Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My lightweight project update:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I'm progressing on getting it ready to paint and one item that I need to finish is the "tonneau cover" over the passenger seat area. I decided to add these two NACA ducts that I have been carrying around with me for 15 years. They are fiberglass and will mold into the cover real easy. I don't know if they will really do anything but they may suck some air down into the engine. I'll tape some 3" hoses to them and stick the discharge end into the cooling fan.

I have to change the cover because I changed the roll bar supports. I used to have a big bar going to the top of the main hoop but that was changed and lowered to the center. This required the cover to be changed. It now can be molded to match the left side radius and I'm adding a 3/8" edge flange for strength. I'm kinda going for the 908-3 look.
URY914
Pic 2
URY914
Pic 3
URY914
Pic 4
URY914
Here is the 908-3 look I'm sorta going for. Well my car is not a center seat, and it doen't have a flat-8 3.0 and it doesn't cost 1 million $$ but you get the idea.biggrin.gif

URY914
If you look close in the above pics you'll see my fiberglass targa bar. I just popped it off the form and it is real rough still. Here are some better shots of it.
URY914
I need to add some on the rear edge and turn it down. It will have to be removable so I can't mold it into the side panels.

URY914
For the targa bar I used three layers of foam board and slide it into the stock chrome trim piece that is on the back side of the targa bar. The foam board conformed to the shape trim piece and than I covered it with a few layers of f/g mat and let it bake in the sun. After it curred I pulled the trim off and pulled it off the foam board. Perfect shape!! biggrin.gif

Here is an end shot showing the chrome trim with the foam board.
JmuRiz
Looking good, now when you do paint you need to do the arrow graphic like the Targa Floria 908 cars:
user posted image
URY914
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Jan 3 2006, 07:22 AM)
Looking good, now when you do paint you need to do the arrow graphic like the Targa Floria 908 cars:
user posted image

Yep, I'm thinking of an arrow too. Maybe a yellow one running from the rear trunk all the way to the front.
I need a Photoshop artist. (hint, hint, hint)

PS, thanks for replying, I was beginning to think no one loved me anymore.... sad.gif

Paul
nynone4
Paul - send me a full pic of your car. I'd be happy to photoshop a color scheme on it for ya. biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE (nynone4 @ Jan 3 2006, 08:03 AM)
Paul - send me a full pic of your car. I'd be happy to photoshop a color scheme on it for ya. biggrin.gif

Thanks!

But I don't have good pictures with this current set up. I'll have to get it off the jackstands (!) and get it out in the open and take some good shots of it. Maybe this weekend will be good.

Paul
jonwatts
Looks itchy and scratchy smile.gif

How fast do you drive at your AXes? Some of those pieces don't look strong enough to hold up to a good wind!

Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif Sweet! That thing looks so light now!
ken914
Very cool!

Can't wait for the outside photos so we can see the whole thing!
maf914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 2 2006, 12:35 PM)
I decided to add these two NACA ducts that I have been carrying around with me for 15 years. They are fiberglass and will mold into the cover real easy. I don't know if they will really do anything but they may suck some air down into the engine. I'll tape some 3" hoses to them and stick the discharge end into the cooling fan.

Looking good, Paul.

If you find that the NACA scoops aren't drawing in enough air you might want to try adding a few vortex generators in front of each inlet. idea.gif If nothing else, it will make the competition wonder what the hell you're up to! laugh.gif

PS, I learned that from the raised roof thread this morning and the link to vortex generators. Good info, not that I understand it all. wacko.gif But now I know why the Chaparral 2H had vortex generators in front of its air intakes. Cool. biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jan 3 2006, 08:15 AM)
Looks itchy and scratchy smile.gif

How fast do you drive at your AXes? Some of those pieces don't look strong enough to hold up to a good wind!

I drive REAL fast. happy11.gif

If it breaks I'll fix it.

Paul
Jake Raby
Cover those air filters! That engine doesn'tneed to ingest those dust particles....
URY914
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 3 2006, 10:08 AM)
Cover those air filters! That engine doesn'tneed to ingest those dust particles....

They are covered. Those are K&N filters. I'll blow out the dust before I start it.
r_towle
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 3 2006, 01:08 PM)

you better take care of that motor....

Or "No motor for you" (seinfeld) Laugh Jake...its a joke...

I love that jake sees one of his motors...and gets on to say cover up that motor now...or no soup for you...

Jake, you need a white lab jacket...

It reminds me of a freinds story.

He would bring his porsche to a shop in boston..

The mechanic would come outside in his blue lab coat...
The guy would spend twenty minutes giving the customer a hard time about how he was not taking good care of his porsche...

It was a funny story, german accent and all...

Rich
Stutgart46
It's looking great Paul.
When do you think it will be finished? I might make a trip to Tampa just to see it go. smile.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Stutgart46 @ Jan 3 2006, 11:32 AM)
It's looking great Paul.
When do you think it will be finished? I might make a trip to Tampa just to see it go. smile.gif

Finished?!?!?!!? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This beast will NEVER be finished.

(althought I told my wife after I get it painted I'll get back to working on the house)

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.