Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front trunk release cable...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
sheath broke.... so the length of cable is constantly changing... making it impossible to open front trunk.....

replace just the sheath? or whole cable?

how long of a job?
AA
bd1308
id do the whole thing...

if you can get it open itd be easier than if it were stuck closed.

b
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 29 2005, 09:55 PM)
id do the whole thing...

if you can get it open itd be easier than if it were stuck closed.

b

bumper is off... getting it open is not a problem....
bd1308
so it will take x amount of minutes

lim x^e =
x->inf

r_towle
it has a wierd fitting on the end near the drivers compartment...

But....

A standard 9 foot aftermarket choke cable (10 bucks) will work...you can loose the cable and just use the metal bolen...

I think it fits inside the original plastic tube too..

I just did this for the engine lid...works great.

Rich
jim912928
Don't replace it with the factory plastic thingy...those just bind too much and have too much play. I had so much trouble with that sheath..even replaced the cable and still had trouble. My easy 20 dollar fix...take the metal cable down to your local gokart shop...have them cut you some brake/clutch cable the length of the plastic sheath..take out the braided cable....then slide the existing solid 914 cable into it. Works like butter and I can release the trunk with 1 finger.
rhodyguy
arron, same reason i had to pull my bumper in camarillo. the sheath would work it's way through the clamp and prevent the latch from releasing the hood. if the sheath is still all there, loosen the clamp near the latch, re-adjust the cable, put just a dab of 2 part epoxy on the sheath at the clamp. let harden. check operation a few times, reinstall the bumper. 6 months and no more problems.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.