Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanStott
Performance products advertises a fuel regulator for a carb'd engine, anyone use one and what is the general opinion?

Ian Stott
Mark Henry
I'd have to see it. What pump are you using?

The cheap chrome ones are total crap, Holley is the better one. If you're just running a fauct low pressure pump you can get away without it.

I don't like the stock FI pump with a return.
ChicagoChris
I use one.

I have a pressure regulator from Holly for my Weber carbs. A fuel pump generally puts out more then the carbs can use. (about 5 lbs) In a street to medium "built" engine of our size more isn't always better. It is a small engine and can get bogged down easy. I have mine set at three pounds of pressure. Set the pressure lower for slightly better fuel economy. But decide what pressure to run at then tune the carbs to the pressure. (ie jets and tubes) That way you avoid a rich or lean situation.
Mueller
depends on the fuel pump and the requirement of the carbs.....

1st you need a fuel pump designed for carbs (carbs use lower pressure, 3-5psi mostly)

a fuel pressure regulator is a good idea, however without a method to measure the pressure it is sorta useless unless you know what to look for.....

I'm all about having as much information possible so I have a fuel pressure gauge mounted inside my engine compartment, makes troubleshooting easier...

70Sixter
Yes you need a quality unit. ChicagoChris and Mueller are absolutely correct about pressure.
ChicagoChris
OK forgot a bit of information...When I mounted the regulator I mounted the bracket to the firewall. I also had an adtional fitting attatched to one side of the regulator. In that fitting I installed a pressure gauge.

The fuel lines run allong the firewall till they are even with the carb inputs, then make the turn into the carbs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.