Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanStott
I have noticed the coil is mounted on the engine most of the time. What is the main reason for that? Does the coil wire need to be as short as possible? Is there anything negative about mounting it on the firewall?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
736conver
The only negative thing I can see about it is when its time to drop the engine.
Also its not moving as one with the engine and the coil wire is kind of like the tether. I dont know how much the engine actually moves in the engine bay but that wire is going to be receiving movement it wouldnt by being mounted on the engine.
IanStott
Good point about the movement, I was thinking my engine looks so nice now that it is cleaned up I wanted keep it looking uncluttered.

Ian Stott
ThinAir
On my son's '75 Bus the coil is mounted with a bracket to the "shoulder" of the fan housing just in front of the standard sheet mounting location. When I rebuilt my 2.0L I managed to find one of those brackets and mounted my coil there. It has the advantage of still being on the engine, but it doesn't put the stress on the sheet metal that often produces cracks in the coil-mount area.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.