Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: buy a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
m.monge
I am considering buying a 914 I found for $400. I was buying a part for my brother for his 280z and I saw that the guy had 4 or 5 914's in the lot. I told him I always wanted one, so he offered me a running 914 for $400. I dont know what year, engine, or anything yet. I would buy it now if I didnt already have 3 cars. the only car I will give up is my 71 VW bus. I think I can get about $1,200-1,400 for it. so I would be able to put around $650 into it to get it working well.
so I was wondering if everyone can point me in the right direction. what are the pro's and con's of owning a 914. what does insurance run, how much does it cost to maintain a 914, does it break down and leak oil like a regular VW does? and most important, will I get more chick's in my bus, or a 914. cool.gif
thanks for your help
lapuwali
More chicks will fit in the Bus. You can only get a couple of small ones in a 914...

If you can get a running 914 for $400, you can sell the working parts for more than that. It's likely a complete rust bucket (even in CA, 914s rust) at that price. Insurance is going to depend more on you and your record than the car.
Trekkor
This should be good popcorn[1].gif

Welcome...want some popcorn?

KT
bd1308
i love buses....

what year?

i really would like to get a bus.

b
ThinAir
Be very careful about any 914 for $400. It's either a complete rust bucket or the seller is insane (in which case you can't trust them anyway).

I would not consider buying it without:
1) taking off the rocker panels and inspecting the "longs" for rust
2) inspecting the area under the battery tray for rust
3) inspecting the trunk floors for rust
4) inspecting the fender channels for rust

Did I mention that you should check for rust?

Seriously, as addictive as these cars are, you cannot minimize any rust issues. The above list is where the usual culprits can be found.

If it was me, and the 914 was worth acquiring at all, I'd keep the bus and sell something else. I'm a real fan of VW Buses. I miss my 1969 camper and 1971's are special because they were the last year with the Typle 1 motor, but with better hubs, brakes, etc. Putting a Type IV engine in a 1971 is a great combination without going to the heavier bodies of the 1972+ Buses.

Oh, and welcome to the club. The inmates in this asylum are some of the best friends you'll find anywhere and you won't find better technical advice on 914s anywhere on the planet.
VegasRacer
QUOTE (m.monge @ Jan 1 2006, 07:24 PM)
I saw that the guy had 4 or 5 914's in the lot.

Check out the other teeners this guy has. cool_shades.gif
Maybe one of them is a better buy than the one he offered first.
GWN7
Hello and welcome beerchug.gif

What they said agree.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE (m.monge @ Jan 1 2006, 06:24 PM)
how much does it cost to maintain a 914

If you're asking "how much" questions about buying a teener, a 914 is probably not for you. Even though they are unbelieveably fun to drive, and bring great pride to their owners, they are costly to own--even if you do all the work yourself. Oh yes, you better be able to work on them yourself, otherwise don't plan on having any spare change on your dresser. If you do decide to buy one, this forum is full of great guys and gals that will help --good luck!
olav

Get someone in San Jose from this non club to look at the car with you.
EdwardBlume
Keep the bus and buy the 914. The 914 is a 30+ year old sportscar that needs gas, oil, cash and a reliable alternative in the driveway. $400 for a 914 can either be a steal, or the beginning of long costly project.

"Biased" - 914s are cool though.
Bleyseng
Get the 914 and keep the bus!! I like and have both......

The 914 is way more fun to drive although it is much more fun to camp with the Westy.
rick 918-S
I can't believe no one has done this yet.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Oh ya, I just remembered, I bought a bus in late November. I work way too much. I forgot to go pick it up.. It's a runner.. screwy.gif

Oh and welcome wavey.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 1 2006, 10:06 PM)
I can't believe no one has done this yet.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

With those new sunglasses you wouldn't be able to see the pictures anyway! biggrin.gif
SuzieQ914
Chics will dig the 914 and you will definately need a drip pan. Nothing beats a 914.
neo914-6
914 I found for $400
I paid more than that for a parts car screwy.gif
280z and I saw that the guy had 4 or 5 914's in the lot.
Nissan and old Porsche parts, where is this guy???
I would buy it now if I didnt already have 3 cars
That's like everyone in CA... cool.gif
pro's
This "garage" smilie_pokal.gif
con's
This "garage" happy11.gif
does it break down and leak oil like a regular VW does?
It IS a VW! biggrin.gif
will I get more chick's in my bus, or a 914.
Depending on your personality and looks, they will like you in spite of your car... wink.gif
Pinepig
Please send me the info on the car if you don't want it. I'm looking for another 914 to play with.

Thanks Bro
MoveQik
QUOTE (SuzieQ914 @ Jan 1 2006, 09:22 PM)
Chics will dig the 914 and you will definately need a drip pan. Nothing beats a 914.

hijacked.gif Do we have a new member out here in AZ?? Welcome!
szuccaro
Let me know if you want another set of eyes to check it out with you. Steve
McMark
If you want a good runner, earmark $3k -$4k, IMHO. If you're looking for a project (read: not running most the time) get the $400 car if it's not rusty. Lots of members in the south bay. Hopefully you'll have someone help you look at it before you buy.
m.monge
Wow, thank's for all the advise. I would like for someone to go look at it with me. now I trust all you guys, so I'm just going to put my phone number online it's (408) 648-6919. the guy is in santa clara, he's a mexican guy who has been working on z cars for 30 years. he even has a 240 with a blown 350 in it. it's sweet. I have his number if anybody wants it. I dont think he's advertised selling it he just offered it to me since I wanted one. I plan on looking at it within the next week or two.

Now for the bus, I really like it but the sincros in the tranny are going out and I have to double clutch to down shift into 2 and 1st. I dont want to get rid of my 2 bugs because they are more of a project then the bus and I would end up loosing money on them if I sold them now.

Thanks for all the help, you all seem really nice, much better than the myspace people. I'll put up a report after I check it out.

Maurice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.