Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stutter at 3200 rpm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alpha434
S.O.S.

My 75 1.8L has developed a stutter at the 3200 rpm range. WTF?!? It goes away at higher rpm's and doesn't appear until right about 3200. And whats worse still is that it's not always there at all. I drove around all last night without feeling it. It's like the engine is shutting off and on, and if you get stuck trying to accelerate at 3200, the car jolts badly. Please Help. sad.gif
alpha434
Someone had better answer this. None of my local guys did either. I'm just going to go to some filthy bus forum. Not that buses are filthy- just that i don't have one.

HELP DAMNIT!!! I know your looking!
alpha434
OK sorry. Buses are cool. I'm just paniced at the possibility that nobody knows what wrong.
Aaron Cox
FI or Carbs?

what ignition?
alpha434
F.I. L Jet. The engine is bone stock...
alpha434
Come on guys....
brant
bump...

I say do the full tune up first and then see whats left.
I'm still guessing its an ignition issue.
brant
alpha434
i just replaced sparklers and the coil. might need to snag a new distributer cap and redoe timing. I was just hoping that someone had seen this before.
MoveQik
Mine did the exact same thing at 2800-3000 RPMS a few months ago. A new distributer cap fixed it. I have a 75 1.8 as well. When I told the mechanic that my tach would bounce around he went straight to the distributer. The car hasn't so much as hiccuped since.
Gint
Sorry Chris, but I know squat about L-Jet.
MoveQik
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Jan 1 2006, 01:51 PM)
Mine did the exact same thing at 2800-3000 RPMS a few months ago. A new distributer cap fixed it. I have a 75 1.8 as well. When I told the mechanic that my tach would bounce around he went straight to the distributer. The car hasn't so much as hiccuped since.

Check that...they put in a whole new distributer.
TimAZ
See if you can wiggle the distributor shaft...if so you need to have someone replace it or replace the bushings...

Timaz
bd1308
L-jet also has a TPS...

i've only had L-jet for four days, but its remarkable how well it works.

good point with the dizzy though, as the injection pulses are derived from the spark pulses.....

b
MoveQik
QUOTE (TimAZ @ Jan 1 2006, 02:44 PM)
See if you can wiggle the distributor shaft...if so you need to have someone replace it or replace the bushings...

Timaz

That is what mine did...wiggled a lot.
Teknon
QUOTE (Gint @ Jan 1 2006, 04:13 PM)
Sorry Chris, but I know squat about L-Jet.

Geeze Mike, I thought you knew everything on these cars. I'm sad I found this thread.
ohmy.gif
Chris, Mine is a DJet and it was doing that last week coming back from Winter Park. Then it backfired so loud I thought it threw the exhaust off. Seems some of the coil and dizzy wires were over a spark plug wire. When I moved it away everything went back to normal. burnout.gif

There probably right about ignition.
r_towle
The first thing I would do is check to make sure your vacuum canister on the dizzy still works....

Take the vacuum line off the intake...with the dizzy cap open, suck on the line, or pull a vacuum with a might vac hand pump...

You should be able to move the advance plates in the dizzy.

If they move, check to see if they stick, a 30 year old set of advance plates do need to be re-greased more than once in a lifetime...

I took my dizzy out, took apart the dizzy, cleaned the plates, re-greased with some new grease...re-assembled...

No more stuttering...

Think about it...if the plate gets jammed up in a certain position due to heat, and grease that acts more like glue at this age...it creates strange issues....

It is part of the normal tune up...a few drops of oil in the top of the dizzy (when was the last time you did that...)

The dizzy, valves, and the throttle position switch would be the main culprits of a stutter at a specific rpm.

It could also be the flapper valve is stuck in a specific position, or jamming in that spot,,,so check to make sure it moves freely and there are no leaves etc in there.

Rich
alpha434
HA! I knew it! You guys knew and were just making me wait it out. I take ein nap and bam! Here it is! Chudesnya! Wonderful! It's too dark to work on it tonight, so i'll pull one the distributer out tommorow. Make someone help me... Thanks guys!!!!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Trekkor
First thing I would do is pull one of the spark plugs, stick a chopstick down there and... chairfall.gif

KT

I think it's a vacuum hose leak issue.

alpha434
bump......

made new bushings today from oil impregnated brass. Hi-qual. Test installed a pair into a 356 distributer that i needed to do anyway. Works good. There'll be enough garage space to do mine tomorrow... ph34r.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.