Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 9eleben front end swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
When I do my front end swap do I need to change everything out or can I just swap the struts and hubs?
TravisNeff
Stuts and hubs will be fine, you may need to change ball joints to match (either early or late 914), drop in!
brp914
related question - if you go up to "a" calipers can you still use the 19mm m/c, or do you need to use a 911 m/c?
Leo Imperial
And calipers and while your in there you may as well... biggrin.gif
Leo Imperial
You can keep the stock master
Leo Imperial
But I think it is 17mm and the 911 is 19mm.
Allan
Will the 911 19mm torsion bars fit inside the stock 914 a-arms?

I to am going to 19mm m/c with A calipers...
Leo Imperial
No.
The splines are different.
Allan
Okay so I just need to plan on swapping everything. No prob. just need to have the drop link brackets welded on the 911 a-arms.
Leo Imperial
Exactly, but if you can put it in complete that is way faster. If the replacement front end is complete try to weld the tabs without taking it apart.

My understanding is that the 911 struts will give you a stiffer ride, so depending on what you are looking for you may decide to stay with the stock bars. I went that route and will upgrade in the future if needed. I also have a 21mm adjustable front bar, which guided my decision.
Allan
What I'm planning on ending up with is '79 SC front end with 19mm torsion bars, "A" calipers, 23mm welt adjustable sway bar, 19mm master cylinder w/Koni sports. The rear will get 180 lb springs with either Konis or Bilsteins and a stock sway bar.

Yee Haw!!!
Eric Taylor
Alan - Isn't your 6 already a 5 lug? Or are you upgrading?
eric
Allan
QUOTE (Eric Taylor @ Dec 31 2005, 06:13 PM)
Alan - Isn't your 6 already a 5 lug? Or are you upgrading?
eric

Running 4 lug right now.

It had 5 lug fuchs when I got it running adapters.
TravisNeff
Right on! If I was starting fresh I would do the 911 torsion bars at 19mm and a monster sway bar.

I look here and there for at least the struts/hubs/calipers and rotors but i never see them for less than $600 lately. I hear all the time about the deals on struts/brakes for about $250. but I never see them - even if they are the older 3" struts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.