Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: leather steering wheel ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
between the leather wheel of a 914/4 and a 914/6. I will be putting a 914/4 leather wheel on ebay once I get it removed but I saw a 914/6 leather wheel on ebay that the ebayer put a reserve higher than the highest bid of $406 which got me wondering a bit if there was a difference.

Jim

Selling some stuff to get some cash to put towards my future V8 conversion and ebay unfortunately fetches the highest prices it seems??
anthony
I don't think four cylinder and six cylinder wheels are compatible. I think the six cylinder wheel is the same as early 911 wheels. The four cylinder wheel is it's own (VW steering column) thing.
jimkelly
I think you are correct - I just found a 1973 914 2.0 leather steering wheel on ebay - the back side is different that the 911 one. I'll keep an eye on it to see what it sells for. thanks.
SLITS
Buy the leather wrap kit and roll your own....about $50.00
smooth_eddy
Not to steal your thread..............but what is leatherette? confused24.gif Eddy
jd74914
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Dec 30 2005, 06:25 PM)
Not to steal your thread..............but what is leatherette? confused24.gif Eddy

fake leather . . . thats whats on on normal 914 seats, dash, etc cool.gif
914Sixer
The 4 and 6 wheels are the same. The difference is what is on the back, The four has a plastic hub and canceling ring. The 6 has a 911 canceling ring that is completely different from the 4. You can take a wheel up to a 72 and make it a 6 wheel with 911 parts. The early wheels had beveled holes for the 911 cancelling rings. They quit the beveled holes mid 72. The 911 sport wheel option in 72-73 was the smaller 914 wheel that was 380mm vs 400mm for the 911 wheel.
Allan
I don't even want to come close to a hijacked.gif but does the Momo adapter come with the canceller (sp?)?
ein 6er
here is what little i have learned from reading what others have to say about the differences .....

the -6 wheel has 2 counter sunk screw holes on the back for the turn sig cancel ring. so they will work on 911s. now i don't know if some -4 wheels had these holes, maybe just the early ones. maybe the part #s tell the story. from what i've read in post on pelican the -6 leather wheels had 3 part #s, 914.347.806.10, 347.805.10 and 805.11. i don't know if these same part #s were used on early -4s or not.

there are 2 different hubs, one is flat and the other has a recess. my -6 hub is flat as are the 911 hubs i've seen. the few hubs that i have seen on ebay that have the recess, do not have the 2 counter sunk screw holes on the back, but do have the 4 small screw holes that the -4 plastic spacer mounts to, my -6 wheel has these holes also. the 2 counter sunk holes would need to be drilled in these wheels for them to be used with the 911/6er style cancel ring.

to my understanding, the 911 rs used the -6 wheel. so the correct part # -6 wheels, that have been on ebay are prossibly being bid up by rs guys looking for the correct part #.

here are some pics,

hubs, recessed and flat,

Howard
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 30 2005, 06:52 PM)
I don't even want to come close to a hijacked.gif but does the Momo adapter come with the canceller (sp?)?

mine did
ein 6er
counter sunk holes (black) and -4 plastic spacer screw holes (white).
ein 6er
-4 spacer, 4 screw holes.
ein 6er
911/-6 sig cancel ring,
ein 6er
-4 spacer with sig cancel ring
Aaron Cox
911 guys like the /6 wheels becasue they are smaller than the 911 ones... perfect for a 911R
FlatSix
I picked up a leather 911 steering wheel at an autojumble a few years ago, part number 911 347 082 00 (manufactured 09 72).

I was going to put in on ebay. I assume it is not a rare /6 and shouldn't put a high reserve on it or am I wrong?

Andrew

FlatSix
Another picture
andys
Jim,

For a track car, I would suggest suede; un-matched grip when wearing gloves, but not very practical for a street car.

Andys
Allan
QUOTE (FlatSix @ Dec 31 2005, 09:51 AM)
I was going to put in on ebay. I assume it is not a rare /6 and shouldn't put a high reserve on it or am I wrong?

Andrew

It looks like you have the /6 cancelling ring.
ein 6er
andrew,

914 wheels have a "914" part #. the -6 wheel is 380mm, i don't know if any 911 part #ed wheels were 380mm.
FlatSix
From where to where do you measure the diameter?

Measuring from the outside of the rim to the outside of the rim of the wheel, i.e. the widest possible measurement, it measures 400mm.

Andrew
ein 6er
andrew,

rom where to where do you measure the diameter?

yup, out to out.

i have the same 911 wheel, i think i paid about $100. for it off ebay. looked better in pictures, it had a crappy after market leather wrap.

FlatSix
Mine looks like it is a 'factory' leather wheel, but the leather has seen better days.
ein 6er
andrew,

AGLA sells kits to redo leather wheels. the guy's name is alan gun, he is located here in florida near miami. i recently went down there and picked up a kit to redo my -6 wheel, but haven't started it yet. the kits come with every thing you need to do it yourself, needles, thread and instructions. alan seems like a real nice guy, he went out of his way to help me.

i'll shoot some pics when i do mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.