Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Depressing Discovery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swl
I deluded myself into thinking my frame had to be solid. Really hasn't seem much salt over it's life and had been rust proofed. But I've been seeing more and more 'bad spots' the more I dug into it. Today I took off the drivers side rocker panels and I'm not happy with what I found. Look what the body guy did when he removed my jack point - slapped on some fiberglass without any surface prep at all. This is the inside of the patch.
swl
and you all know what that leads to.
GeorgeRud
Here comes new longitudinal clamshell welding man to the rescue!
McMark
sad.gif That's rough. sad.gif
swl
from the side
r_towle
that will buff right out...

R
736conver
Not good. The first 914 I bought was 80% fiberglass on the rear floor. It look good at the time of purchase. Didnt find out until a few months later.
Hopefully that is all you find from the PO.
McMark
Ehh..... nothing a little fiberglass wont fix. lol2.gif Oh, maybe you're not ready for jokes. sad.gif
swl
and the bottom is probably worse
URY914
On eBay that is a "no rust" car. wink.gif
bd1308
i found out a week ago that my long was shot as well.....

i need a welder.

b
swl
I thumped around with a hammer and it sounds like it doesn't creep too much farther but it is hard to know for sure. I have seen a lot worse here that has been repaired but I'm not a welder. I have to get someone else to do it. It looks like the rot goes high enough that the quarter panel would have to be cut and that would drive the cost of the repair beyond what the car is worth.

Add it to the problem with the inner and I think this tub may be a gonner.
swl
QUOTE (736conver @ Jan 2 2006, 12:23 PM)
Hopefully that is all you find from the PO.

I am the PO! Nothing to blame this on other than time and our miserable northern road conditions. But it helps to blame the body guy too!
swl
If I were in cali I'd be looking around for a good tub rather than messing with this one. Mind you if I were in cali this would never have happened right?

Gonna have to get some picks to Mike G and see what he thinks.
McMark
Shipping a chassis or runner will be cheaper than fixing. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (swl @ Jan 2 2006, 12:41 PM)
I have to get someone else to do it.

you might wanna switch body shops! ohmy.gif
swl
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 2 2006, 12:54 PM)
you might wanna switch body shops! ohmy.gif

capitalism has worked on this one - the guy is long since out of business. Mike G is only an hour or so away and he specializes in 914. I can trust him.

S what would a good chassis cost down there and how would a fella go about finding one?
dmenche914
I have ran away from amny "california rust free 914's" They is pretty rusty out here, has to do with the design that holds water, thin gage metal, and lack of galvinization on these fine cars.

good luck
lagunero
TonyAKAvw has a chassis for $350US in CA
Mark Henry
Steve

Mike make's his own clamshells and his repairs are top notch, but that's not going to be cheap. I've seen him fix stuff that was worse.

He also has a good tub and will do trades so don't give up yet.
I know your this is your car but if a different tub would be better in the longrun I'd go for it.
swl
You're right Mark. The machine has a lot of nostalgia in it for me but money talks. Certainly a good chassis would be a faster way of getting the beast on the road for Devon . Just a matter of whether or not I want to spend that much money on it. I'm off for another week so I may pop down and talk to Mike - see what he can do for me.
MecGen
Hi

Thats just a nasty find ohmy.gif

What to do now? spend a gabillion dollars on it, or buy another tub and spend gabillions, or spend gabillions on a perfect 914....gotta love these cars headbang.gif
My Green 73 might be right for you, in my bog.

Later

beer.gif
GWN7
There is always the option of buying a welder and learning how to use it.

A welder, simple hand tools, time and space to work on it can save you a lot of $$ in the long run. And it's still your car.
michel richard
I sold a very good tub to Mike a couple of months ago, he may still have it. It was in California until 2002.
Pugbug
I'd be careful with that hammer....Looks like it's ready to fold. I saw a 914 the other day at the wreckers...They tried to lift it with a fork lift, and now it sits on the ground with only the front and rear bumpers touching.
swl
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jan 2 2006, 08:28 PM)
There is always the option of buying a welder and learning how to use it.

A welder, simple hand tools, time and space to work on it can save you a lot of $$ in the long run. And it's still your car.

Bruce - Do you remember the line from blazing saddles - 'yeah but I shoot with this hand' ...

Hand - eye coordination wasn't included in my option package. Much better results if I do the prep and get someone who knows his stuff to do the welding.

Larry - it really is odd that this thing is not showing signs of sagging. Maybe the rot is really concentrated in this 8-10 inches and the rest is ok (where is the dreamer smiley). Gonna be real careful how I lift it until this thing is resolved. Engine is coming out today, bumpers and hoods to follow just to get the standing weight down. Then I'll poke around some more and then go looking for a chassis. Maybe Michel's old one :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.