Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Sway Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
My gas tank is coming out in the next few weeks for new fuel lines. Thought it would be the perfect time to add a front sway bar to my car. I have Bills on all 4 corners (not sure what springs in the back) and the car is used for street only. So the question is: do I buy an inexpensive, used (some rust) factory (15mm?) from a club member or pay the big bucks for an aftermarket? I do not AX, just want a better handling car. Thanks, Eddy
Allan
I think even a stock bar will give you a noticeably better ride. I went from nothing to a stock bar and it made a huge difference. I would say go stock (used) unless you come across a really screaming deal on a used Welt or Tarret. I would never spend hundreds of dollars on a new aftermarket bar.
smooth_eddy
 I would never spend hundreds of dollars on a new aftermarket bar.

The aftermarket bars are close to 500 bucks............Eddy
TravisNeff
Stock is fine, get new bushings. For the next level it would be a Welt bar which I believe you can score for about $250 from GPR Parts. Tarret comes next and then the Smart bar.

If it came down to a used stock bar for a $100 or so plus shipping and somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 bucks for new bushings, I would really be leaning for a Welt bar. Oh yeah, you will want to spring for the reinforced backing plate (25) for the larger bars
Trekkor
New SRP front bar will set you back $700 today.

For the street, go used.

I think Rich at HPH may have several to choose from.

KT
smooth_eddy
New SRP front bar will set you back $700 today.

For the street, go used.

I think Rich at HPH may have several to choose from.

What is HPH? I googled it and it came back as a hair piece for men. Funny thing is, the price was $699 for 2 of them cool_shades.gif Eddy
TravisNeff
Rich Bontempi's high performance house in the SF bay area
Eric_Shea
Stock.

If you want a little more, try to find a 930 bar from a 76 MY only. They're kinda rare but they're out there. A lot of guys with 76 Turbo's replaced the bar and they have them sitting in their attic or their garage. It's a stock factory bar but it's 18mm with beefier arms. Get 914 drop links though... thier about 1.5" longer (I believe, they might be 1.5" shorter, but they are different than the 911 drops).

Otherwise stock would be just fine for what you're doing. Going rate is $50-$100. The later has everything.

Regarding the rust issue, bead blast it and repaint with POR-15 or Zero-Rust.

Get your mounting plates from Mark Bland (Engman here). Excellent quality.

E.
E-Man
I have a stock 15mm bar with links you can have for $60 plus shipping. Pictures available.
-Mike Dugan
North Bay 914
The car already has a 911 SC 21 MM bar on it...unless you removed it.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (North Bay 914 @ Dec 30 2005, 10:11 PM)

WTF.gif lol2.gif
Foster
QUOTE (E-Man @ Dec 30 2005, 08:18 PM)
I have a stock 15mm bar with links you can have for $60 plus shipping. Pictures available.
-Mike Dugan

Errr, I'd take you up on that offer if he doesn't. smile.gif
North Bay 914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 30 2005, 09:18 PM)
WTF.gif lol2.gif

Dude, no kidding the car has a 911 SC front suspension with the under chassis type SC 21 MM bar. Have you ever looked under the front of the car?
dlo914
QUOTE (Foster @ Dec 30 2005, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (E-Man @ Dec 30 2005, 08:18 PM)
I have a stock 15mm bar with links you can have for $60 plus shipping.  Pictures available.
-Mike Dugan

Errr, I'd take you up on that offer if he doesn't. smile.gif

i'll take dibs if that falls through... wink.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE (E-Man @ Dec 30 2005, 04:18 PM)
-Mike Dugan

I dont' know Mike but FWIW that is a great offer and it is true that even a stock setup (in decent condition) is a HUGE improvement over no swaybar!

If you have the $$ go to at least a Weltmeister adjustable 19mm; with which you will also want/need some stiffer rear springs (140lb is typical). It's a $lippery $lope to the dark $ide from there!
smooth_eddy

confused24.gif There are no drop links on the A arms? I swear.......
North Bay 914
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Dec 31 2005, 12:21 AM)
There are no drop links on the A arms? I swear.......

The SC bar is an under the A-Arm type bar, connecting to the bottom of the A-Arm, running behind the front suspension. That bar/shock set up would benifit with a stiffer rear spring. That car always pushed set up like it is.
North Bay 914
Like this...(left photo)
smooth_eddy
Oh...........Uh, Thanks. I thought all sway bars had the drop links and used horiz bars thru the tank area. I did not know the 911 used a different type of set up. Eddy
Allan
People like the thru-body bars because you can add adjustable drop links.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Dec 31 2005, 09:34 AM)
Oh...........Uh, Thanks. I thought all sway bars had the drop links and used horiz bars thru the tank area. I did not know the 911 used a different type of set up. Eddy

look at slugmika's custom swaybar....
user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.