Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Cool Engine Swap into an Ultima GTR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
While web surfing I found a link to a gentleman who lives up the road from me that put a BMW V12 into an Ultima GTR. He was considering a small block V8 but found that the V12 was only 26 inches long and made over 400 rwhp. Take a look at his website: www.ultimav12.ca

Take a look at the videos - especially the last one. This car can really move!

Disclaimer for Mr. J.P. Stein: This thread may contain radical ideas and pictures of non Porsche automotive parts that may be offensive to those of retirement age who may have lower tolerance levels for discussions outside of the very well defined "been there, done that" box. Reader restraint is advised. happy11.gif
andys
A local hotrod shop, Tri-C Engineering, put a BMW V12 in a '32 highboy. The shop fabricated some very nicely done headers.

Andys
J P Stein
Mr. solo:
I like hot rods....been doing it for about 40 years. I just happened to land on a 914 and saw it's potential so I hot rodded it.

Mine always have run after I'm "done" and I let them do my talking....till the Internet. Now I help them some

Tain't my fault you gotta come here & brag up someone else's car, so why you trying to give me a hard time?
airsix
This guy is mad. Ultima should pay him for fixing their design flaws. He took their chassis from a quite crappy 3300 ft/lbs/deg stiffness to 9500 ft/lbs/deg. and did it without adding much weight at all. His suspension mods look neat too. Cool. Mad scientist cool, but cool none the less.

-Ben M.

ps - If the roll-cage version of the chassis has 3.3k ft/lb/degree stiffness I'd hate to see how flexy the standard chassis is.
JmuRiz
QUOTE (andys @ Dec 29 2005, 08:36 PM)
The shop fabricated some very nicely done headers.

I was thinking the same thing about that Ultima. Very cool looking headers. Would an x-over pipe make the backfire less severe?
soloracer
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Dec 29 2005, 10:57 PM)
Mr. solo:
I like hot rods....been doing it for about 40 years. I just happened to land on a 914 and saw it's potential so I hot rodded it.

Mine always have run after I'm "done" and I let them do my talking....till the Internet. Now I help them some

Tain't my fault you gotta come here & brag up someone else's car, so why you trying to give me a hard time?

Holy Moley J.P.! Which one are you? Walter Matthau or Jack Lemmon? You probably forgot that you slagged me in another thread - quite undeservedly I might add. On the bright side I've seen lately that I'm not the only one you seem to have a problem with - calling others "pencil neck" for example. Based upon your previous attack I figured I would post a disclaimer/warning since this type of thread seems to be exactly what you hate. I expected that you would see the humour in it. I guess you take things much more seriously than others.

Just to clarify I'm not "bragging" up someone else's car. I don't know the owner and I don't know much about the car other than what I read on the web. I just found it and thought that it was interesting and that it would be of interest to others. Guess you don't see the difference between "bragging" and finding something interesting. Bragging would be coming on here and saying that I have 40 years putting together hot rods and that I know way more about the ways of the world than anyone else on here. See the difference?
michel richard
I have a feeling this thread is going to be fun to watch.
bondo
It looks like the distributors on the ends of the cams would keep it from fitting comfortably in a 914. I think you'd need to do some alien-like modifications to make it fit.
Cap'n Krusty
A few years back I saw a mid 30s Plymouth with a Viper drivetrain. You could barely tell where they slightly widened the hood and sides of the engine compartment to squeeze it all in. No ride for the weak of nerve, betcha ............. The Cap'n
J P Stein
I would be Walter (Oscar Madison).
As for "slagging", I prefer to think of it as negative reinforcement.
I like most anything automotive....some more than others.
I don't "hate" much of anything. ......maybe liberals & dogs that shit on my lawn, but it's temporary. Hate is a strong word.
If you're gonna do humor, make it obivious.....I'm kinda thick.
My reference to 40 years was intended to show that my interests in cars is wide & deep...and permanent, I'm afraid.
The "pencilneck" and "fuckwad" were aberations. I'm usually more clever with my insults....or like to think so.

Maybe I should switch to positive reinforcement.....I can do"Gee, that's really swell".

MikeP
YOU GUYS BITCH MORE THAN ANY WOMEN I KNOW.
redshift
A W12 will fall in the hole.

rolleyes.gif

M
J P Stein
QUOTE (redshift @ Dec 30 2005, 11:07 AM)

rolleyes.gif

M

Gee, that's really swell.
seanery
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Dec 30 2005, 02:15 PM)

rolleyes.gif

M

av-943.gif
soloracer
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Dec 30 2005, 11:15 AM)

rolleyes.gif

M

JP: Now that's funny!

Cap'n: Do you have a link or pics of the Viper hotrod?

Bondo: I'm not an expert on the subject but couldn't one go with a distributorless ignition system? (Motec, Haltech, etc.) I know on the 944 Turbo there is a kit available now that removes the distributor and goes with a wasted spark arrangement. No doubt any swap of that nature would be tons of work.
airsix
QUOTE (soloracer @ Dec 30 2005, 01:26 PM)
I'm not an expert on the subject but couldn't one go with a distributorless ignition system? (Motec, Haltech, etc.) I know on the 944 Turbo there is a kit available now that removes the distributor and goes with a wasted spark arrangement. No doubt any swap of that nature would be tons of work.

The problem is finding one that will work with 12 cylinders unless you want to run 2 ECUs (or 3 like the factory! One for each bank, and a third to manage them). My ECU for example will work with 2, 4, 6, 8 cyl as well as a 2 or 3 rotor rotary, but it won't work on a v10 or v12. sad.gif One of these v12's would be a riot if you can find a low-cost (sub-stratosphere) ECU solution. The other ECU dillema is finding one capable of driving 12 injectors, but there are a lot of ECUs with high-amp injector drivers. Ignition would be the bigger challenge IMHO.

-Ben M.

grantsfo
I like this one?

http://hotrodhomepage.com/?p=68

...thats just wrong!
Mr.C
www.letsrumble.com biggrin.gif
redshift
ohmy.gif
soloracer
QUOTE (airsix @ Dec 30 2005, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (soloracer @ Dec 30 2005, 01:26 PM)
I'm not an expert on the subject but couldn't one go with a distributorless ignition system?  (Motec, Haltech, etc.)  I know on the 944 Turbo there is a kit available now that removes the distributor and goes with a wasted spark arrangement.  No doubt any swap of that nature would be tons of work.

The problem is finding one that will work with 12 cylinders unless you want to run 2 ECUs (or 3 like the factory! One for each bank, and a third to manage them). My ECU for example will work with 2, 4, 6, 8 cyl as well as a 2 or 3 rotor rotary, but it won't work on a v10 or v12. sad.gif One of these v12's would be a riot if you can find a low-cost (sub-stratosphere) ECU solution. The other ECU dillema is finding one capable of driving 12 injectors, but there are a lot of ECUs with high-amp injector drivers. Ignition would be the bigger challenge IMHO.

-Ben M.

Which ECU do you have? There are very few that work with a 3 rotor so my guess would be TEC 3,Microtech, Motec or Haltech. I have a Haltech E11 and just took a look and it also doesn't run a 12 cylinder - although it can do a V10. Looks like Motec might be the only one that will work.
airsix
My ECU is an old PerfectPower model. Their new ECUs don't apear to support rotaries any more but I could be wrong. Back to the v12... It might not be that hard to run two ECUs - one on each bank. Just Set them up like they are each running a 6 cyl and run the same program on each one. If you used hall sensosr for crank possition and by mounting the crank-trigger pickups strategically you could even synch both ECU's from the same trigger mangnets. Maybe.
-Ben M.
Mr.C
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Dec 30 2005, 02:03 PM)
I like this one?

http://hotrodhomepage.com/?p=68

...thats just wrong!

You think that's wrong?! I was thinking about putting the 4G63T into my 68 Fastback.
Mr.C
Check out the POSITIVE camber! ohmy.gif
J P Stein
That's positive camber....but whatever, me thinks it's excessive. laugh.gif
Carlitos Way
Methinks that's BROKEN, not excessive. But what do I know?
soloracer
Is that a shot from the movie Bullit?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.