OK with another Porsche to be my daily driver. She thinks my 914 is "ugly" and would like me to get a cute Porsche. My choices are 968 or Boxster.

Sure would appreciate comments and recomendations.

Thanks
Jeroen
the 968 is an awesome machine
but I like the Boxster too...

hmmm... tough choice idea.gif
i love porsche
968's are very nice, they have a 3.0 liter NA slant 4, and come with a tiptronic or 6 speed manual, rwd, and either coupe or convertible. a 968 will average between 10 and 20 k usually, depending on condition, while a 2.5 boxster will low about 15k

both great cars with similar performance, the 968 tends to be a bit more rare though
jim_hoyland
Saw this ad on bird-board last night:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=188759
Flat VW
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Dec 29 2005, 05:16 AM)
She thinks my 914 is "ugly".

ohmy.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Dec 29 2005, 09:23 AM)

ohmy.gif

agree.gif ohmy.gif

sorry, she's got to go... wink.gif
iamchappy
I like them, i've though about replacing my wife's Lexus with one, she would like a convertible someday.
Flat VW
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Dec 29 2005, 06:26 AM)

ohmy.gif

agree.gif ohmy.gif

Greg is a pal of mine, I didn't want to say it.

Thanks Wayne, for "clearing the air", pray.gif

John

P.S. It is not a simple matter to tell a friend to get rid of a wife.
Flat VW
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Dec 29 2005, 06:27 AM)
I like them, I've thought about replacing my wife.

Ut, oh....

I am sensing a trend,

John w00t.gif
MoveQik
She thinks my 914 is "ugly"

Damn Greg...that is too bad. She seemed so nice. We'll all miss her. laugh.gif
iamchappy
I did replace my first wife. laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
friends don't let friends have wives that don't like their 914... ask ninefourteener wink.gif biggrin.gif

lol2.gif

jasons
They're Bitchin. They are basically the same platform as a 944 with some updates. The 968 has the same 3.0L motor as my 944S2. But, they added variable valve timing so they are good for like 10 more hp than mine, making total of around 220hp maybe even a little more. You have all the same concerns with one of those as a 944. Timing belts must be done religously, about every 45k miles. Ask me how I know, my car just lunched the timing belt and I knew I was pushing the mileage. Cam chain, and tensioner should be maintained too. The tensioner is known to wear out, fail, then break the chain. This can be pretty catastrophic. It can damage the head, valves, and cams. You don't want to know what that repair costs.

I don't know if they have the crappy rubber centered clutch that 944's are known for. If it does, I think the clutch job is alot easier. There is an access panel on the bellhousing to do the repairs. On a 944, you have to pull out the exhaust, transmission, central driveline, just to access the bellhousing.

Just keep in mind, they are Porsches and the parts and repairs come at Porsche prices and frequencies. Basically they aint toyotas.
gregrobbins
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Dec 29 2005, 07:26 AM)

ohmy.gif

agree.gif ohmy.gif

No, she's a keeper. Susan is OK that I currently have two 914s, but she would like a car she could drive too: automatic.

I have bought/sold/parted out 6 914s in the last few years. Have a garage and side yard full of parts , so if she is willing to put up with me and stuff, she is a keeper for sure!!
MoveQik
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Dec 29 2005, 08:06 AM)
Besides, I have 28 years invested in her. Like restoring a 914, you could never get your full investment back, so keep and enjoy!

chairfall.gif lol2.gif
jim912928
If you are considering a 968...my advice would to be go drive a 928. 80% of them came automatic..lot's of power, great ride..I have one I use as a daily driver..handles great for a bigger car (I actually turned faster times in my 928 then in my 911 in my last autocross).
seanery
I almost bought a red 968 cab right before I bought whitey. I think they are really nice cars.
carr914
Fore
neo914-6
I'm surprised Porsche didn't stay with the 968 styling, maybe they didn't want to be reminded of the 928 sales failure. It's a beautiful car, rare, and even the cabriolet looks nice. I'm not certain but I think the soft top window is still plastic. If you want a car that will hold it's value, pick the 968.

The Boxsters are getting affordable because they are plentiful. You'll have more choice in color, miles, condition, etc in buying a Boxster. You know the color of the car will probably sell itself to your wife... wink.gif
J P Stein
A buddy has a 968 F/S. It's an automatic. Bout 20K...very nice condition.
Brando
968s are indeed nice cars. I would say go with the tiptronic, and yes the prices mentioned here are about spot-on.

The only major problem that they had was snapping input shafts -- but that was pretty rare and dealer-corrected. Front-engine, rear wheel drive. If you drive it on a bad clutch too long you can destroy the tip of the driveshaft which equals a lot of time and money. 4-cylinder, 3.0 Litre, Vario-cam, DOHC... All the goodies. Unlike 944s and 924s, they were actually assembled in Porsche's factories, right next to the 911s. Some parts are shared with the 944/late 944/S/S2, such as the aluminum suspension components and some electricals. I think the only Audi parts in that car are one or two relays and maybe the headlamp motors. The rest is Porsche 944.

They are undeniably the best version of the front-engined water-coolers. They hardly ever have anything go wrong. If you do buy one, have the belts, rollers and tensioner replaced. Check the water-pump. Left uncared for they can grind into the block under tension and you'll never be able to get a pump to work right without machining the block. If you do skimp on a timing belt replacement and you munch some valves, expect to pay maybe $300-$1500 for the machinework and parts, then just time (since you have an affinity for working on cars). If you have a shop do it, expect upwards of $3000 for the repair.

Most of all, enjoy it and drive it. If you want a backseat, don't buy the cabriolet version. Otherwise... Enjoy a convertible (which are more common than coupes). One of the best Porsches ever made, second to the 993 smile.gif
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (jasons @ Dec 29 2005, 10:05 AM)
They're Bitchin. They are basically the same platform as a 944 with some updates. The 968 has the same 3.0L motor as my 944S2. But, they added variable valve timing so they are good for like 10 more hp than mine, making total of around 220hp maybe even a little more. You have all the same concerns with one of those as a 944. Timing belts must be done religously, about every 45k miles. Ask me how I know, my car just lunched the timing belt and I knew I was pushing the mileage. Cam chain, and tensioner should be maintained too. The tensioner is known to wear out, fail, then break the chain. This can be pretty catastrophic. It can damage the head, valves, and cams. You don't want to know what that repair costs.

I don't know if they have the crappy rubber centered clutch that 944's are known for. If it does, I think the clutch job is alot easier. There is an access panel on the bellhousing to do the repairs. On a 944, you have to pull out the exhaust, transmission, central driveline, just to access the bellhousing.

Just keep in mind, they are Porsches and the parts and repairs come at Porsche prices and frequencies. Basically they aint toyotas.

Make sure that they replace the waterpump too. I had more of these fail than clutches and timing belts.
Flat VW
Boxter

John ph34r.gif
Racer
I say Boxster. They are the "modern" 914. Then you can sneak it out to an autcross and see how well they truly handle!
jasons
A couple more things Greg, if you want to haul some kind of cargo, a 944/968 has a pretty good hatch area, with fold down seats. Something to consider in a daily driver. The grocery store is no problem, and Home Depot isn't out of the question.

968's are rare, nice ones will maintain their value.
carr914
They make a good track car too. Nicely balanced. Here is my friends 968 ClubSport, I think 1 of 6 in the country.

T.C.
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (carr914 @ Dec 29 2005, 05:26 PM)
They make a good track car too. Nicely balanced. Here is my friends 968 ClubSport, I think 1 of 6 in the country.

T.C.

I am guessing that this is the same car I saw at the Parade in FL. It was excellent example of one...
bmcwilli
Like others have said, the 968 is a fine car.

The coupe (harder to find than the cabrio) has great luggage space, and an adult can squeeze into the back seat.

Very solid car. Make sure that any of them you look at has the aforementioned pinion gear/input shaft fix.

I have a 944 S2. 109.000 miles and very solid. I love the car/
gregrobbins
Great information! smilie_pokal.gif

I knew I would get good information and advise here (except dump the wife part). rolleyes.gif

Thanks!
carr914
John, yes that is the same ClubSport. It's a beautiful car and at the time my friend bought it was (I think) cheap. It has gone up due the rarity. He has bought another 968 to make a track car, so he doesn't ball this one up. That's a good idea as he is pretty aggressive he and I have duelled inches apart for lap after lap at Sebring multiple times.

T.C.

Greg, we only kid. Wives keep alot of you guys somewhat grounded so you don't spend every dollar you have on Porsches
jet1
I say get a 968. I always liked the 968 and the 928.
jim912928
968's are nice...but still associated with the more abundent 944's. Now, the 928's are also rare (only 25k shipped to the US over it's lifespan from 78 throu 95), alot more comfortable, fast and still out perform most current GT's.....my daily driver for the past 5 years:
Lou W
hijacked.gif

Posted: Dec 29 2005, 04:56 PM  

Group: Members
Member No.: 3191

QUOTE (carr914 @ Dec 29 2005, 05:26 PM)

T.C.  

I am guessing that this is the same car I saw at the Parade in FL. It was excellent example of one...

Attached image:

--------------------
John Hudson
Nesbit, MS (20 miles south of Memphis, TN)

72 914 1.8L - Some assembly required
05 GMC Denali - Uberpanzerwagon
05 Scion xB - Little yellow lunch box on wheels

John's Personal and Porsche Web Pages

If your in the area and need food, come by the Quiznos we just opened on Church Rd, Southaven, MS.  

What color is that? smile.gif
bryanc
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Dec 29 2005, 10:35 PM)
Great information! smilie_pokal.gif

I knew I would get good information and advise here (except dump the wife part). rolleyes.gif

Thanks!

Greg,

I looked at 944S2 and 968's before I bought my boxster S. I drove a few of each and was suitably impressed. The boxster won out because of the flat 6 motor. The induction sound and smoothness of the engine is just amazing.

That said, for daily driver duties, the boxster does have slightly less storage space than a 914, and is a little more cramped IMHO. The 944 based cars are more 'form fitting', but IIRC, had more leg room.
mikelsr
Boxster. I have had mine for two years. Lots of fun.

user posted image
carr914
I talked to my friend Rich last weekend at the 48 hr of Sebring PCA race. The 968 Club Sport is Riviera Blue.

T.C.
rickyhgarcia
I have owned two 944´s, both purchased new, an ´86 944 and an ´87 944 Turbo. They are great cars for town driving and highway driving. The interior is confortable with low noise level...great for long highway trips. The turbo was an awesome car, and quite beautiful. Milage was amazing for a car that could do 165MPH. I have never driven a 968, however, it was pretty much the replacement of the 944 Turbo since powerwise they were similar.

Porsche considered a 968 Turbo, but like the 916, the project was scrapped because it would out-perform the 911 of the era.

My vote would be for the 968...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.