Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK to remove heat exchanger?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
Ok, I've had really bad exhaust leaks since I bought the car. After plugging the open head ports it was easy to tell I had some leaks at the exhaust to head gaskets. I also noticed exhaust coming out of one heat exchanger. (Thankfully my heater stuff isn't connected) After removal I found one copper gasket was out of position and all chewed up, obvious leak. I was missing a stud on the other side and had a good leak there too.

But my main question is this, the side that had exhaust coming out of the heat exchanger had one pipe that was more flexible than it should be. I figure it's either cracked/rusted/hole. Eventually I want to get SS heat exchangers, but that isn't in the budget right now. So I'd like to cut off the heat exchanger and see if I can weld up the problem pipe. Now, is it okay to run without heat exchangers? Or do they also act as heat shields to prevent fires. (Cause lets face it, she is a leaker). I guess I can try to cut the shields off in a way I can at least tac weld them back on, but I would prefer not to.

I've had the car for 4 months now, and this is the last thing to button up so I can get past the visual inspection and get my plates. I just want her on the road! burnout.gif

Suggestions?
alpha434
Yeah. Take em off. None of the racers use them. Sometimes, for fun, i cruise around with just the j-pipes. But that's not good for performance...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.