Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my tire question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
day out up in bremerton. i run yokohama's, AS032's, 195/60 15. a street tire that works well on the roads and conditions where i live. i see lots of recom's re race tires and pressure. have any suggestions where i might start. has stock f&R bars, and koni reds set on the softest stop.

kevin
J P Stein
My advice, just go drive it.
When (or if ) the AX hook gets set, you can start worring about Rspec tiars.

You'll find that once the flag drops, you'll be busier than a one legged man in an ass kickin' contest.
Learn where to go before you start trying to go fast.
Take an instructor along the first few passes.

The course I set up this last weekend was fairly simple. The average speed was higher than normal, tho the top speed was not high. No 914-unfriendly tight spots wink.gif. ....I screwed up. The newbies (we had lots) could go fast enuff to get themselves in trouble..so they did. Off course excursions were at an all time high.

DNFs are not gud for new folks....you don't get a time.
I had 2, but they don't bother me no mo...as long as I get one gud one smile.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 25 2003, 09:18 AM)
have any suggestions where i might start. has stock f&R bars, and koni reds set on the softest stop.

if you're asking for recommendations on tire pressures, i suggest starting at the Max Cold Inflation Pressure molded on the side of the tires. if you find this is too harsh and twitchy, drop a little air between runs - probably not more than 1 psi at a time.

use some white liquid shoe polish so you can see how much of the sidewall you're using. if you see that you're just wearing a teeny narrow band in the center if the tire, drop pressure. if your tires are rolling right up into the sidewall, you need more air.

it is -always- easier to start with too much and bleed down to a lower number than to keep track of a air tank - this is hard enough for a two-driver car or one with a crew - if you don't have lots of helpers, i wouldn't even try...

you might (this is a very rough number mentioned to me by a Pirelli engineer a long time) expect to see pressure go up 10 per cent cold->hot. if you don't see a 10% increase, bleed some out. if they go up more than 10%, add air.

starting with MCIF and then bleeding down to that at the end of every run watching your shoe polish marker for when you're real close is as good a starting point as i've found. you may discover you need more than MCIF to prevent the tires rolling over.

obvious point: make sure your tire guage is in reasonable calibration. i got myself pretty lost at the (re-)start of my AX career on racing tires when i couldn't understand why i was using 40+ psi when everybody else was using 30 or less. turns out my old once-reliable tire guage was 10 psi off! it hit the dumpster and i got a new digital gage from Radio Shack for not a lot of money.
ChrisReale
Try 32psi and go from there. I have a tire pressure gauge that bleeds off air you can use.
Racer
While I am unfamiliar with the AS032's, I have run AO32's and A008rs. I recommend 30 cold all around, and bleed down to 30 once hot. If you don't like oversteer, start 30F 32R...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.