Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: strange thing happened last night
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OMB_Godfather
Ok so i went out to my car to take my gf home and i unlocked the door, opened the door and the fuel pump turned on whiel i still had the keys in my hand i shut the door and it wouldnt turn of i had to disconnect the battery to get it to quit. i havent looked into it yet and was wondering what you guys think.
r_towle
just a guess...but it might be an electrical issue...

Take out the door switch...un plug it and see what happens.

Rich
OMB_Godfather
Nope also looked at the connections to the dual relay to see if any were bent over and touching but no luck there. tried switching some of the relays around on the regulator plate no luck there either. i was wondering if there was a way to check the dual relay to see if it is burnt out.
bd1308
open it up...thats what i did to see the condition of my Dual Relay.

did you try unplugging your AFM to see if the pump goes off ? Or that starter connection on the relay board with that thin yellow wire....spot II, or bottom right.

b
SirAndy
QUOTE(OMB_Godfather @ Jan 2 2006, 12:00 PM)
i havent looked into it yet and was wondering what you guys think.

stock FI ??? if so, the brain is supposed to shut off the fuel pump after a few seconds. if that didn't happen, the power for the pump didn't come from the FI-Brain.

do you have any custom wiring?

was the car outside? water/moisture on the relay board?

confused24.gif Andy
OMB_Godfather
yes the car is outside and we just had a big rainstorm. it is stock Ljet fi i dotn think there is any custom wiring done i tried to put it back to original as possible. wierd that you say the fuel pump should turn off after a few seconds if the car istn started cause it never has before once i turn the key on it just stays on.
bd1308
must be wired up front...

mine was till i switched to a FI pump again...it started to melt my ignition switch.

I would say your fuel pump relay (#2/#3) is sticking.....

OR see if there are any *EXTRA* plugs are in the FI power area ( the 4-pin square plug thing) on the relay baord. If you ground out the low-left pin, the pump will run when the ignition is turned on.

b
SirAndy
QUOTE(OMB_Godfather @ Jan 2 2006, 01:15 PM)
wierd that you say the fuel pump should turn off after a few seconds if the car istn started cause it never has before once i turn the key on it just stays on.

aha, L-Jet ... ok, forget about what i just said ... smile.gif

still, i bet it's moisture ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
OMB_Godfather
(hoping) shoudl it just go back to normal once it dries out or is my relay board fried
SirAndy
QUOTE(OMB_Godfather @ Jan 2 2006, 01:23 PM)
(hoping) shoudl it just go back to normal once it dries out or is my relay board fried

there really isn't anything on your relay board to fry ... biggrin.gif

as long as you didn't blow a fuse ...

i know nothing about L-Jet wiring so i can't really recommend a place to look, sorry ...
cool.gif Andy
OMB_Godfather
ok so i did some diggin (and some cleaning out of hell hole) and i foudn that my dual relay has power from the battery going to 2 points on the relay. i dont know the pin numbers. does anybody have a wiring guide for that relay. also once i took the spare power off my problem was seemingly fixed the fuel pump only turned on while the key is on. but now it still runs like crap im miss firing, due to what i have no idea. is the dual relay supposed to be hot while the car is running?
bd1308
no the dual relay should not be hot to the touch. Mine barely gets warm.

Snap some pics...the wiring stuff is still fresh in my head.

you should have two places for battery power going to the dual relay...

b
OMB_Godfather
i took a few pics mind you its very windy here and my parents decided to put in a tree that has a lot of littel leaves that get everywhere
OMB_Godfather
relay board
OMB_Godfather
relay board again i removed that big silver box thing (what is that) to get a better pic. also what purpose does that yellow wire have that goes to the four connections on the left
bd1308
that yellow wire tells L-jet to kick the fuel pump on when the starter is engaged.

The silver box is the Voltage Regulator.

Make real sure all of the connections are good, i noticed a repair crimp done to that one supply connection.

b
bd1308
hold up, lemme get my haynes.

i think i see a problem.

b
bd1308
yep.

that yellow wire should be on pin II, which is the lower right pin, not the upper right pin.

b
Dead Air
QUOTE(OMB_Godfather @ Jan 2 2006, 12:00 PM)
i havent looked into it yet and was wondering what you guys think.

[QUOTE]

I think your car's possesed.

Your pics are giving me a head ache wink.gif
bd1308
move the yellow wire to pin II,

and check that relay by temporarily replacing it with another relay....the headlight one is fine.

b
SirAndy
dood, what happened to the connectors on your relay board ???

and get a cover for it when you get a chance ...
wink.gif Andy
smac
I had the identical problem last year. I tapped the dual relay with a wrench smash.gif and the pump shut off. I replaced the relay and the problem was fixed. smile.gif
OMB_Godfather
that yellwo wire fixed it. i switched it to the #2 connector and it worked fine all i had to do is run it for a bit to clean it out. the ugly connectors is my efforts at putting it back to original. the previous owner had those 2 wires just straight connected together bipassing the relay board so i put them back the best i could its only electrical tape to insulate it and protect it from grounding on another connector
SirAndy
QUOTE(OMB_Godfather @ Jan 2 2006, 10:24 PM)
so i put them back the best i could its only electrical tape to insulate it and protect it from grounding on another connector

get yourself a set of the original plastic housings for the connectors ...

beerchug.gif Andy
bd1308
HOLY CRAP...andy did you just see that? I actually helped someone ohmy.gif

b
SirAndy
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jan 3 2006, 07:35 AM)
HOLY CRAP...andy did you just see that? I actually helped someone ohmy.gif

damm! what's next? hair on your chest? biggrin.gif

i'm proud of you!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
lapuwali
Those plastic connector housings are hard to find, and only available used. I agree you should try to find some, though.
bd1308
if ya really really really really need one, i have one....

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.