Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New tow vehicle (hopefully)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
I guess we'd better get on with this war...I'll need the gas fighting19.gif

Going to go check-out and hopefully buy a Land Cruiser (2001) Friday. V-day gift for the wife (her daily driver / mommy wagon) and ocassional tow vehicle for me. Supposedly they are pretty decent for light/medium duty towing; rated 6500lbs and fairly long wheelbase and very strong chassis; 4.7L DOHC V8 with ~320lb-ft of torque.

If things ever got REALLY ugly here in LA (war, huge quake etc)...a Hummer is about the only vehicle I'd rather have on hand than a Land Crusher.

Hopefully it will work out. The wife has been driving various real POS cars for 6 months so she will really appreciate it.

I also have a lead on a nice single axle trailer nearby, from an old friend whose dad just passed away. He used it to haul his concours early American cars and custom hotrods to shows.

So I'm doing my part to help the economy...I just hired 2 people at work and am buying $20K in new equipment too. I have looked at over 500 resumes since December. It's still pretty ugly out there I guess.
Brad Roberts
No way. Campbell with a tow rig ?? Stop the world.

Singles axle trailers can be real tricky when you get a flat (YEE-Haw)

B
fuch toy
Add another axle or pass.....or insure the hell out of everything. Brad is right about flats.....we had one on the triple axle trailer and it scared us..... unsure.gif
campbellcj
Good point...I have zero commitment on the trailer, it was just a lead that came up in Superbowl party conversation. I need something cheap, easy to move around & store though. Ideally with a wheel/tire rack. No rush cuz now I'm dead-ass broke again for a few more months (if the SUV deal goes thru). I can always rent U-Haul trailers to go to the far away tracks if needed.
joea9146
This is a little over kill but it gets the job done, some where between a Landcruiser and a Hummer biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Just trying to keep you safe. A short trailer with a single axle combined with a short wheelbase tow vehicle can cause big problems quickly.

I saw something fly off of Mikeys trailer as I was driving his tow rig and imediately started pulling over right as the tire blew. Chunks of it where flying off and one of them caught my eye "right before disaster struck" LOL

B
Brad Roberts
Nice rig. Most of the people I know with diesel trucks sold them for V10 Dodges. Long hauls sucked because of the noise while under load with trailer and junk.

B
L8Apex
WEAK! you need one of these!

IPB Image

aktion035.gif
Mike D.
My neighbor has a really nice double axle flatbed for sale here in Santa Clarita. He used load it up with his dune buggy, quad, dual sports etc., and pull it behind his RV. He just got a box and is now getting rid of this one. I think he wants $1300. It's longer than a 914 for sure. Interested?
-Mike D.
Mark Henry
I have a single axle and I've never had a problem. I built it myself for VW beetles back in 1992. It has the rear wheels moved back for the rear engine bug, and it tracks like a champ.

I used to have a Toyota P/U and it just had a 2.4-liter 4cyl in it. I towed a 67 VW bus home from Manassas Va. (600 miles), a customers 61 bus from Quebec city (450 miles) then to Ottawa (200 miles) and back again another 200 miles. I got bugs from as far as Alabama at least 1-2 per year. Between my friends and I it towed 50+ cars per year. I had the 914 on it, but it has to be moved all the way to the back and it will only fit a narrow body. A couple of friends have even used it to move water-cooled's but you have to put them on backwards.

Now I would never recommend this type of use (LOL) but I never had a problem.

Hey, they don’t call us Crazy Canucks for nothing. blink.gif
J P Stein
I gotta admit, I'd like a double axle trailer and 15 or 20 came across my radar screen AFTER I bought the single axle... and dumped a bunch of money into it.confused24.gif

First thing I bought were new trailer spec tires.

Can I keep it?...please?
jdogg
Make sure no matter what trailer you get, you properly load the tongue. Years ago, my father and I loaded up my ministock on a trailer we had not used before. It was a twin axle, but the axles were welded to the frame (no suspension). We thought we would be smart, since the trailer was so heavy and back the car on the trailer to lighten the tongue load on the truck. Well, due to there being no suspension, the axles acted like a fulcrum and took a lot of weight off the tongue. Stupidly, we took off. Got a couple miles down the road, on an entrance ramp to I-84, and a gust of wind picked up and blew us right around in the middle of the interstate!!!!!Blew out both right side tires, but since it was a twin axle, we took one good tire off the other side and limped it home.
Never again will I haul a car on anything less than a twin axle, suspended trailer properly loaded.
jdogg
Joea9146-
Where in Ct. are you? I grew up in Ct. til I was 22, then moved here to NC 10 years ago. We go home to visit family a couple times per year in Willington and Ellington.
GWN7
I second the vote for dual wheels on the trailer. So when this happens to you at night you can still make a few more miles.
joea9146
Jdogg:

I am just outside New Haven.... there are also 3 other guys I know of on this board 2 from the Danbury Area an RacerChris from the Greater Hartford Area. Have to stop in if you are ever on the area
campbellcj
MikeD - thanks for the lead. Assuming I pick up this SUV (tomorrow) then I next have to get my -6 installed in the teener AND fend off the IRS and LaCo (property) tax collector. THEN I can think about the trailer....ugh!

Oh yeah (Sammy will appreciate this)...the wife is bugging me to remodel the master bathroom too :toilet:
URY914
Here's mine. Aluminum trailer with aluminum tool box. I built the box. I get as many questions on the trailer as I do the car.
jdogg
Joea9146-
Yeah, next tiime I'm up I'll try to look you guys up. I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Chris Foley just this past Christmas - I had him bend a main hoop for a rollbar for my car. He is a real nice guy, and does DAMN good work too. I assume from your signature you have a 6 conversion, what motor are you running?
joea9146
Jdogg:

I am running a 3.0 with webers and headers and MSD ignition.
Chris is a good guy I have been to his shop one of the few that can weld the Magnesium Case
on the 914 transmission, he welded mine when I busted off the ear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.