Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think I finally got it right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
After the third try, I think we finally have it right. No smoke this time and very little oil usage.

It took about 2 weeks to work out the preoblems. Last weekend I replaced a main seal that was leaking.

The problem that concerned me the most was a persistant lean misfire that I couldn't tune out. The plug in hole 3 was white and the lean misfire stayed in the same hole if I moved the plugs around. I kept adding more fuel to the fueling MAP but it just didn't get rid of it. Finally, it occurred to me that I just wasn't getting enough fuel in that cylinder so I started down the list. The sock in the tank was fine. I had a new fuel pump so I put it in. Still misfired. I replaced the fuel filter. Still misfired. I tried the fuel lines connected the other way around. I replaced the injector. Voila, 20 minute drive and it's pretty well tuned.

THE STINKING INJECTOR HAD 1150 MILES ON IT.

Thank God I didn't melt one of Jake's pistons. He'd kill me ar15.gif

Tomorrow I get to fix an exhaust leak. I let the pup drive and he went over a speed bump too fast. Oh well it's a problem for next year. Happy NEW YEAR people! beer3.gif

Dave
TravisNeff
WooHoo, 3rd times a charm
Mark Henry
beerchug.gif
scottb
smilie_pokal.gif
Flat VW
Glad to read this, way to persevere.

John
J P Stein
I've said it before. Good old fashon stuborness can carry the day. clap.gif
cnavarro
Woohoo! smilie_pokal.gif
dinomium
Way to go Dave!
Happy New Year!! I really do hope to see more of you this coming year!!
Cheers
beer3.gif
Eric Taylor
Alright Dave smilie_pokal.gif Glad to see you finally got your motor running! You deserve it.
eric
914werke
smilie_pokal.gif
Well allllll righty then! laugh.gif
When do I get to take her for a spin?! w00t.gif
sportlicherFahrer
Congrats Dave! smilie_pokal.gif We should all do a "winter" meet up here. Maybe Tacoma?

hijacked.gif
rhodyguy
it's ABOUT TIME!! wink.gif GERRY, bumps across the road indicate the need to reduce your speed a bit. dry.gif drive on dave!! driving.gif

k
greenie
Excellent work Dave smilie_pokal.gif

You didn't give in or give up. The 1st time was fun, the 2nd probably not so much.. the 3rd alot of apprehension & fear no doubt..

Great JoB!

Greenie
DNHunt
The funny part about the speed bump was I drove across it by myself to pick him up. No problem. He wanted to drive home and with 2 in the car we hit. He really wasn't going too fast but, I wanted to plant the seed, so i told him he needed to slow down. Kind of mean, and he's really hanging his head, but I think this will save us some grief in the future.

Later today I'll see how bad it is. Somehow I need a little time before my stomach can handle confined spaces looking up at the bottom of a car in a garage that smells like oil and gas.barf.gif

I hope I didn't pull an exhaust stud. I hate messing with the exhaust on these cars. Why couldn't it be like Type 1's or 356's mad.gif

Dave
rhodyguy
show him an alignment reciept. that will make a believer out of him.

k
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Dec 31 2005, 06:29 PM)
I've said it before. Good old fashon stuborness can carry the day. clap.gif

agree.gif but I ran outta givemebeer.gif to get drunk.gif so I felt like I was dead horse.gif and headbang.gif figured it pain30.gif so I went & golfer.gif ...

but I might get another driving.gif

Good job Dave, Good luck & Happy New Year beer.gif

........b
seanery
Congrats Dave! clap.gif
Bleyseng
Now we have to have a get together as we both have running cars. BBQ at Daves! biggrin.gif
Gint
Congratulations Dave. You have to be happy to have that behind you.
redshift
WTG Dave! Happy New Year, it is!

M
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Gint @ Jan 1 2006, 10:45 AM)
Congratulations Dave. You have to be happy to have that behind you.

wavey.gif clap.gif agree.gif and cheers to Jake and Charles! beerchug.gif
crash914
Way to go Dave!!!

Now lets close the classic thread.

So do you want to rebuild a transmission yet?

have fun and keep the pedal planted!

Eddie914
Dave,

FABULOUS!

Third time's a charm!

Good job on sorting out the bad injector. What a PITA when "new" parts crap out.

You and Geoff are great inspiration with both of your teeners up and running.

I hope "Third time's a charm" work's out for me also. The 3.2 is at Sixnotfour's getting new valve guides.

Pretty soon all three of us should be up and running.

Time for a gathering!

Great way to start the new year with a running teener!

Happy new year!

Eddie

DNHunt
I really wanted to get the car up and going for Gerry's 16th birthday. He's been good about helping the old man out even though it's gotten pretty repetitive. When he gets his license it's up to the PCA driver's school for a couple of days to learn to handle the car then I'm gonna beat his ass on the AX course for as long as I can. I figure that will last about 4 or 5 times.

The engine starts to really come on the cam about 3500 rpms. Below 3000 it feels like a stock 2 liter. Below 2000 it doesn't want much load (no surprise there). Idle is kind of tricky as there is not much vacuum but what there is is steady. The engine revs like mad. It seems funny seeing the tach go past the numbers. 6600 rpms on the tach input from the MS is 7000 on the stock tach. I set the rev limiter at 6800 with a timing retard of 10 degress and a fuel cut. The shift light will probably be about 6500 on the MS. I'll start leaning out the fuel curve soon and it should rev even quicker. It's gonna be fun to drive.

Wednesday it's check the valves, change the oil, compression check and leakdown test for baseline #'s.

Eddie, good news about your engine coming together. We ought to come over for supervision when you do the install. Advice only costs the price of the beer. I've actually been known to fetch a tool now and then. There's nothing better than cheering on a guy that's working and drinking his beer for the emotional support. clap.gif

Dave
Bleyseng
Hopefully Eddie has somewhere warm to do the install as his car port is wide open and cold!
Maybe the shop on California???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.