Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 idle problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
opera guy
long time no post, been lurkin a bit, ... anyway, love my 914 still, but a new problem is buggin me. it seems after about 20 freeway miles in fall/winter here in so cal, my car has problem idleing. say, if im going about 60-70mph on the freeway, for 20 or more minutes, and i exit, by the time im at the end of the exit, im in neutral, car supposed to be idling at about 1k rpm, but, it just dies. im temporary "fixing" or "dealing" with this by blipping the gas while braking with the left foot.

car idles fine when its cold, any hints?

thanks
Allan
Carbs or FI?
opera guy
FI.. (dont even suggest going carb. biggrin.gif )
r_towle
check your mps and see if it holds a vacuum.

Mine did not, same symptoms.

Rich
bd1308
do you have a decel valve?

b
Cap'n Krusty
"Idles fine cold"? Idle should remain high (1500 RPM or so) for 3-5 minutes before settling down to 1K. If it doesn't, you need to test and repair/replace the AAR. Points can cause this problem, as can a worn out breaker plate, the thing the points mount on. A rich mixture, and even a lean one, can cause this. As was already said, check the MPS to see if it holds vacuum. The Cap'n
opera guy
how do i check if the mps is holding vacuum?
opera guy
how do i check if the mps is holding vacuum?

where is the decel valve? i dont know where it is.
ThinAir
If it idles fine cold, but not when it's warm then the FIRST thing to check is your valve adjustment. Odds are pretty good that your valves are too tight. Almost everything else that it could be will cost you money, but this is free (if you do your own). Besides, a lot of the other things that it could be depend upon proper valve adjustment or they won't be right either. Start with the basics, then look for more complicated things if it doesn't help.
hotdgr
QUOTE (ThinAir914 @ Dec 30 2005, 05:55 PM)
If it idles fine cold, but not when it's warm then the FIRST thing to check is your valve adjustment. Odds are pretty good that your valves are too tight. Almost everything else that it could be will cost you money, but this is free (if you do your own). Besides, a lot of the other things that it could be depend upon proper valve adjustment or they won't be right either. Start with the basics, then look for more complicated things if it doesn't help.

Good advice, Ernie clap.gif
Allan
QUOTE (hotdgr @ Dec 30 2005, 07:00 PM)
Good advice, Ernie clap.gif

agree.gif
opera guy
will definately do the valves. thanks for that reminder.

how do i check the mps's vacuumness? wacko.gif
bd1308
pull 15psi on the mps port from a vac pump thing from FLAPS.

if it holds for 5-10 minutes with minimal/no bleed-down then you're set.

b
vesnyder
I have the exact same issue - will check the valves, among other things!
Bleyseng
and check your timing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.