Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone running CIS?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
looking at options for the 1.7 i picked up recently.

whats the story?
Mark Henry
The only 914 I know of is Evil Ed's old car...turbo to boot. He sold it and the owner is a member here, can't remember his name though.

CIS is a good system but you're on your own putting it together. I'd go with aftermarket FI before I'd mess with CIS.

If you're staying stock the D-jet is what I'd keep, if you're doing a hipo engine PEFI is more flexable.
brer
Was reading about megasquirt, sounds fun.

I can get a CIS off a scirocco or 4000s for very little money though.
brer
anyone know what the cheapest alternative is?

I see that there are some build it yourself electronic kits around.
lapuwali
If you have the D-Jet parts, then going to Megasquirt would be very cheap indeed (roughly $150 if you assemble it yourself). You can get back a good portion of that by selling the D-Jet MPS to someone else. The chief problem with CIS besides all the fabrication involved is that the only real tuning option open to you is a turbo. CIS really hates anything but a very mild cam (which works fine with a turbo). A D-Jet to PEFI conversion, however, requires little more than some wiring, and would allow you to run quite wild cams.

Even if you decide you want to go the turbo route, having programmable ignition (usually easy on all PEFI setups) can be a huge help in getting a nice powerband with minimal lag and decent economy as well as reliabilty under boost. Running a straight distributor with a turbo was old hat 20 years ago, and a good recipe for serious lag and terrible fuel economy, as you have to run fairly retarded ignition to prevent detonation under boost, which is a big compromise for performance off-boost.

And I *LIKE* CIS, I think it's a beautiful system for a reliable, mildly-tuned road car.
brer
this motor i have is essentially a stock 1.7L with worn out DJet parts.
the object is to repair it with a newer system as a backup/ reliable alternative to my original motor that is running well on the DJet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.