Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New thoughts for '06
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
Ok, Chris's thread and other have got me thinking....

I am running 23mm torsion bars and a large sway bar...big springs in the rear and the car is slammed...

From Chris's thread...I just realized that I used up all my shock travel. What ways are there to regain some travel? raise the shock towers? lower the bottom mounting point? others? Any one make a bolt on kit?

Ok, on the front...

is there any advantage to going with a coil over set up? anyone make them?
same question on shock travel....now that I am very low...how can I increase my shock travel....I don' t know if I am bottoming out..

I guess the saving grace is that my suspension is so stiff, there is not much travel...I can jump up and down on any corner and it only moves around 1/4 inch...hmmmm this can by why I spin so much... I am guessing that I am loading up one corner, running out of travel and then the chassis can't take any more....

Looking for some possible solutions....
GTPatrick
Dude, for a possible solution to your problem. Try checking out some of the Pontiac Fiero websites , Yahoo group - Fiero Racing List, Pontiac Fiero Webring, FieroNews, Pennocks Fiero Forum, and etc. . beerchug.gif

Being a Fiero freak , I have 2 1/2 of them. aktion035.gif Some of the problems in each camp can be solved by checking out the other camp. w00t.gif

I'm the FNG around here and am still looking for a 914 to be used for auto-X and PCA DE events. ph34r.gif

TimT
Have you already removed the bump stops? If not they can be cut down or eliminated. If you've already gone that route. You can get shorter shocks. and the front strut insert and front strut can be shortened also. Its easier to send the struts to Koni (Truechoice) or Bilstien to be modified, that to raise the upper shock mounts
alpha434
If you've got balls, you can do a five link conversion. A couple guys have them, and I might do one this summes. Is it the front or rear that your having problems with? The convert is only good for the rear...
brant
custom shorter shocks is a bolt in.
brant
race914
For the front setup, Bilstein makes the RSR coilovers with raised spindles to help keep the geometry correct for a lowered car.

crash914
Some cool ideas....I am not sure what I have..everything came with the car.

I do have yellow koni's all around. got to look for bump stops. I think that they are all gone.

I have heard about raised spindles...this might be an option.

I was just wondering if anyone went to the coil over option in the front. It seems easier than messing around with custom or scarce torsion bars...herb
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (crash914 @ Jan 2 2006, 11:10 AM)

I do have yellow koni's all around. got to look for bump stops. I think that they are all gone.

I was just wondering if anyone went to the coil over option in the front. It seems easier than messing around with custom or scarce torsion bars...herb

takes mucho reinforcing to run camberboxes and coils up front....

do a seacrh and you should see some install pics...

basically - the shock tower of the car wasnt designed for a coil spring.... so you have to make it handle that load now
Aaron Cox
aircooledclassics.biz has some coilover front setups for 400

crash914
thanks Aaron...

Damn search button....

More than enough information there..

ok, only one more to 600 posts...
xitspd
QUOTE (race914 @ Jan 1 2006, 01:25 PM)
For the front setup, Bilstein makes the RSR coilovers with raised spindles to help keep the geometry correct for a lowered car.

I am running the Bil RSR struts on my car and I believe it makes a huge difference.

Dan
brant
QUOTE (crash914 @ Jan 2 2006, 11:10 AM)

I do have yellow koni's all around.  got to look for bump stops.  I think that they are all gone.

I was just wondering if anyone went to the coil over option in the front.  It seems easier than messing around with custom or scarce torsion bars...herb

some will disagree...
but here is my opinion:

front coil overs don't really make the suspension better.
all they do is make it so that its easier to change spring rates.

if you find that your changing your torsion bars more than 3-4 times a year....
or changing them out for every different track you go to...

then fine.. you might need coil overs.

most people do not change torsion bars (spring rates) very often.

The other reason I can think of for doing it is because you need a rate that is so high that you can't get a torsion bar that strong... such as 350lbs or more.

reasons for not doing it include:
-usually automatically bumps you into the most modified class
-cost money
-actually increases the unsprung weight some, since torsion bars do a very good job of getting their weight low and connected to the chassis in such a way as to need very little energy applied for their range of motion.

brant
Aaron Cox
coil springs offer rates in as low as 10lb increments....

your stuck with 3 torsion bar sizes.... 21 22 23....

twystd1 had the idea to run a conjuction of both... ie a small tuneable helper spring to fine tune...

21mm t abr + 50lb spring...etc.....

adjustability/tuneability and ease of spring changes is the name of the game.....
brant
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 2 2006, 01:37 PM)
coil springs offer rates in as low as 10lb increments....

your stuck with 3 torsion bar sizes.... 21 22 23....

twystd1 had the idea to run a conjuction of both... ie a small tuneable helper spring to fine tune...

21mm t abr + 50lb spring...etc.....

adjustability/tuneability and ease of spring changes is the name of the game.....

my butt isn't sensitive enough to feel the difference in less than 50lb increments...
yes you can fine tune more and use smaller increments.

But....
roll bars can help you achieve much of the same fine tuning.
and to run both would really double the weight.

I thought unsprung weight was the name of ALL games.

probably need to buy a $2,000 set of wheels now to offset that weight gain.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.