Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chasing a GT3 and Can Am Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wild 6
More video (with a spin) after installing the new WEVO gearbox from Bill P.

Taking all the lines away from the guy behind you. blink.gif

Andy
race914
Andy,

Nice Clip!

Do you always harass RSRs and run them off the track?! happy11.gif

But seriously, nice run, your car sounds great.

Greg
SLITS
As the Resident Kraut would say, " Schveeeeeeeet".
VegasRacer
smilie_pokal.gif Atta Boy Andy. smilie_flagge24.gif
Jeroen
cool_shades.gif
TravisNeff
Giddyup! driving.gif
Lou W
smilie_pokal.gif That was cool smile.gif
Aaron Cox
schveet! laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
You have now seen a video depicting people who know the line and people who DO NOT. Good job Andy smilie_pokal.gif

FYI: the car appears to be *soft* body roll is typically difficult to determine in video.. I had NO problems seeing it.

I want to play.

B
nine14cats
Wow...nice run and staying alert....nothing like having the car in front of you swap ends....

Bill P.
JmuRiz
Looks like he did the mid-corner lift?
Anyway, very heads-up on missing him!!! That 914 really is a fast sucker, passing 911's like they are nothing. Nice job squaring off the corner and getting the jump out of that one corner too smilie_pokal.gif
IanJ
This is my first post, i've been skulking around in the background gathering info for my next project (Which'll be purchased around March when i've moved house).

I had to comment on your car and driving. Absolutely fantastic! smilie_pokal.gif

I think i know the spec i want now!! wub.gif
davep
Very nice car Andy, and good driving also. Interesting where you can find those 'moving chicanes'.

Welcome to Ian, probably our first Scot.
IanJ
Thanks Dave. 914's are pretty rare in Scotland. I only know of 2.

My current toy is a 924S with 'a few tweeks' (Selling before moving)

I'm off to Australia in the New Year and have already been eyeing up a couple of cars for sale over there (And toying with importing direct from the US)
maf914
Andy, Excellent video. Nice driving and great sounding car. I'm sure the RS was trying a little too hard to stay ahead of the 914. laugh.gif

Ian, Welcome to the board. There are a few UK members, but I think no others from Scotland.
Wild 6
Just got back to the board after posting last night. Thanks for all the comments. Brad, you are correct. The car is soft. I'm trying to have both an autocross car and a track car. When the car was softer, I won TTOD several times. Now that it is a little stiffer, it is faster on the track, but I no longer win TTOD (although I'm still trying).

What's a guy to do? confused24.gif Maybe two cars or a pit crew to change the set up.

Any suggestions on improvements to win at the track and autocross events?

Front torsion bar is 22MM, shocks are custom valved Bilsteins

Rear springs are 250#, shocks are stock Bilstein HDs

Welcome to the board Ian.

Andy
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

What AR bar sizes are you running front and rear?

I did the same thing, trying to be competitive in both AX and Track. What I settled on was swapping out rear springs between the two types of events and going with a larger front AR bar to effectively stiffen the front without having to swap T-bars out.

My suspension settings were:

27mm Smart AR bar front
Bilsteins front
23mm T-Bars front

Stock Rear AR bar "connected" for both AX and Track (I had a LSD in my 901)
375lbs springs for AX, 400 to 450lbs springs for Track rear
Bilsteins rear

It was a compromise setting for sure, but actually it worked pretty well. We ended up being very competitive for TTOD in AX and very competitive in Time Trial / Track events.

It's fun trying to have a dual purpose car! laugh.gif

Bill P.
Wild 6
I am running a 23MM Weltmeister AR bar on the front and No AR bar on the rear.

As a stepped procedure, what series would you recommend:

1) Heaver springs in the rear
2) Larger T Bars in the front
3) Add AR bar for the rear
4) Larger AR bar in the front

??????

Andy
J P Stein
For AX:
Get the biggest, stickest gumballs you can fit under the thing.
As Bill said, stiffer rear springs to make the car rotate.

For both:
Moton, Penske, yada, double (or more) adjustable shox and learn how to tune em'.
Make the car as light as possible....within reason.

My.02.
TravisNeff
In those two videos, were you still on your old 180lb springs?
Wild 6
I was running running newer 250# springs in the rear for both of the videos.

Andy
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

I had the same Welt bar up front on mine before I went bigger. My opinion based on my experiences (great disclaimer, huh laugh.gif ) is that you can do the AR change and the spring change at the same time. Every car is a little different, but going to a 27mm (or 31mm bar as Trekkor has) really makes a difference on what stiffness you can adjust. Once we started going faster and faster on the big tracks, I had the Welt totally tight, which led to all kinds of binding and I was still tail happy on the track.

After going to the 27mm bar, I went progressively up on the spring rates on the back. At 350lbs, I still coudn't get the car to rotate, so Brad and I changed my rear springs out for my last run at an AX to 375lbs and tada...rotation!

I think I still have 350's, 400's, and 450's, in the race trailer. They are Eibach 10x2.5 race springs. If you're running Bils, they should fit. If you want, you can try them out for testing so you don't have to purchase any springs while figuring out the suspension settings. Just let me know and you can have them for as long as you need. I won't be needing them for awhile since The Beast is still down for quite some time. blink.gif

Bill P.
Wild 6
Bill,
What a great offer. I have my sway bar set to full tight right now and the tail end can be quite loose. Should I call you to arrange shipping?

Now I have to go shopping for a new sway bar.

Thanks.
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

Tomorrow I will be starting to clean out the race trailer...I'm redoing the floor, repainting the interior of it, and trying to take weight out of it. (I hear lighter is faster!)

I'll verify what I have. I think I have a spare set of hats that you can use as well, that way you can just zip tie and make changes at the track quicker if you want to monitor changes in back to back run sessions.

One thing I learned from our current setup on the 911, JWE pushed me hard to dial in more understeer based on my driving style and how they had observed my car at other events. They told me repeatedly that my car was very loose, but I thought it was neutral. I finally had them do the setup and damn...it is now neutral and the car is much easier to drive.

It will feel a little foreign going that stiff (from 250 to 350+) but I think what will happen is that you will have the car sticking so well you will pick up time again.

Once you go to a bigger front AR, I think the 250's are going to make you push pretty bad at an AX. So you're kinda comitted to stiffer springs in back unless you back off on the front T-bars.

Thanks,

Bill P.
Wild 6
Thanks for the help. There is really no reason to keep the suspension soft since it is not really driven on the street. I’m looking forward to you having cleaner/lighter'faster trailer. The new gearbox is working great.

Are you going to be at the PCA California Festival of Speed in March?
Trekkor
I've been running 200# rears all year with the rear bar connected and stock front torsion bars.

I like it and it is very predictable.

The *only* time the car pushes is when I try to drive a corner too fast. Sounds obvious, but in some corners, nobody can drive fast. wink.gif

The 31mm bar is fantastic and I can't recommend it any stronger clap.gif

If you want to see the rotation, body roll and overall handling of this set-up, videos are in my blog.

Most are in-car, but there are some trackside clips, too.

KT
DanT
Trekkor,
On the front of your car you have the 31mm bar, stock torsion bars, and adj. Konis, correct?
Thats got me thinking idea.gif
Scott Carlberg
GREAT video! clap.gif pray.gif

Andy,
where was this footage shot at?

Streets of Willow Springs or somewhere in AZ?
Trekkor
Still downloading... dry.gif How big is this file?

Dan, what are you up to?

KT
TimT
Trek the file is stupid big, and hosted on a slow server

took me about 15 minutes on broadband to dl
Trekkor
file is stupid big, and hosted on a slow server

First I laughed...then I thought, what if it's not a joke dry.gif

Wild 6
The video was taken at the Firebird Raceway West Track in South Metro Phoenix. It is a tight, twisty course and really a lot of fun. The video file size is about 30MB. Sorry if it's slow.

Trekkor, I'm glad you chimed in about your set up. I don't have rear bar, but my spring rate is slightly higher than yours. I wonder how much your rear bar effectively raises your rear spring rate. Is the rear bar stock?

I'm trying to decide what my next step will be.

Thanks,
Andy
Trekkor
Stock rear bar.

I thought it was 50ish #'s for the rear bar confused24.gif

KT
TimT
Wild6=Andy

Instead of bitching about a slow DL Ill add my setup to this multivariable equation...

My car 3.2/6 short gears (MSX) full cage, petty bar, 8&9 Fuchs with some sticky stuff on them.

after many iterations the result was #450 front #350 rear springs, I have a Weltcrapster front ARB 19 mm i think.. and a Welt rear which I dont even have connected..

Get your car set up with no sway bars.. find the spring rates that get you closest to your ideal handling g-spot... than fiddle with sway bars.
SGB
What a great vid! Nice smooth driving! With all this cooperation, you guys need team colors- or at least team 914club windshild banners maybe. I think it is really great to share the knowledge -and the fun.
Wild 6
Tim,
Since I already a have Welt bar too, my next move may be installing 23MM T Bars up front and finding the rear spring rate to get rotation.

Edit: P.S SGB, this site really does rock for 914 owners. Many unselfish people willing to help.

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.