Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dad finally gets his 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goberserk
This is how the story goes: Soon after our dad graduated college (1978) he had the opportunity to buy a 914. His dad, however, talked him out of it; saying something about how it wasn't practical, yada, yada, yada. Well as we were growing up, whenever he saw a 914 he would tell us the story (again). "Yeah, dad, you already told us that one."

Well, dad turns 50 this January so my brother and I thought it would be a cool idea to get him a 914. After a little research it became clear that we'd need some time to work on the car to get it ready. We wanted to give him a car, not a project.

We found what we thought was a pretty decent white one in NC (where my brother works). His work is semi-seasonal so he was able to take a couple months off and live with me in Maryland so we could work on the car. We were able to land a garage for free for a couple months to do the work. It worked out that we would be able to have the car ready for Christmas. We would have waited until his birthday but we both have to go back to work this week.

We started right at the begining of November, but had a puase for 10 days while my brother went out west for Thanksgiving. Things went pretty smoothly barring some missing parts, parts shipped to the wrong place, and the whole doing-this-for-the-first-time thing. We didn't actually get her done for Christmas - but the day after. We were going to go up to New Hampshire (where the folks live) to present the car. But we were working pretty hard core the last week and we didn't make it up. So the parents came down and we did it here.

Anyway, what follows directly is a video of us giving the car to dad. I'm the shorter son, in the blue sweatshirt, Jake. And my brother Adam, is the taller guy in the hat. His ID on the forum is Adammtb.
user posted image
Video of giving 914 to Dad

I'll post some pictures of the restoration directly on the forum here, but you can find all of the pictures here:
Photos of 914 Restoratoin
As it worked out, they're in roughly reverse chronological order at Photobucket.

I just wanted to thank a few folks before I put the pictures up. Obviously, thanks to our Dad for being so cool, the Forum, Josh (on the forum here, kept us from blowing ourselves up), Peek Performance, Restoration Design, and EBS Racing. Thanks for all your help!
goberserk
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention some of the things we did to the car. As for the engine: It was originally a 1.7 and had 34 ICTs when we bought it. We rebuilt the engine. New seals, bearings, conrods, crank, 1.8 pistons and cylinders, cam, lifters, valve guides, had the valve seats machined, head machined to accept 1.8s. We kept the ICTs but rebuilt them. We also completely redid the fuel system. When we took the tank out of the car, it sounded like a maraca - yeah, a bit rusty. So we had a local radiator shop rebuild it for us. We also got a new fuel pump, filter and ran a new fuel line. We kept our stock heat exchangers, but welded the outer portion back the the pipe becuase it had come loose. The car also had an aftermarket exhaust, we think it is the Monza, it's super loud. We also installed new plugs and wires, new coil, new distributer cap and a 5800 rev limit rotor.

As far as the body is concerned. There as the standard hell hole rust. There was also a little rust on the doors, rear trunk, under the fuel tank, under the pedal assy, and in the vents behind the door handles. We replaced the rear floorpans, inner and outer firewalls, the right jack post and cover, repaired sections of the right long, we replaced the battery tray and engine shelf and rebuilt the right engine mount. Was also had to weld in new jack donuts, engine lid hinge bracket, and a trunk hinge bracket. We POR15ed all the new metal.

We also had to do random things like replacing the front shocks, ball joints, shifter bushings and whatever else I forgot.

OK!! onto the pictures
rick 918-S
Great story! That's the best! Be sure he finds us!
jet1
NICE WORK! smilie_pokal.gif
goberserk
Here are some pics from right after we bought the car.
Engine Bay
user posted image
Rear
user posted image
Under Rear
user posted image
Front 3/4
user posted image
Interior
user posted image
Damage on Hood
user posted image
Trunk Rust
user posted image
Floorpan Rust
user posted image
Firewall Disaster
user posted image
Firewall Disaster2
user posted image
goberserk
Here are some random shots of the shop
user posted image
Welding Rocks!
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
It's cold in Maryland in the Winter
user posted image
All the stuff we welded
user posted image
The Wall
user posted image
Chemicals and a Fridge is all you need
user posted image
goberserk
Here are some shots of the car dis-assembled
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

The new rear firewall
user posted image

user posted image

Repaired Jack post
user posted image

Repairing the Hood
user posted image

Repaired Long and Inner wheelhouse
user posted image

Repaired Hell Hole, new frame parts, new inner wheelhouse, repaired engine mount, new engine shelf
user posted image
goberserk
POR 15

user posted image

user posted image

Under the pedals
user posted image

user posted image

Getting ready for paint
user posted image

Painted Engine Bay
user posted image

user posted image
goberserk
Engine Parts

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
goberserk
Engine Assembly

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
goberserk
Engine Installation

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
goberserk
Giving the Car to Dad

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
goberserk
Fired up for the first time, breaking in the cam.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

goberserk
Yeah, it's a Porsche

user posted image
736conver
clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

Awesome
bondo
Holy crap! you guys are fast and do excellent work!

Do you make house calls? biggrin.gif
StratPlayer
Great story, great job, DAD should be very proud. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Katmanken
Great Job! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Takes most people years and years to get a teener to that point....

It isn't too late to adopt you and yer brother is it? happy11.gif

Ken
jim912928
So, how happy is dad now?....Great work by the way and what a great thought!
TravisNeff
Great story and great job!
Flat VW
very kuhl,

fantastic gift, piratenanner.gif

John
tat2dphreak
Great story and great job!

agree.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
Gint
That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen done. Nice work. Your dad is a lucky man to have you both.
StratPlayer
Never seen a key slot placed here before,,,
TINCAN914
Hey you guy's, that is an awesome gift for your father... Very cool!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
goberserk
QUOTE (StratPlayer @ Jan 1 2006, 02:51 PM)

Interesting observation. That was there when we got it. But it doesn't actually do anything. I have no idea why it's there. I guess we should have removed it and filled in the hole, but we didn't even think about it.
JeffBowlsby
Yeah baby...that what this is all about, sharing the love. A great story, a great inspiration to us all. I cannot imagine anyone prouder than your dad must be.

smilie_pokal.gif
lincoln
looks like what i used to see back in the 80s - either is or was an old type alarm lock (armed/off)

usually saw em more on the fender areas but by door would make it close at hand

if you look at the back it should have what looks like electrical attachment areas where the wiring used to hook up
tho thats really just my best guess
joeav8tor
great story, and you guys did a great job...a lot of hard work...your dad is lucky to have both of you...and judging by your determination, you guys feel lucky to have him.
Joe
TJB/914
goberserk & family

Congratulations, what a wonderful story. Your Dad must be so proud of his boys and will forever think of you ever time he looks at his 914. Great story & pictures.

Tom
VegasRacer
Ausgezeichnet clap.gif
ThinAir
I fell in love with 914's in 1979 and it took me until 1990 to get my first one. I used to tell the same kind of stories about wishing I could find one so I know exactly how your Dad felt. I'd say that his smile is about 10 times larger than his face will allow.

You two are a pair of very special sons. Every father should be blessed with kids like you!

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Oh, yeah - you do really good work too! You had quite a restoration job ahead of you when you started. I could hardly believe the firewall rust in those photos. Lots of other folks would have just run away. Congratulations on having the fortitude to stick it out!
EdwardBlume
Very cool. Thanks for sharing!
mikelsr
Congrats to your Dad and he has great taste in Sons! You both did an outstanding job!

QUOTE (lincoln @ Jan 1 2006, 04:12 PM)
looks like what i used to see back in the 80s -  either is or was an old type alarm lock (armed/off)

usually saw em more on the fender areas but by door would make it close at hand

if you look at the back it should have what looks like electrical attachment areas where the wiring used to hook up
tho thats really just my best guess

On the key slot. My '71 Charger had one for the alarm (mine was on the front fender in front of the door) and that is what I thought you had when I saw it.

Again thanks for the story and your father is a lucky man!
Maltese Falcon
great resto project, and a wonderful Bday present for Dad !
The pictures are a good incentive for anyone needing to"Get it done !"
Good fabrication and thx. for sharing the pix biggrin.gif
Marty
blitZ
Way to go, that looks like one happy man.
robby750
That is about the coolest thread I have ever read here. This is what a Father/Son relationship is all about. Good job guys!
Dead Air
QUOTE (robby750 @ Jan 2 2006, 04:48 PM)
That is about the coolest thread I have ever read here. This is what a Father/Son relationship is all about. Good job guys!

[QUOTE]
agree.gif

One of the best threads I've ever seen!! beer.gif

Berserker is the son with a beard?
adammtb
hey guys. I'm the brother of gobeserk, and yes I have a beard. Our dad has a beard but short hair and is shorter than both of us...I am the tall one with beard and long hair. I'm glad y'all think we did a good job. It was a lot of work. The whole last week we barely slept at all...maybe 3 or 4 hours for every 40-50 awake.

I had a great time so if anyone wants help working on their car look me up..I am in South Florida until April and then in Western North Carolina after that. Later

Adam
crash914
Wow great job guys...nice story...

its funny...I just moved to the columbia area from New Hampshire...brought my 914 with me...I do know quite a few of the 914 crew up in NH,,,,some of them are here on the board....

If I had known, I would have offered the use of my garage...I do still have lots of various parts, let me know if you guys need anything...herb
Mueller
that was way too cool smilie_pokal.gif boldblue.gif clap.gif pray.gif

way to go !!!!!
sk8kat1
QUOTE (goberserk @ Jan 1 2006, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (StratPlayer @ Jan 1 2006, 02:51 PM)

Interesting observation. That was there when we got it. But it doesn't actually do anything. I have no idea why it's there. I guess we should have removed it and filled in the hole, but we didn't even think about it.

maybe it was an old skool alarm or something?!... confused24.gif

bad ass works boys !! smilie_pokal.gif
JmuRiz
Awesome job!
I did something similar with my dad, he used to have an old Ducati in highschool so last fathers day I surprised him by buying one just like it as a restoration project for us:
Then again we are still waiting to do the restore, neither of us have space to do the resto yet, but we will.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.