Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do with those tar mats?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
What do you do with those tar mats(?) on the floorboard that seemed to be melted down? Gettin the bucket ready to paint and I'm not to sure what to do with those mats. Do you remove them, paint them, and do you replace them if you do remove them. My only concern is what could be lurking under them if I don't remove and check it out.
A little advice please.
Thanks
TravisNeff
They do quiet things down inside the cabin quite a bit. They also can hid rust too. To get rid of it a heat gun is your friend. Makes quick work with a putty knife.
Aaron Cox
heat gun and a scraper.... bill grimstead came over and he had it all out in 30 minutes.....

fix the rust that lies beneath....... and then carpet it
Aaron Cox
the member known as grimstead in action....with weapon of choice
user posted image
computers4kids
Looks like way to much fun. I'll have to do a little brainstorming on finding a "heat gun" replacement to get that stuff off--I really don't have a torch or anything like it. Great picture, thanks guys.
Mark
TravisNeff
Harbor freight has those guns for like $15 bucks. Mine liasted for 1.5 hours though. Also look at home depot - super duty milwaukee guns only run about $50.00 worth it's weight in gold on a project like that.
r_towle
get it off, there is rust under there...

clean it, piant it, re-apply either original tar mats or dynamat.

Rich
computers4kids
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Dec 31 2005, 08:44 PM)
Harbor freight has those guns for like $15 bucks. Mine liasted for 1.5 hours though. Also look at home depot - super duty milwaukee guns only run about $50.00 worth it's weight in gold on a project like that.

Good old Harbor Freight...I'll check it out. Both places are here in Visalia.
If not, a gallon of gas and a match should warm it up! LOL
campbellcj
Get that crap off! Then cleanup/repair any rust that you find, seal against further damage (POR-15 or whatever) and if you are so inclined, add new sound deadening and/or carpet.

On my current car it really was not a terrible job at all to remove floor tar and it shed quite a few pounds.
Lou W
I used a propane torch on mine, just char it a little bit and scrape. It was real easy. smile.gif
rhodyguy
i got the one from sears. i like the return policy and had a gift certificate. sears should be having some big time sales right now.

k
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Lou W @ Jan 1 2006, 03:30 AM)
I used a propane torch on mine, just char it a little bit and scrape. It was real easy. smile.gif

agree.gif little butane torch makes it go real fast!
norustscott
ok, heat will work....however, I removed mine while the car was just about frozen. cold, the board was brittle and cracked and chip up. I used an air hammer with a blunted chisle...a lot less tar mess as well. BTW I kept all of the tar board an wieghed it...almost 12lbs...

This probably won't help thos in the south..
jd74914
QUOTE (computers4kids @ Dec 31 2005, 11:40 PM)
Looks like way to much fun. I'll have to do a little brainstorming on finding a "heat gun" replacement to get that stuff off--I really don't have a torch or anything like it. Great picture, thanks guys.
Mark

hair blow dryer all the way wink.gif
JB 914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 31 2005, 09:54 PM)
get it off, there is rust under there...

clean it, piant it, re-apply either original tar mats or dynamat.

Rich

agree.gif

There is rust. Best to get it now. I'm probably gonna dynamat mine once i get it painted.
TINCAN914
Recently completed mine. It took a few hours to get mine off. Surface rust, cup brush and it was cleaned and por15.
One word of advice... Watch your hands.. 5 stiches and a split finger.. Hurts, but the doc tells me I will play the violin again.. biggrin.gif
SUSPENDED
I've used dry ice and an arsenal of chisels, scapers. works great, no mess, and no stink.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.