Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need tips for -6 motor install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
Hello all,

I'm prepping to get this conversion car done in a couple of months.. I anticipate dry fitting the motor a few times.

In the past with our -4 racecar, we would just drop the motor anytime we needed to service or repair something significant. But after helping ginter drop his -6 motor a few months back, I realized what a pain in the back (extra weight) dropping a -6 was.

1) Are there any tips/techniques or handy tools out there that you guys use for -6 motor drops?

2) I've been considering buying a true tranny jack which might help over floor jacks, does anybody else have any experience with this?

I would love to find an easy technique for this. Thanks for all of the input fellas.
brant
Brad Roberts
I honestly like the engine drop thing sold on Ebay by some fab guy in the midwest.

I hate using a floorjack with the sixes.

B
J P Stein
I have THE tool.....well, I like it wink.gif . I'll do a pic later tonight.
brant
Thanks JP, I would love a pic...
thanks brad good advice...

I gotta buy something then...
brant
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 25 2003, 01:12 PM)
I have THE tool.....well, I like it wink.gif . I'll do a pic later tonight.

is it anything like the 911 engine hoist bar sold by the birdy people ?
it was $100 and seemed like quite the deal - and since i'm looing at lifting a couple of engines a few times, seemed like it was worth the price ...
scotty
Have friends over to help (bribe them with booze and food -- tell them they'll have lots of fun!)

A motorcycle/snowmobile jack is very handy.

Make sure the thing is balanced and sturdy on the jack -- momentum is a b!tch when the engine starts to fall off!

Raise the car up about 3 feet, wheel the engine tranny under the car, lower car/raise engine as needed.

Break down and cut a prothole in the firewall so you can time the thing and change the fan belt (grrr)
Steve
I used the Pelican parts tech procedure which consists of buying a furniture dolly at Home Depot and lowering the car onto the dolley.

Steve
J P Stein
Engine lift pics. It's made in commie China. There is 14 inches of lift, so one has to do some blocking to get enuff height. It is STABLE. Up and down control is excellent. I understand the prices have dropped to under a C-note....Sears, HF, Home Despot.....yada
J P Stein
And one without the box. The dolly lands on the cam housings. The cutout is for the oil feed line under the cooler.
scotty
Ooo...that's nice! I just used styrofoam packing from computer monitor boxes. I feel another "copyright" violation in the works.... wink.gif
brant
Thanks for the pic... big time!

brant
Brad Roberts
That one does ROCK. But not the one I was thinking of.

Somebody locate the Ebay one for floorjacks.. it balances the engine.

B
brant
I'll do a search on ebay...
or if somebody has a link ?

brant
si2t3m
Like this:
IPB Image

I like JP's solution Mo better cool.gif
Marc-André
Gint
Are you guys referring to the Pelican type unit (that M-A just posted a pic of)?
Brad Roberts
I want to try that one... some guy in the midwest makes them. Buy direct and SAVE..LOL

B
Gint
Do you know who it is?
Gint
Do you have any more info on this:

I honestly like the engine drop thing sold on Ebay by some fab guy in the midwest.

I hate using a floorjack with the sixes.

B
redshift
QUOTE(si2t3m @ Aug 26 2003, 03:36 PM)
Like this:

I like JP's solution Mo better cool.gif
Marc-André

Hey man, your avatar rocks!

I wish I had that shirt, it looks super-seventies.

M
si2t3m
The Tee can be found at:

http://www.speednation.com/store/product1136.html

I like it alot!

Too bad it's $$$ to get it in another color.

Marc-André
seanery
$9.99 on ebay.
I just picked one up.
It was about $16 when all said and done.
I've got some other ones, they are the cheaper inkjet transfers and a 50/50 shirt, but it's a 914, so hey it's ok.
redshift
Awesome! Thanks fellas.

M
J P Stein
You can't appreciate how that ATV lift works till you've had a 9eleben motor WAY up in the air on a floor jack....and you have your soft pink body under the thing trying to get the fucker in position. It starts wobbling around if you look at it wrong.

One of them 600 buck landbattleship floor jacks would be gud and stable, but them 60-100 buck POS
are scary.
Rusty
Sean,

Can you send the link to the auction? Don't bogart the info.

-Rusty smoke.gif
seanery
This was it, but it's closed. Maybe send him an email confused24.gif

Ebay 914-6 tshirt
scotty
You can't appreciate how that ATV lift works till you've had a 9eleben motor WAY up in the air on a floor jack....and you have your soft pink body under the thing trying to get the fucker in position. It starts wobbling around if you look at it wrong.
I'll second that, with feeling!
Rusty
Oh, I thought you picked up the /6 motor install tool for 9.95.

Nevermind. sad.gif
airsix
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Aug 28 2003, 09:04 AM)
Oh, I thought you picked up the /6 motor install tool for 9.95.

Nevermind.   sad.gif

Yeah, this thread drifted a little, didn't it. Every time it gets bumped I go "Ohh, six conversion info... (pause) T-shrits?...What the??"
brant
So for those that have or have seen the E-bay motor mount thing...

Is is the same as the pelican tool, but at a better price (direct) .... or is a superior/inferior tool?

Also, does anybody have contact info or an email address for the producer.. or line on the better price.

tia
brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.