Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New header install - how do i keep the clutch and
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
installed a eurorace header today.

now the clutch and speedo cables rest on the header!

what have you guys done????

AA
Mugs914
I've always used Adell (sp?) clamps to keep the various cables away from the headers. I enlarge the holes if needed, and hook them to any handy nut or bolt on the bottom. The tranny side cover bolts work pretty well...

You might also want to cover the cables with some sort of heat barrier sleeve, just in case.
porsha916
I used a sheet metal bracket off the engine tin and some cable ties (zip strips).
Take Care
Bill
Aaron Cox
local peeps running these...

ellyut cannnon, twystd1....

what are you guys doing....

so the padded clamps to the tranny eh?

AA
brant
Aaron,

back when we had the -4 car with header....
we used to just make little tiny metal brackets and screw them onto extra nuts (like the above mentioned tranny studs)...

then zip tie the cables out of most of harms way.

but they still will melt without some type of wrap or shielding.

I've had REALLY good luck with the orange high temp stuff.
Its super expensive (I think 10$/foot) but works.

Here is a picture of some of it on an oil line in the new car.
but in the old car we had about 2.5-3ft on the clutch, speedo cable where it passed close to the header. Its available mail order or race shops although its getting more and more common and may even be at Napa now.

Aaron Cox
yarg....money..... sad.gif
brant
yeah...
but worth the 20 bucks.
that stuff is good.
its space shuttle good.
really works
and those headers get hot.
I've got speedo cables that are a melted mess of just the inside spring lining

its cheaper than a new cable or a tow from a broken clutch cable.

at least the zip ties and brackets are cheap!
and you can make the brackets from aluminum to save weight!
brant
Allan
QUOTE (brant @ Dec 30 2005, 09:11 PM)
that stuff is good.
its space shuttle good.

Hhmmm. NASA.
bernbomb914
we used a high temp silcone tubing that slipped over the cable for the clutch, and some woven high temp cloth over the other cables.

Bernie
SLITS
You can buy header wrap and wrap the headers.

Advantage: Keeps heat in..helps with HP

Disadvantage: Crystallizes metal over a period of time
Mugs914
I agree with Brant about the orange silicone temp sleeve stuff. I had cables fall onto the headers with no damage, but it are pricey.

I found this stuff at Pegasus racing, nice looking stuff and the price is right. About 14 - 18 clams for a three foot stick. It says its good up to 750 deg. but that should be enough if it isn't sitting right on the header.

Here's a link...

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ProductSe...sp?Product=1831
ChrisFoley
smile.gif
ChrisFoley
Installed:
ChrisFoley
smile.gif
JB 914
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 30 2005, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ Dec 30 2005, 09:11 PM)
that stuff is good.
its space shuttle good.

Is it O-Ring good? or insulation foam good?

slap.gif There i smacked myself.
Type 4 Unleashed
Aaron, I used a piece of stainless steel rod, it was from a wall shelf , I put a big loop at one end, big enough to get the clutch and speedo cable in, the other end a small loop to go around one of the studs of the out put shafts side plate, it needs to be around 8" to 10 " long.

I bent the rod to hold the cables about 2" off the headers, it works great. For something easy to find, use a welding rod not to small in dia. so it's stiff enough, but small enough to go around the side plate's 8mm stud, break the flux off with a hammer.

Figure the rest out for yourself happy11.gif
IronHillRestorations
On the six engine case there should be a M6 stud near the parting line of the case, this is where I've always clamped off those cables.
DNHunt
I'm using electrical shrink tubing on the cables and so far it's OK. I used a long 6mm screw in place of one of the cheesehead screws on the tin to support a bracket and then I zip tied the cables up. It's definitely bodged but it seems to work. If I ever sell it'lll be a DPO for sure. screwy.gif

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.