Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need a source for engine tin sheet metal screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pnewman
I need a source for engine tin sheet metal screws. mine are in pretty bad shape.

I have a couple that appear to be stainless steel. Does anyone know of a source for the engine cooling tin sheet metal screws?

Thanks,

Also I am still looking for the right torque specifications for my exhaust manifold.

Pete beer.gif
Aaron Cox
wolfsburgwest.com
Allan
I took one of the cheesehead screws down to a local nut and bolt place and he matched it up with some stainless allen head screws. Worked good.
type47
when i was picking up my engine sheet metal from the powdercoaters, a fellow dropped in and the shop "cleaned" up his old sheet metal screws using their..... sand blaster? bead blaster? whatever they had that cleaned off parts before they powdercoated them. i picked up some SS hex head bolts (6mm for various places) but i've yet to find SS cheesehead screws. another alternative is to use allen head bolts which are usually black or zinc, but found at the local hardware store.
Mark Henry
Yep most hardware supply places can get them...or bug shops. You can get raw, chrome and SS.
JeffBowlsby
mcmaster-carr

They are online

biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Just about any aircooled VW shop has them
ThinAir
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Dec 31 2005, 09:59 AM)
mcmaster-carr  They are online

WOW! McMaster-Carr This has got to be one of the best-kept secrets around. This place is amazing.

To find what you need, find the Fastener section, then pick Machine Screws, then Cheese Head (didn't know this was a real name for it!). They've got every thread, pitch and length that you could ever want.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ThinAir914 @ Dec 31 2005, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Dec 31 2005, 09:59 AM)
mcmaster-carr  They are online

WOW! McMaster-Carr This has got to be one of the best-kept secrets around. This place is amazing.

To find what you need, find the Fastener section, then pick Sheet Metal screws, then Cheese Head (didn't know this was a real name for it!). They've got every thread, pitch and length that you could ever want.

go to machine screws for cheeseheads
ThinAir
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 31 2005, 11:10 AM)
go to machine screws for cheeseheads

Oops! I was going from memory. I'll fix the original post. Thanks Aaron!
JeffBowlsby

Better than amazing, the place is in a category all its own, beyond description...a hardware store extraordinaire. Order today and you receive it immediately. They have tons of items not available anywhere else. You can spend days and hours exploring their catalog...its paradise for some of us so inclined...Their print catalog is voluminous, their service impeccable, their prices very fair.
qa1142
I set up an account years ago. I usually get the box within 48 hrs of web order. Once I ordered in evening and it came next day! (they are 20 miles from here)

Drill rod, bearings, drill bits, taps, crack inspection kits (yes)

I have used them often.
Bartlett 914
You can also try MSC. Mscdirect.com. They are a great source for machine shop tools. Another is Metric and multistandard components. I think it is metricmmc.com. Do a google and be sure. They are usually my first choice. If they don't have it, you probably won't find it.

Mark
wilchek
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewprodu...THB0002&cartid=

Pick phillips head

simple and easy
pnewman
I am not much for keeping oem. What works best goes in!

Stainless Steel internal hex head screws turn me on! wub.gif

TO CONFIRM: 6mm thread? how about thread pitch?

I probably won't be dealing with a porsche or vw guy.
Katmanken
Glad that internal hex screws turn you on..

But remember, the screws holding the tin on CAN be a real bitch to remove later- particularly from the heads.

I always think of internal hex screws stripping out... Musta removed too many CV bolts in my life... blink.gif

Ken
pnewman
You're right about the cv joints and boots. If I had a dollar for everytime that I had to put a vice grip on the exterior of a cv bolt or pound the next larger size hex in to a stripped one I would be rich!

But to me slotted screws are even worse! You don't see anyone assembling a car with slotted bolts.

And if possible stainless steel would minimize the dielectric reaction between unlike metals that I have found seizing bolts.

However; finding self tapping stainless internal hex head 6mm bolts might be tough!

just a thought,

Pete
Katmanken
There is a reason they invented hammer driven impact drivers with slotted and philips screw bits..

A whack or two with the hammer and out they spin....

Mmmmmm.... Craftsman....

Not sure if stainless hardware will make it easier to remove.

Ken
jimtab
Any hardware store that uses Hillman fasteners as their fastner supplier will be able to get you stainless screws with c/s hex or better yet torx drive. Even if the store doesn't stock it, they can be ordered...no big deal. We stock ss, cp and standard in button head hex drive and have ordered torx for a few folks. And McMaster-Carr gets a VERY good markup on their products...I promise you.
pnewman
Thank beer.gif s for the info. I will call around for Hillman suppliers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.