Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How's McMark doing??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MartyYeoman
Anybody hear how McMark and his shop is doing?
The television showed flooding within a block or two of his door.
Any news yet???
Trekkor
I went over to see Brandon( Marks's Landlord and painter in the same shop ) this morning at his house.

News sounds pretty bad. brandon said they were sand bagging 'til 6:00 and the water was at the door.

Brandon told me they were *swimming* from tree to tree and using a railroad tie as a floatation device ohmy.gif

This was before the rise and crest this afternoon.

I went out and took a look around. Currently can't get within 4-5 blocks of the shop.

There is a very strong chance that the water is standing 2-4 feet above their front door right now.

Brandon didn't look too good. His car was left behind.
He said he thinks the cars in the shop are floating around and bumping into each other. sad.gif

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 31 2005, 01:13 PM)
He said he thinks the cars in the shop are floating around and bumping into each other.

my engine! ohmy.gif
ThinAir
Ouch! I'm really hoping that things are much better than they seem.
Trekkor
my engine!

I know, I thought of you and Randal, too. ohmy.gif

Many areas of town are *boat only*.
All of the east-west roads are closed.

This blue car went into water to deep, stalled his motor and the inside of the passenger compartment was full of water, too.

Trekkor
This pic is looking toward their shop from about 1 mile east...They are quite a bit lower though sad.gif
neo914-6
Unbelievable! Mark hasn't answered his cell... sad.gif

confused24.gif

Trekkor
I just caught a national story off CNN.
"Mandatory evacuations".

Another big storm due tommorrow along with a 6.9 foot high tide.

This flood is proving to be worse than the '82 and '86 seasons.

KT
736conver
Whats going on havent watch any news lately. Big storm/rain???

Hope everyone is ok and insured.
Trekkor
I'm on the phone with Brandon right now.

Andy, your motor is up on Mark's desk. clap.gif
Mark Henry
Man that sucks sad.gif
qa1142
Sunny Calf
scottb
oh crap that sucks!!!!

stroke, stroke, breath!!!!

repeat as needed....

hope everyone and everything is alright......
sgomes
When I was there about a month ago, Gwen's car was there. I hope she got it out before the storm!
jgara962
Mark,

If you need anything, let me know.
sixnotfour
Too much rain sucks mad.gif
Hope it recedes quickly
TravisNeff
From the weather channel:

Inundating rain from a powerhouse winter storm has triggered major flooding over parts of Northern California and Nevada. From 4-9 inches of rain in just 24 hours has sent the Napa River to a record level in St. Helena, eclipsing the previous record crest from 1986 by a whopping 3 feet. The crest will work downstream, and, unfortunately, flood parts of the valley, including Napa County's many vineyards. Numerous rivers and streams, including the Russian River, were also reported out of their banks in Sonoma County. Several stretches of the 101 freeway in Marin County (north of San Francisco) were flooded out, and some stretches of I-80, 680, and 880 were under water in the Bay Area. A rockslide shutdown I-80 near the Nevada/California state line earlier Saturday. Flooding also became a major concern along the Truckee River, where the river was expected to crest from 2-3 feet above flood stage in downtown Reno, Nev. This would lead to significant flooding of parts of the city, including the Reno-Tahoe Airport, the most significant flood since 1997.

Flood watches are also posted for the burn areas of Southern California for not only Saturday's system, but a potentially stronger, wetter system poised to slide in Sunday night & Monday. Rain will increase from the first system (Saturday) through the evening, letting up by daybreak on New Year's Day.

If that's not enough, strong winds and high mountain snow will be the rule for most from the Sierra to the Wasatch, Tetons, and Rockies of Colorado. Snow should pile up to the tune of another 1-2 feet in the Tetons & Wasatch. However, strong winds developing later Saturday could gust in excess of 100 mph over the Sierra crest, and in the neighborhood of 60 mph in the Wasatch.
ThinAir
We've been watching all these storms hit northern California, Oregon & Washington and then go north of Flagstaff, leaving us with one of the driest winters in several years. Supposedly the storm that is hitting Napa now will get to us and finally bring us some moisture tomorrow. I hope that's true, but I only wish we could arrange to get the moisture without having these storms dump more on the folks who don't need it. Wishful thinking, I know.

Hang in there Mark! We're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers for safety and a minimum of damage.
DNHunt
Ah man I'm sorry to hear about this. For what it's worth I'll be thinking about you guys and sending it along upstairs. Nature can sure make you feel mighty small. My yard is like a sponge but we're above water. I'm sure some of the flatlanders are getting their feet wet around here but, nothing like you guys have.

I once had an outboard go into the Columbia River. The kill switch shut it down so it didn't bust. We plulled the plugs, pumped it out and dried it with starter fluiid and got it fired up in about 5 minutes. Maybe things won't be too bad.

Dave
jgara962
Here are a couple of pictuers from the end of my street. A bunch of the neighbors were down there watching people try and make it through the "lake". The green Chrysler had two women in it, both on their cell phones, making way to big of a wake. We knew they weren't going to make it from the beginning. The passenger stuck her top half out the window, and her phone popped out of her pocket into the water biggrin.gif
jgara962
lapuwali
It's not been a very good month for several NoCal 914ers...Let's hope '06 is better.

lagunero
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 31 2005, 02:01 PM)

Andy, your motor is up on Mark's desk. clap.gif

It floated that high?!

Seriously, Mark let us know if you need anything!
jimtab
Mark, if you need a "cleanup crew" I'm sure something could be arranged after the waters receede....soon we hope. Hang in there. Relax, there isn't much to be done until after the water is gone.
Mueller
Mark and the shop are okay, I just got off the phone with Mark....

they got about 2 inches of water in the shop...all cars are raised about 1 foot or so above the shop floor....let's hope that the rain slows down and the flooding stops...

Allan
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 31 2005, 05:49 PM)

they got about 2 inches of water in the shop...all cars are raised about 1 foot or so above the shop floor....let's hope that the rain slows down and the flooding stops...

That's good news. I thought I was going to have to send Andy my new Wayne Dempsey rebuild book. biggrin.gif
Leo Imperial
Mark just say the word if you need help.
Nothing going on till Monday night, so let me know.

And Mike good to see you the other day at Rogers.
Now come over here and help me.

Leo
ThinAir
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 31 2005, 06:49 PM)

Excellent news! We'll keep praying that it stays that way!
MartyYeoman
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 31 2005, 05:49 PM)
...all cars are raised about 1 foot or so above the shop floor....

Jackstands to the rescue!!!

All kidding aside, Count me in for the cleanup crew.
crash914
Shit...just caught this today....

my grand parents are planted in the cemetary right around the corner from Marks shop....hope they aren't floating around.....

glad the shop is ok....
sixnotfour
weather report icon_bump.gif
Tobra
Freaky warm storm, it was raining up at Tahoe, according to the folks. Fortunately they took 50 back to Sacto, 80 apparently had a mudslide or something near Truckee. Windy and nasty out there now, I bet water is getting whipped off that Yolo bypass across 80 east of Sacramento.

Floods suck, but on a motor you may be able to clean it up, change the oil and filter and do all right. I was stuck in a crazy rainstorm when I lived in Texas. 25 inches in about 12 hours in the Houston area. Did you know that on graphics for the weather radar, after green, yellow and red is purple for rain intensity? Never drive across water, it may be rising fast, seen it happen
McMark
My internet access just came back online. type.gif

I just got back into the shop this morning and everything is absolutely perfect! We really dodged a bullet here. Water came up to our doorstep and that's it. WHEW! We are so lucky to be up a little higher than everyone else. The other shops on our street got about 2 feet of water inside. sad.gif

On Friday night at about midnight, Allison and I stopped by the shop to check things out. Brandon showed up and we commiserated about the potential for flooding. Allison and I left at about 12:45 to get some sleep and Brandon stayed behind. There were no signs of flooding and I honestly didn't think it was going to happen (pinch.gif). At 1:30 Brandon called and said that water was already halfway up out driveway and about a foot deep on our street. ohmy.gif So I grabbed my dad's truck and quickly went down to start prepping. Brandon, our Landlord, his son, and I quickly put up the wood bracing in front of the roll up doors and stapled plastic to it. By about 3 am we had all of the roll up doors blocked off. Brandon and I were able to get two trips to get sandbags before the water got too deep and I wasn't comfortable driving my dad's truck anymore. So I parked it on higher ground, left my wallet, keys and cell phone inside. Brandon and I set to raising all the cars with whatever we could find. Finally at about 6:30 am we started the trek through chest deep flood waters for home. It was pretty scary to be walking through some of the water, because of the currents, but we made it just fine.

I slept for about three hours and then we got up and spent Saturday trying to find a way to see how bad the damage was. Sat was sunny, so the immediate flood danger was over. I was able to get a boat ride to the shop and look around. From the outside it looked like we had gotten 2 inches in the shop. Which would have been fine. So that was a great relief. At about 8 pm last night the waters will still too high to drive. So there was nothing to do until this morning.

Thanks again for everyone's concern and offers of assistance. I'm happy to be able to say that we're fine. grouphug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 1 2006, 01:31 PM)
Thanks again for everyone's concern and offers of assistance. I'm happy to be able to say that we're fine. grouphug.gif

how about the next one that is moving in right now ???

ohmy.gif Andy
Trekkor
Glad to hear the water stayed down for the most part.

I'm gonna go see for myself... ph34r.gif

KT
TINCAN914
Good news Mark, hopefully the next one passes right on by.. Keep dry..
You will be in our thoughts.... wink.gif
scotty b
For those of us not in the know, is this a low lying area ( New Orleans) or just near a flood prone waterway?? Glad to see all is O.K. at your shop anyway smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (scotty b @ Jan 1 2006, 03:17 PM)
For those of us not in the know, is this a low lying area ( New Orleans) or just near a flood prone waterway?? Glad to see all is O.K. at your shop anyway smilie_pokal.gif

napa river ...

combination of heavy rains and warm wind which melted the snow in the mountains and high tide which prevents the river to empty out in the bay/ocean as usual ...
cool.gif Andy
Trekkor
I went and took a peek.

Brandon was pushing mud down the driveway.

The water did not get into the shop. clap.gif

Brandon gets more water on the floor when he color sands wink.gif

As for tonight...Flood warnings for Napa river and small streams are in effect.

The Flooding in Napa is only limited to a small low lying area . All the water drains down from the mountains and hills and funnels to this low point and bottlenecks.
Plus, all the city storm drains feed the river.

The biggest problem is, a large number of homes and businesses are in the flood plain...Estimates of $60Mil have be given headbang.gif

This week will see up to 7 foot high tides as well ohmy.gif

KT

Trekkor
Bay Area news story

This is from SFgate.com

KT
jimtab
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 1 2006, 04:54 PM)
Bay Area news story

This is from SFgate.com

KT

Doesn't look too good for some of the houses and businesses...if only it would wash away that Copia abortion....
Howard
Glad to hear you're OK so far. This kind of crap never happened before we elected Bush! ph34r.gif
Randal

Thanks for the call Mark and the good news. You and Brandon rock!

It sounds like you guys did a great job waterproofing the building entrances.

Call me if you need anything for the next go around. I can ask my friend Fred Chopping to come over as well as he's got substantial flood experience. His Dad's office was between you and the river and they had to save it several times.

I’ll keep my eyes open for a small boat.
MartyYeoman
Mark, PM sent.
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.