Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flowmaster on a 914??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I'm going the CSOB route on my dads exhaust by using a unit from an X-19 as a starting point. What I'm wondering, has anyone put a Flowmaster, Dynomax etc. muffler on a 914 and how does it sound/perform. My concern is 1 - it will sound like stromberg.gif (doubt it though) 2-it is chamberd to large for a small displacement engine and performance will be lost. I'm trying for something different and cheap. ( flowmasters and the like go for about $50.00 and the X-19 ex. was on a car we junked at werk) Good solid bends on the X-19 BTW, and it routes very similar to a 914 too ph34r.gif
scotty b
Oh yeah, I don't want something very loud, just a mellow sound like the 60 series flowmaster not the 40.
jim_hoyland
Do a search. Marty has commented on this several times..
r_towle
I got the cheap one from the FLAPS...

25 bucks and it sounded great.

No restriction issues...its built for a v8, so its cool.

Rich
scotty b
huh.gif O.K. so after being reminded of thise "search" option as some of you call it, I found several have done this with success and I also found this sexy pic. Every once in a while this site is actually usefull laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (scotty b @ Jan 1 2006, 04:35 PM)
huh.gif O.K. so after being reminded of thise "search" option as some of you call it, I found several have done this with success and I also found this sexy pic. Every once in a while this site is actually usefull laugh.gif

i planned to duplicate that exact setup....

but then got a triad.....

and now a header....
r_towle
Which muffler is that?
Aaron Cox
thats a flowmaster crossflow for a 90's camaro.....

dynomax has a very simialr one....

remember...it needs to fit between the heat exchangers...... (pretty small distance to fit a muffler and 2 90 bends...)
jim_hoyland
Here is the reference I had regarding the dynomax;
"If the rest of the system is in good shape, have a local muffler shop cut the Walker off and get a dynomax ultraflow/ 2.25" ID. These are T304SS, non baffled design, good sound control and not expensive like Borla etc. Proll'y $145.00. If you ceramic coat the bursch it should go 7 to 10 years.
There are other options, but you lose heat/defrost with most."
ThinAir
My son Mike has a Flowmaster on his 73. It hasn't run for a couple of years since the accident that totaled it, but I recall that it sounded very nice and mellow without being too loud.
Andyrew
I suggest a magnaflow.. They sound awesome. Also I remember that Jake uses them on his dyno runs as well.

Sound crazy on my v8.. and I bet they sound just as good on a 4.
blitZ
I put a Dynomax on my Pathfinder last year, works great. I did a lot of research prior, the general consensus regarding these aftermarket mufflers is Flowmasters are noisey and don't flow the best. Dynomax and Magnaflow produce less noise and more flow.

Dynomax
Brett W
I ran three chamber on my 2056 and it was really nice. Very quiet. The intake was louder than the exhaust on my car. When I wrecked the 914 I put the muffler on the Cervix and it was also very quiet. The car was hardly noticeable at idle and light throttle cruising. My straight cut cam gears were much louder.

I have also heard the Dynomax was much better. Go with the Dynomax Super turbo if you want it pretty quiet and the UltraFlow if you want more performance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.