Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Oil Cooler Shrouds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
I am going to fabricate my oil cooler shroud and I would like to make it resemble (loosly) the GT oil shroud. I have a bunch of pics of the real deal, but don't have any dimensions.

I know some of you have the FG reproductions and some may have originals. If someone could get me a few dimensions to get me started, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks in advance.
maf914
Since you're following the GT shroud concept only loosely, why not make a template that fits your arrangement from cardboard and have a local HVAC shop bend it from sheet metal. They have cutters and sheet metal forming brakes to do this kind of work. I've done this for a different sheet metal project and it worked out fine. Just a thought... idea.gif
RON S.
John,

When I installed my O.C. in my car,I naively thuoght that all I had to do was buy a shroud,paint it and install it and I'd be done.biggrin.gif

I put a Mazda cooler in my car,and didn't give the fit of the shroud any thought.unsure.gif

As you can see in the photo, I had to do a lotta cutting:sawzall: and re-glassing to get my shroud to look correct.It is al gonna come down to what your gonna use for a cooler,and what it's size is,is gonna determine the fit of the shroud.

I have no Idea what oil cooler the repo-shrouds were designed to fit over,but a Mazda unit definately isn't it.

Ron
John
I know I am going to have to 'modify' the design to work with my cooler and this is no problem. I simply didn't want to spend the money to buy a repro and have to spend almost as much time modifying it than it would take to fab one up from scratch.

I am primarily looking for things like:

1) How far back from the front Bulkhead does the shroud extend. (where it attaches to the floor)

2) Width of shroud at front and back. (and how far back this transition occurs)

3) How far back is the downward break in the shroud.

4) How far apart are the 'reverse ribs'?

MAF914,

I have done this in the past as well, but the quality and fit are never there when someone else fabs my stuff. I have everything I need to make nice sheet metal parts with the exception of some general dimensions.

I suppose I may have to just guess at more of the dimensions than I would like to.

Yes I am a CASOB
kdfoust
See if this helps...

Of course, "DO NOT SCALE DRAWING." biggrin.gif

Later,
Kevin
John
That's perfect,

Thanks Kevin!!! smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif beerchug.gif

I'll have to post some pics when I make mine.

My 3.2 conversion is getting closer by the day.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.