Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weber DCOE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Think out of the box for a minute....

Has anyone out there ever tried Dual Weber DCOE carbs?

I am thinking of a space savings issue in a conversion kits car application using a beetle pan and a type IV motor....

I want to keep the motor package very low....
The Dual IDF carbs stick up to much...
But Dual DCOE carbs look like they would suit my needs...
I just want to know if it has been done and if manifolds exist??

Rich
bd1308
i think dual progressives with manifolds would be trick.

what do DCOE's look like?

b
lapuwali
I'm pretty sure you'd be on your own in terms of manifolds. I presume you're thinking of having them lay across the top of the cylinders and case pointing towards each other, with a common airbox? Perhaps hacking up a set of D-Jet runners would serve.

IDFs don't have to be tall. Look at a Type 3 setup. They use shorter manifolds and really short airfilters to get the engines to fit under the trunk/rear-deck panel, and all of the early cars ran dual downdraft carbs, and quite a few run twin IDFs. The VW Type 4 car had the same setup, so it's likely you could get shorty IDF manifolds from a 411/412 person. Check The Samba.

You could also try to find a D-Jet setup off a 411/412, which would require zero fabrication, be extremely low, and using aftermarket PEFI, you'd be free to tune it as you will.
lapuwali
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 29 2005, 05:37 PM)
i think dual progressives with manifolds would be trick.

what do DCOE's look like?

b

DCOEs are sidedraft. Picture an IDF on it's side and you're fairly close. They're mostly used on inline engines.
r_towle
Actually thinking about facing them out, over the heads.

That way I could set up a cold air setup for them and lower the lid even more....

in a vw setup, the limiting height factor is the carbs and the fan housing...

Oil filler and dip stick can be re-fabricated.

If I can get it down to the fan housing, I be very happy...

Plus, I could have some cool looking intakes on each side of the machine....

Rich
Mark Henry
DCOEs are sidedraft. Picture an IDF on it's side and you're fairly close. They're mostly used on inline engines.

Yep, same bolt pattern I believe.

For all the hassles of building your own manifolds I'd do a MS (or other) system using a 1.8 L-jet TB/plenum set-up. Just redo the air cleaner for a low profile and it would fit real low to the engine.
Aaron Cox
i thought a DCOE was an IDA on its side...

why not have them face each other...and share a big airbox smile.gif
r_towle
I am afraid this is gonna need the sound of carbs....

Or at least individual throttle bodies...

Carbs will be easier...I dont want to fab up all sorts of custom FI stuff...

Fabbing up two manifolds should be fairly simple...two of the FI intake runner...cut cut...weld weld...done.

Rich
lapuwali
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 29 2005, 07:00 PM)
i thought a DCOE was an IDA on its side...

why not have them face each other...and share a big airbox smile.gif

DCOEs are close to IDAs on their side, but not quite. For one thing, all DCOEs have choke mechanisms. Obviously, the float bowl orientation is different, too. The jet stack still comes out the top, but this is now 90d off from the throat axis.

For whatever reason, the size steps are different too. The next size up from a 40DCOE is a 45DCOE, not a 44. There are 52 and 58 DCOEs for mega engines, too. 60s F1 engines often used 58DCOEs to make 100-125hp/liter.
McMark
Because of the height of the cooling tin I think you would be hard pressed to save any height by facing them inward towards each other. Facing them outwards seems like a width issue with the chassis. The longs are right in the way. I would support the shorty IDF option as your best option, IMHO.
r_towle
its a kit car, not a 914

It will be a tye 4motor
McMark
If you have the space, give it a whirl.
rhodyguy
looking at my weber book, most, if not all applications are for inline cyl arrangements. i think fabbing up the linkage would be the hardest part of the install. how is the parts/rebuild availability?

k
SLITS
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Dec 30 2005, 10:21 AM)
how is the parts/rebuild availability?

k

They were, for a time, real hard to get parts for when Weber went "out of business". Shops were buying pretty well anything they could get for parts.

Now that Weber is back in business, the parts are flowing again.....

If you can find a set of SK Racing Carbs you would have the same thing.
maf914
I've had dual 40 DCOE's on a Ford 1700 crossflow four cylinder. Worked very well. You tune them just like a set of IDA/IDF's.

The question about manifolds made me think of some of the old V-8 Weber set-ups for sports cars. To keep height down there were cross over manifolds using side draft carbs. The Grand Sport Corvettes used them and some Can-Am cars also. On American V-8's the intake ports are slanted toward the center of the engine so a cross over manifold had an almost straight shot to the port. On a T4 the manifold would need a 90 degree bend. Interesting. idea.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.