Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another day in So. Cal...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Malmz
Sorry if you got this on another list. Just for fun, some picts from my adventure today to one of our local shops to pick up some parts.

http://www.malmz.com/forfun/
drew365
I've seen that shop at Robertson and the 10 fwy. Looks like a nice place to visit.
Brad Roberts
You watching Rob ??

Just like that.

B
redshift
Yeah hey, they gotta be doing 150 a week.

M
seanery
I hate that shop.
They are scammers into "bling" not substance.
redshift
Modern cars? 100% bling.

smile.gif

What's your point?

M
Brad Roberts
Get ready Sean.. I may go BLING.. that is where the money is. Not in restoring 30 year old cars with "substance".

No joke. Thinking about doing a place JUST LIKE THAT.

B
seanery
as long as you aren't a sleezy scumbag, it's ok.

No love lost for mike's company!
ChrisReale
QUOTE(seanery @ Aug 26 2003, 12:13 PM)
as long as you aren't a sleezy scumbag, it's ok.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Looks like I'm out sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

OK.. restoring cars with substance it is.. BORING.

B
seanery
substance doesn't mean 30 yo cars.

they may do more than they used to, but it was bolt on a pair of shiny wheels, add some fake carbon fiber and boom! Aren't we cool. NO!

I know they are making some ducks now. I don't know how SF compares to LaLaLand, where bling is what's most important.
campbellcj
For the most part, it ain't the 30 year old 914/911 crowd that shows up at the track with pro driven semi rigs, pit crews, catered lunches, Snap-On roller tool chests, and new Goodyear slicks every event...

The BLINGBLING water pumper cars are where the money is, like it or not... I drive thru SM/Pali/Malibu every day and see 25-35 year old "kids" every day driving 996tt's, AMG Benz's, 360 Modenas, anything you imagine.

How much is the markup on a $3500 set of 996 wheels? Not chump change, I bet. Plus $1000 for tires and then $100/hour to torque the buyers' lug nuts for them, so they don't get their Gucci loafers dirty. And then why not add a $5000 carbon-fiber-look interior trim package and a $5000 aero bodykit for good measure...

Sick money is still out there and can be tapped if you find the right niche and marketing strategy.
Malmz
Believe me, there is plenty of substance that comes out of the shop. A lot of performance goodies underneath many of their projects with a candy wrapping. The service owner has several 914 v8 conversions in the last years as well. That is his 911 Speedster conversion in the picts with the 383 stroker in it.

I just deal with the service end, not the sales shop, but If I could pay all my overhead selling and bolting on 20s, I would do it all day in a heartbeat. Bling bling is right...

sm
aufaber
Looks like pictures of a parking lot in newport. rolleyes.gif

-Aaron G.
seanery
what where the license plate frames I used to see there - NEWPORSCHE BEACH ?
campbellcj
I saw the cars that By Design brought out to the POC Tribute event (for display). Definitely high on bling-bling but they were balls-out performance cars too. Schwing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.