Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine swapability?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lincoln
ok ok sooner or later i KNOW a 1.8 will feel too small for me and im not terribly interested in a v-8 conversion because then it wont really be a porsche anymore ( altho its most vw right now ?) and same with the v6 americanmade motor swaps

only american made motor i would consider would maybe be the new chrysler hemi, but that takes a lotta coin

question is what porsche motors are interchangable without having to go a full custom install, ie; what fits the stock 914 without major modification , as in it drops in easy and can do it in a weekend?

getting my feelers out now so when time comes ill already be forewarned heheh

BTW the baby blue is really starting to grow on me so im bout 98% sure its will be repainted same color
Racing914six
Not sure if it can be done in a weekend, but the 911 engine option is great. The extra torque, the sweet sound of HP music in flat six is unforgetable.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (lincoln @ Dec 30 2005, 03:07 AM)
im bout 98% sure its will be repainted same color

+1 boldblue.gif
John
The only ones that are plug & play will be the TIV engines. They are the only 'bolt-in' option.

The -6 conversion costs money and requires some modification period. (how much money depends on how good you are at being resourceful)

The easiest conversion for you would be to get a stock 2.0 with fuel injection and both engine wire harnesses. This would virtually bolt in with minimal effort. My next suggestion would be a TIV with carbs (less wiring to contend with, but very little mods including fuel pump, etc.).

just my 0.02
lincoln
k now up to the 99% on repaint heheh

guy i got car from said he has a friend selling a motor, think he said it was a 2.0 bore kitted to a 2.9? maybe 2.7 for $500

altho considering the amount of shall we say fabrication , in the description of the car itself, and the truth im beginning to sort out ,im not sure id be willing to believe him a lot

interestingly , i was in germany in 84-85 and just think if i had remembered this car then- could have gotten a euro version probly with a rh drive heheh

thinks we wish we did looking back eh?
davep
The engine would have to go well beyond a 2.0 bore to reach 2.7 or 2.9 since you cannot fit that much stroke. If done properly the engine would be worth over $10K not $500, otherwise it is just a core.

No RH drive in Germany, a few converted in the UK and Australia, but definitely not factory.

The only drop in, as has been stated previously, is the type 4. Jake or McMark can help with a good one. Otherwise the next easiest install is a 911 motor using the 914/6 parts. The car is at least designed for it.

If you look carefully at the 914 you won't find that it is even 50% VW, most is unique unto itself.
lincoln
yea from what i have read here and a place or 2 other theres no way it could have been a 2.9 from a 2.0- is nice to get confirmation tho

this will probly not be for at least a year tho on upgrade motor- ill have to see how fast i outgrow the 1.8 first
SirAndy
QUOTE (davep @ Dec 30 2005, 07:23 AM)
No RH drive in Germany, a few converted in the UK and Australia, but definitely not factory.

agree.gif most certainly *NO* RHD in germany ... wink.gif

smilie_flagge6.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (lincoln @ Dec 30 2005, 08:42 AM)
yea from what i have read here and a place or 2 other theres no way it could have been a 2.9 from a 2.0- is nice to get confirmation tho

jake makes a 3.0L TIV ...

i *think* he usually starts with a 1.7L case ...
burnout.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.