Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Land Sharks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
I am looking for a daily driver with AC and automatic transmission (and I want it to be Porsche.) I posted a question last week about people's experiences with 968s and 986s (Boxsters). Had several suggestions that I too consider a 928.

So, for my reading on the web they appear to be:

1. Powerful

2. Roomy

3. Good traveling cars

4. Fairly affordable to purchase

So, what else do I need to know?

Again, thanks for your input.
marks914
I sold mine this summer, too expensive to keep up. It seems like you need a special tool to do anything, other than that, it was a great car. The faster you drive, the better it rides.
Mark
DNHunt
I know Al Blose got one and he never posts here anymore. Watchout, a 928 may be a tempting mistress.

Dave
jim912928
I love my 928. I find it no more expensive to maintain then my 911. It's super smooth, fast (especially from say 40 on up). Thing is you have to drive them, find one that hasn't had the electrical hacked around with...these cars have alot of electronics in them and have miles of wires. The engines are rock solid and run forever (they never really work hard). The weisach rear end is a work of art and really makes this thing handle unbelievably well (51-49 weight distribution I believe).

Key thing, like the 944's and 968's, is to perform regular maintenance per factory recommendations on the timing belt and water pump. The 32V engines and euro 16V engines are interference engines. If you get a 16V US version they are non-interference, thus if the timing belt snaps you are just stranded. But these cars, if maintained like any other car, will go forever. I've put about 60k miles on mine in the past 4-5 years and have never been stranded. Just performed regular tune up stuff (oik, filters, plugs) and a timing belt/water pump change. Had the alternator rebuilt once for 160 bucks.

These cars are cruisers...I drive back and forth from Milwaukee WI to South Bend IN every weekend and it's like I've only been in the car for a few minutes..it is that comfortable. Thing you have to watch out for is the speed creeps up on you. If you are not paying attention you'll be in triple digits before you know it (and don't go by the engine sound cause it isn't screaming at 100!). Remember, these are 160mph cars (oh, and you can have your sunroof open and still hear the music over 100!).

All I know is I will never give mine up (oh, and my wife likes it the most out of all my porsches).

To get the skinny on 928's go to:

http://forums.rennlist.com go to the water cooled are then choose 928's. That board is as active for 928's as this is for 914's.

Another plus of 928's..they were extremely expensive in their day (last year 95 models had a 150k dollar sticker price) but they are super bargains now. I picked up my 83 with 62K miles on it for $6000.

Just be leary about one with extremely low miles or one that has had alot of patching on the electrical.

Jim
jim912928
Also, Not many rust issues to worry about because they are mostly aluminum...but look at the rear quarter area where the side glass comes to a point in the back (quarters are steel). The cars with the "s" spoiler have a tendency to rust back there if the owners don't keep the drain area on the spoilers clean and clear. Also open up the battery box area (under the spare tire). Since you are looking at automatics I'd shy away from the early cars (78-82 I think). They had a 3-speed and not as quick. The 83+ have a mercedes benz (internals) 4-speed auto. If you test drive a 4-speed auto understand that at a dead stop they start out in 2nd gear. So it will feel slow to you. Porsche did this because it's a cruiser and they wanted the smoothest starts to speed. To kick in first gear you either have to push the accelerator to the floor (hits a kick down switch) or manually shift it (must put it in the lowest gear from a stop).

If you floor it...hold on for dear life!

Jim
Flat VW
QUOTE (jim912928 @ Jan 1 2006, 07:08 AM)
If you test drive a 4-speed auto understand that at a dead stop they start out in 2nd gear.  So it will feel slow to you.  

Not to a 914 pilot! lol2.gif

Greg, as you may or may not remember Jim's pal, Matt, has one and he and his father do almost all their own work.

Matt does bemoan the gas usage a little bit, but he is a youngster and probably a little hard on the throttle. burnout.gif

I have heard 9-11 mpg estimates from him, which sure sounds low to me,YMMV.

IMO this is a horse of completely another color relative to a 968 or even the Boxster, a very refined car with parts prices to match.

I have another pal, Terry (40 years old or so), who has one here in town that is very fine.

He shopped for about eighteen months till he found the right car and has amassed much knowledge and experience with these cars.

I will be happy to put you in touch with him if you so wish,

John wavey.gif

P.S. Happy New Year, Laurie and I are about to slip out for a little drive right now.

We are first gonna cruise by Phoenix College and see if Norte Dame's marching band is practicing there again today. She had bumped into them on the football field as she was jogging at the track there on Friday. rock_band.gif

vertigo
Jim covers it pretty well. I have 2 928's '81 and '86.5 both autos and love 'em both. Parts are redily available and if you do your own work not terribly expensive. As a daily driver? I have heard have another car ready. That is why I got the 914! One issue if looking to buy also (auto) is the later cars seem to let the torque tube creep/bind on the flex plate. Periodic checking needs be done (general maintenance) If not then can loose motor.
Katmanken
Frienf of mine bought one after his wife died.

He loved the car but said he had to be very careful with the go pedal and was worried about tickets. He frequently found himself doing 90-100 on the beltway and thinking he was doing 55......

Drove it a lot with the cruise control on to save his license... blink.gif

Ken
vortrex
when I got my 928GT the 914 was parked for good, never to be driven again. just get a PPI from someone who knows them and you will be fine. I put I think 18k miles on mine (in 1 year of daily driving) before I sold it and never had a problem. keep in mind the S4 and GT cars were something like $80k new, back in the late 80's to early 90's! a real supercar for the day. I would suggest talking to devek about getting of the cars they sell (www.devek.net).
Porsche Rescue
I have owned 5 of them, the first an '84 in '91 (lost my ass in depreciation). I agree with everything in the above posts.
My .02---------DON'T buy a project. They have depreciated more than any Porsche except the 944 so you get a lot of bang for the buck. Find a well documented, one or two owner car with relatively low miles. There are lots out there with under 100K. I sold a very nice 2-owner '81 with 82K miles 2 years ago for $6000. I wanted to buy my current '84 which had only 37K miles. Paid $11000 which was a bit high but I wanted the car.
You will get about 12-15 mpg city but can do better than 20 on a freeway cruise at 70 mph. You will have decent AC (not great in early models), cruise control, power seats and windows and other creature comforts. Sunroof so small it should be called a sun "slit". People think my 22 year-old daily driver is a near new car. I love 928's. Anybody got a line on a nice GTS with low miles at a reasobable price?
boxstr
I like this idea of a 928 pickup.
CCLIN2006
TravisNeff
there is a coupe of late model 928's for sale locally!
scotty b
Jim is right on smilie_pokal.gif and to follow up on his wiring comment, I have werked on 2 now that had a problem with the battery dying when they sat for more than a week, we traced both back to what we believe to be the alarm system, but unfortunately you can't just unhook it. Oh yeah the gas milage is um..... idea.gif LOUSY biggrin.gif but so much fun you don't care. Gets about the same as my 86 suburban, and you can't tow with a 928 wacko.gif but then again my suburban just isn't that much fun to drive driving.gif
Aaron Cox
get a 928 GTS
user posted image
happy11.gif
Porsche Rescue
Nice low-mile GTS's ('93-'95) still go for $30K and up, but they are the best and last of the breed.
rick 918-S
Not that fast. Like neck snapping fast.... But they corner like crazy, and the ride and creature comforts are top shelf. And if you like top end speed.... aktion035.gif driving.gif

And besides... they make a great donor car... assimilate.gif happy11.gif

I did some consulting on this car.

jim912928
Here is a link to a 1977 Car and Driver writeup:

http://members.rennlist.com/porken/CarAndD...verJune1977.pdf

enjoy!
TravisNeff
Here is a local 1991 928 with 79K miles, looks great, higher on the price scale though.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ccadams/
alpha434
Hey, If your REALLY REALLY interested, then you should know about the weisach rear axle. Uber sexy. It's articulated to adjust toe in/toe out through the corners. The beast has a VERY firm grip on the corners. Like a boxster. Then the cockpit is a work of art. It's kinda my dream car... Unless i could have a 959. wink.gif
Crazyhippy
QUOTE (scotty b @ Jan 1 2006, 09:37 AM)
Gets about the same as my 86 suburban, and you can't tow with a 928 wacko.gif but then again my suburban just isn't that much fun to drive driving.gif

They offered trailer hitch optionally, and the car is rated to tow like 7K lbs (w/ trailer brakes) clap.gif

Great cars all the way around. And you can always bitch about the new vettes copying "your" design biggrin.gif

BJH
Joe Ricard
As always buy the best car you can for the price you can afford. if the decision is between two cars get the one that is newer. Every year has something refined a little more. 87 and up would be my choice if it ever comes down to it. I miss my 78 5 speed Damn that car was great on the highway.
but not worth a shit for my new passion. Racing in the cones. mueba.gif
They do make great speedway cars for DE events. 86.5 was a great year as itwas the old body style with S4 everything else. 89 GT was "THE" best in my opinion.

There is no such thing as a fixer upper for a 928. if it needs fixing pass it by. there is another car for sale everyday. I agree going with Devek to help find a car, they know all the good ones and have a real fast shop car. Like 200 MPH plus no shit for real bad ass car.
ablose58
I love mine smilie_pokal.gif So far no major problems just turned 77,000 And Dave ,yes it is a very tempting mistress but I still miss driving kermit alot but he'll be out of storage very soon driving.gif burnout.gif w00t.gif
Maltese Falcon
a good source for 928 Qs and As would be Jim Bailey of 928 International. He hangs out at the 928 section of the Rennlist. Might also be over at SoCal928 forums. Keep in mind that these required timely maintenance, so I would want service records. The engine blocks are basically throw away items when they reach max use.
Other than that , the 928 owners are "Tight knit" like us, and these cars are still a great Porsche for the money.
Marty
neo914-6
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Jan 1 2006, 10:34 PM)
a good source for 928 Qs and As would be Jim Bailey of 928 International. He hangs out at the 928 section of the Rennlist. Might also be over at SoCal928 forums. Keep in mind that these required timely maintenance, so I would want service records. The engine blocks are basically throw away items when they reach max use.
Other than that , the 928 owners are "Tight knit" like us, and these cars are still a great Porsche for the money.
Marty

They have a WIDE range of prices/condition on the market...

Marty when are you going to post:
1974 914cup 2.0 Father & Son buildup in progress
biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
Felix, there is some work in progress, see the thread :
What to do with an old Bursch (12-23-05). I'm taking lots of pix, but most of them are like all the other restos here !
PM me with your email addy , I've got some stuff for you !
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.