Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pedal Assy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
I have removed the assy from the car. It needs to be cleaned up brushings, nuts washers etc.
I am trying to remove the push pin that holds the clutch pedal in place. Can the Flippin thing be removed? WTF.gif I would like to clean and paint evrything before mounting in the car again..

help!!!!

Thanks
Cap'n Krusty
The flame wrench is your friend ....................... The Cap'n
lapuwali
If you mean the roll pin that holds the pedal to the pivot shaft, yes, it can be removed, and must be to replace the bushings. It can be a real bear to get out sometimes. Using some hardened pin or bolt and a vice seems to be the best way to get it out.
TINCAN914
Tried using a center punch, but wont budge. Thought about drilling it out to try and loosen it, no go...
TROJANMAN
center punch it. it will come out. (i used a vice to steady it) make sure your center punch is appropriately sized. a heavier hammer isn't a bad thing either.
eric shea has a good article on this in the classic threads.here
jim912928
use a vice!...I used something on one side that had the same diameter as the hole for the pin...a socket on the other side...then squeezed them in a vice..pop...out it came in seconds (cheap press!)!

Jim
TINCAN914
Thanks for the help guys... THis place iis awesome!!! smilie_pokal.gif
I will give the vice a rip tomorrow. I need to go and buy a punch, mine are tobig or to small.
Thanks for the link T-man, I should have gone looking there first, but was looking for a quick answer....

At least the entire pan is por15....one step at a time....

mikey
Been there, done that.

Mapp torch and BFH smash.gif
Eric_Shea
This is (almost) the "biggest" trouble spot for a pedal rebuild.

First of all, do you have air tools? If so, position it in the vise carefully and use a pointed bit to "get it started". Once it's started drive it out the rest of the way with a punch.

The biggest problem area will be getting the clutch arm off the shaft (some times... other times the arm will simply twist off). BE VERY CAREFUL. With the vise you'll find that some of the best positions for this job utilize the pan for support. The pan can't really support what you'll need to do to get that arm off and you can end up bending it out of shape. I had to make a tool out of an old broken air chisel. The diameter of the air bits are perfect for this task. I cut the tool off and beveled the edges. A few short blasts with that usually gets the clutch shaft started. If not, use the torch as the Cap'n and Mikey suggests (a MAPP torch should be manditory for 914 ownership).

Follow the link in Greg's post for more info (thanks Greg).

Call me if your into it and need help. But, it's always good to air questions here, that way others can benefit.
lapuwali
I found using a regular gear puller worked a treat to get the pedal off the shaft. I had a lot more trouble with the friggin' roll pin.
TINCAN914
Ok stupid question? Mapp torch? Is this just a basic propane torch? I would use this to heat the pin? confused24.gif
RON S.
In the For What It's Worth Dept.

You never use a center punch to remove a roll pin.

A roll pin is hollow,and with the sharp point on a center punch,if it's already siezed in place,you're flaring the end of roll pin with every swing of your hammer. smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif Meaning,you jam it in even harder.

Your tool is a pin punch,same size as the roll pin.A pin punch has a flat tip.Won't flare the roll pin.

FWIW

Ron
TINCAN914
QUOTE (RON S. @ Dec 30 2005, 08:03 AM)
In the For What It's Worth Dept.

You never use a center punch to remove a roll pin.

A roll pin is hollow,and with the sharp point on a center punch,if it's already siezed in place,you're flaring the end of roll pin with every swing of your hammer. smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif Meaning,you jam it in even harder.

Your tool is a pin punch,same size as the roll pin.A pin punch has a flat tip.Won't flare the roll pin.

FWIW

Ron

Got ya...
I have been using a pin punch, but the dia is to small, and unfortunatley has flared it a bit....
Leaving for the hardware store to get the rightsize punch....
Thanks for the good advice for all.
Eric_Shea
Ok stupid question? Mapp torch? Is this just a basic propane torch? I would use this to heat the pin?

Smart question. Hotter than propane, not as hot as acetylene. Heating the metals can cause expansion and general shifting that will help break the bond that rust ot other agents have formed.

MAPP Torch
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Dec 30 2005, 10:07 AM)
Ok stupid question? Mapp torch? Is this just a basic propane torch? I would use this to heat the pin?

Smart question. Hotter than propane, not as hot as acetylene. Heating the metals can cause expansion and general shifting that will help break the bond that rust ot other agents have formed.

MAPP Torch

Thanks Eric... I have propane for plumbing fixs, was hoping it would work... I guess I have something else to add to the garage. Nice thing is it's cheap... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
I guess I have something else to add to the garage.

Trust me... it will be your new best friend.
mikey
I have been using a pin punch, but the dia is to small, and unfortunatley has flared it a bit....
Leaving for the hardware store to get the rightsize punch....

I think what you're looking for is called a drift. It has a flat surface not a point on the end. Get one that is as close to the same diameter as the rollpin as possible. Secure the pedal assembly in a vise, set the drift on the pin and hit it really really really hard over and over again with your BFH. It will start to move eventually. Use the MAPP torch if you need to. Since the assembly is irregularly shaped it helps if you have a friend steady the assembly as you hit it because it tends to jump out of the vise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.